Sign in to follow this  
Harper

LSB E46 M3

Shame i was going to keep bidding but the autobidders bid was removed just before auction end.

Truthful or not all trust in the sale has gone haha.

On 2/16/2021 at 4:21 PM, leichtbau said:

Did some digging on the LSB hard tops, further to what @M3_Power said; 2x NZ new cars, 2x Japan cars, one of which was the 14th ever E46 M3 produced - a 08/2000 build pre-production example, and another 2x cars that might have had a "respray."

Think the rarest colours in NZ would have to be the sole Oxford Green example (RIP) and the Estoril Blue one.

One of those LSB met its demise when it went from  Wgtn to Auckland a few years back . Owner of the time struggled to get miid $30s.  But it was another immaculate example .

Yesterday’s price is what I paid for my M3 in 2011 when it had 48,000 km on the clock. Great to see the value coming back on theses and hopefully the same happens with the boring colours like

mine.

• Like 3

At 150k you'd have to say it's a driver and not a full collector car. 

I guess the question is what is the premium for the colour? Obviously quite a lot, but is it $5k or $15k? 

Given that red (meh) one sold with 150k too for mid $40s, ceterus paribus, I reckon boring colours are $40k now. 

Might have to revise insurance again...

18 hours ago, Camu said:

Shame i was going to keep bidding but the autobidders bid was removed just before auction end.

Truthful or not all trust in the sale has gone haha.

Hi Camu. I'm happy to share the text from the bidder who asked to be removed. I was just as frustrated as you, to be messed around by a trademe bidder, only 5 hours before the auction close.

With the hassle with this sale, I won't use the auction feature on trademe again.

• Like 2

@m325i Being a 2001 car also reduces it's value a bit IMO. Front strut towers are a little different and doesn't have the strut brace, older LCM (this might have been updated as it has facelift tail lights) and DSC system ETC. Some even claim more prone to rod bearing issues. Definite premium for a 03.5+ car. None of the big 3 addressed either. Positives being rare colour, factory manual, NZ New.

I would say this is a pretty encouraging price for the M3 owners.

Edited by Harper
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Harper said:

@m325i Being a 2001 car also reduces it's value a bit IMO. ... DSC system ETC. Some even claim more prone to rod bearing issues. Definite premium for a 03.5+ car. None of the big 3 addressed either. Positives being rare colour, factory manual, NZ New.

I would say this is a pretty encouraging price for the M3 owners.

Good point. I wouldn't consider buying an MK20 car. 03.5+ doesn't matter to me though. (Mine is MK60 but pre 03.5). 

But that blue does make people thirsty, no doubt about that. 

Personally I’m pleased for the old owners to see a car that’s obviously been looked after and driven go for a leading market price.
The only think I’d tyre kick is the front rotors and put them back to BMW spec ones next cycle. A very minor thing in the scheme of things.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2021 at 4:42 PM, m325i said:

Good point. I wouldn't consider buying an MK20 car. 03.5+ doesn't matter to me though. (Mine is MK60 but pre 03.5). 

But that blue does make people thirsty, no doubt about that. 

Does the mk60 so much when the DSC is off ?  Or is it a bit of a safety net.

personally mk20 settings perfect for road and I tend to turn DSC off on the track as it retards second gear corner exits too much.  Mdiff is quite fun on Taupo short track without the interference of DSC.

On 3/5/2021 at 9:55 PM, Neal said:

Does the mk60 so much when the DSC is off ?  Or is it a bit of a safety net.

personally mk20 settings perfect for road and I tend to turn DSC off on the track as it retards second gear corner exits too much.  Mdiff is quite fun on Taupo short track without the interference of DSC.

MK60 is considerably less invasive than the MK20 and can be coded for different rack ratios and brake bias. The ABS thresholds are also different and performance is better with the MK60. The MK60 allows for the use of M track mode which allows even more slip before traction control kicks in. The DSC interference you describe on track likely wouldn't happen with MK60/MTM while still retaining traction control for if it slipped too far, not to mention better ABS. 

Not an easy thing to convert over either as there are a lot of different sensors and wiring that needs to be retrofitted, not to mention the actual cost of the module/ABS pump etc.

For a purely road driven stock car there is unlikely to be much difference but it really depends how aggressive you drive on the street. 

Edited by Harper
  • Like 1

I’m not in the market for an E46 M3 and likely won’t be with the way the market is but I would definitely pay a premium for the right colour.

A nostalgia hero car like this ideally needs to be the right colour (for the buyer) IMO.

Which is totally subjective as well - especially when the two ‘hero’ colours are a little bit marmite.

Personally I would want Mystic Blue / Silver Grey / Imola but could totally see why LSB could command a 10-20% premium.

Im the opposite lol, I'd just buy the cheapest one with the best condition/history, regardless of the colour. I wouldnt pay extra for a colour, especially LSB as i think its ugly 😅

• Like 4

5 hours ago, KwS said:

Im the opposite lol, I'd just buy the cheapest one with the best condition/history, regardless of the colour. I wouldnt pay extra for a colour, especially LSB as i think its ugly 😅

I'm a poser though haha

• Haha 3

Well, interesting reading, I now own Ray’s LSB M3, picked it up last week, love the car & had to have that colour 

D607FA40-278B-4D7B-9655-0431788AE429.jpeg

• Like 6

I just looked, man I need to weed my driveway!! Ha Ha

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Autoglym said:

Well, interesting reading, I now own Ray’s LSB M3, picked it up last week, love the car & had to have that colour 

D607FA40-278B-4D7B-9655-0431788AE429.jpeg

That'll be the LSB I spotted the other day then (albeit I cant remember where haha). It sure stands out.

On 3/18/2021 at 9:19 AM, Blackie said:

La la, la la la la ....

Hey Blackie, post some photos of your car!!

11 hours ago, Autoglym said:

Hey Blackie, post some photos of your car!!

Check through some of my posts, I've had a few!!

On 3/18/2021 at 8:12 AM, Autoglym said:

I just looked, man I need to weed my driveway!! Ha Ha

You have obviously found some rare BMW’s that don’t leak oil and kill the weeds! Congratulations 😂