Sign in to follow this  
Herbmiester

E70 35i

Does anyone have experince with the N55 powered E70? I am in the market for a diesel but I have found a few 35i's that tick the specification boxes. I assume it will be a nice drive with the turbo torque and zf 8 speed. Curoius to hear about reliability and fuel economy.

Im currently driving the F25 X3 35i N55 with ZF8 and Xdrive - Its fantastic.

Less noisy than a diesel, plenty of power across the board, cool turbo woosh noises, and of course the fantastic 8 speed gearbox.

As reliable as any other BMW, the N55 just really needs good oil and regular oil changes, typical cooling system parts, probably the plastic charge pipe.

Nothing else major (Ive owned the N55 for over 2 years in the M135 remember?)

Fuel economy wise mine is sitting on 9.5L/100km for mixed highway/crawling traffic driving and I dont nanna it.

• Like 2

Yep just oil leaks.  The n55 can be surprisingly frugal.  I managed 6.2l/100k from Bombay to Hamilton once.

• Like 1

Fantastic engines, daily drove my 135i with a n55 for 3+ years and had zero issues. Economy wise the 135i only had a 50l tank and I never got over 400km to a tank around town (Auckland traffic), on the open road I managed to get 500+. I expect economy to be quite a bit worse in a much heavier chassis.  Never even leaked a drop of oil. Regular maintenance is key along with an alloy charge pipe. I actually think it'll be fine in an E70 chassis. Best to test drive and see I guess?

Edited by Navin
  • Like 1

My sense is the diesel torque suits the trucks better than the N55 (they're not sporty) - but 3-5k pays for a lot of extra gas...

• Like 1

Hi N55 8speed in F36 (435i) in the heavy gran coupe body.....drives very well loads of torque and turbo response is from 1,200 rpm on. No lag from the twin scroll turbo set up, so in traffic or cruising long distance plenty of performance.  Fuel economy in Auckland traffic is 9.8-10.5 L/100km, but on trip to Tauranga easy to see 7-7.5 L/100km. Six cylinder sound is something to enjoy, and will make you grin each time you see +3,500 rpm...enjoy if you do buy  

Those N55’s are nice, but I’d go with the diesel especially if towing. Just returned from 3k of towing the boat around the South Island and they’re effortless and economical. Having had petrol and diesel SUV’s. Their heft is far more suited to diesel.

Edited by str8_6
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, 3pedals said:

At 1600 odd kg the F36 is a lightweight compared to an E70 at 2300kg  the E70 is about 43% heavier  or like driving around with 18 bags of cement in the boot - unlikely to be as much fun. 

I'd stick with plan A mr Herbert - go for the diesel particularly if you expect to tow anythng or load it up - the diesel doesn't even notice a tonne on the trailer  @ 1500 kg you know its there.  Doubt the N55  would be so nonchalant with a load  

Yes I agree, I went with a 40d 225kw 600nm. I did have a drive in a 35i and thought it a decent engine with enough torque but the 40d is a powerhouse Diesel and won me over. It will tow a boat and have 5 mountain bikes on the back so the Diesel made more sense in the end. 

• Like 2