Sign in to follow this  
Cement

E46 Clutch hard line install - Dash out ?

I'm swapping from auto to manual as part of my project and I have the BMW clutch hard line to install ... of course every video on the all knowing interweb is for left hand drive where its super easy. Has anybody done the line install on a right hand drive and what was required ?

From the looks I need to get the carpet back far enough to route the line from one side of the car to the other ... and for that the dash would have to come out. Please tell me there is this one weird old trick which adds inches over night, loses belly fat and gets that line in there without a ball busting detour to dash town !?

• Like 1

Ive done 2x swaps now, and yes its the worst part of the whole exercise.

You don't need to remove the dash. It does go under the heater box between the floor.. - yes you need to fold the carpet back, particularly on the pax side to access the hole to the underside.

I found if you carefully feed the line from passengers to the drivers side, (remove the small o'ring first so you don't damage it in the process!) below the heater box, with a bit of patience and a couple of tweaks to the shape of the steel pipe, you'll get it through...

- it takes a fair amount of bending the line both getting it to go through and getting the correct angles to fit into the master cylinder correctly - have a bit of a think about the bends in the line before you start so you can "restore" the bends when you get it through.. ie don't try and put a bend the opposite way it was bent before or you may collapse the pipe.. 

Good luck!

Thanks @Dogballs ... not sure if you've given me hope or put me off completely hahaha. Will have a gentle poke and prod and go from there :)

this might help you 

• Like 1

Thanks for the video guide @BM WORLD !! Managed to get the line in place last night, had to basically straighten half of the tube out but it sure beats taking the dash out :D