Sign in to follow this  
wrs

Early E36 Steering Wheel Replacement Options

I have an early model E36 Coupe, 1992, originally 325i M-Technik pre-airbag 3-spoke steering wheel. The original part was 32332227206, column shaft 32311159160.

It was buggered and I tried getting it redone which worked for a while but it's starting to degrade again.

What I'm looking for is any late model 3-spoke steering wheel that will fit the spline and bolt-in. Obviously pre-airbag and per everything except ABS the slip rings don't need to work or even be fitted. The airbag can be removed too if that's possible and still have the steering wheel assembled correctly.

So, does anybody know which 3-spoke steering wheels will fit the E36 02/92 325i M-Technik column?

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E36-Coupe/Europe/325i-M50/R/1992/browse/steering/

these is about 3 or 4 types that fit the older e36 , 

ugly as 4 spoke type and 3 3 spoke types one with airbag

Edited by BM WORLD

Thanks for this info. I'm more interested in late model steering wheels from the E90 or later. The only things of concern are:

1. Will it fit the spline.

2. Will it go together with all covers etc with the airbag removed.

3. Will the horn work.

4. Will the auto-indicator off function correctly.

I don't care if none of the buttons work as long as it fits. Some of the newer vehicle steering wheels look really good and if they will fit would make a nice upgrade. I'd rather keep to original BMW steering wheels but if that isn't possible will look at other alternatives.

Since you dont have an airbag to worry about, just get a boss kit and slam a nice Momo or Nardi on there.

You'll still have to wire up the horn. Even an OEM wheel without the slipring won't have a working horn.

On the Z3 forums, lots of the UK owners are getting their steering wheels refurbished or modified by Royal https://royalsteeringwheels.com/  They have a great reputation.

The USA owners are starting to follow and use the same firm.

It would mean shipping your steering wheel to the UK and not being about to use the car for a while.  But it is an option depending on your repair/restoration/cost objectives.

There are two different types in relation to the clockspring and the indicator/wiper stalks I believe are slightly different. However I managed to make the other clockspring type fit on to my car with the use of a twist tie to keep the clocksprings from turning with the wheel, but still easy to remove. Let me know if you want more details. Basically, from my experience you can fit any wheel on as long as you sort this out.

3 minutes ago, M M said:

There are two different types in relation to the clockspring and the indicator/wiper stalks I believe are slightly different. However I managed to make the other clockspring type fit on to my car with the use of a twist tie to keep the clocksprings from turning with the wheel, but still easy to remove. Let me know if you want more details. Basically, from my experience you can fit any wheel on as long as you sort this out.

Thanks. Was pretty sure this would be the case. If the splines are the same on later model steering wheels I thought it wouldn't be too difficult to adapt a later model steering wheel to work. I'd be very interested in the details please.

30 minutes ago, wrs said:

Thanks. Was pretty sure this would be the case. If the splines are the same on later model steering wheels I thought it wouldn't be too difficult to adapt a later model steering wheel to work. I'd be very interested in the details please.

It's been a while since I did it but if I remember correctly there is a white pin with a spring (top right I think) that holds the back of the clockspring in place. I had to remove that from my indicator/wiper stalks in order for the later clockspring to be able to go on. The later clockspring has that pin on the bottom left (again I think), so what I did was used a twistytie in the hole that that pin would go and tied it to something i found on the column. That way the steering wheel and clockspring can still be removed easily (for alignment purposes etc). This will all probably make a lot more sense once the wheel is off and you see what I'm talking about.

Excellent, thanks. Now I need to find alternative steering wheels to check for fitment. It's still possible the back of the steering wheel where it meets the column will have issues but I won't know until I try.

All the info I've found so far is referencing airbags not working due to slip-ring differences. Since I don't need the airbag feature and don't care if buttons don't work the only issue I'm interested in is the spline and interference with the column. Sounds like the spring change is possible since it's been done already. The biggest issue where I live is lack of suppliers with second hand steering wheels. I'll probably need to go to Auckland or Hamilton to visit some wreckers to see if they have anything to try for fitment.

Edited by wrs

I don't think you should face interference problems with the back of the wheel. I have an early car with a later boss kit & clockspring, I didn't have any issues with that.

, hi ,

im far  !

but il check my  oem steering  wheels for a preface e36 !