Sign in to follow this  
Mattrixx

E39 M5 6 speed manual

I think I know what a bleeding fish feels like in a pool of sharks...hahaha

Any one in possession of a E39 2002 six speed manual. Delivered New Zealand new. Top price paid for a top car. Bought a 540i E39 and was going to spend some money on it bringing it back to spec, but then thought I would prefer to spend the money on a more "possibly appreciable" E39 M5. So I am looking to go from the poor mans M5, to a real mans M5. Can anyone assist.

Please let me know if anyone has one sitting idle gathering dust or the wife has asked you to sell it because she needs the garage space. I am based in Auckland. Thank you.

Wave some $$, there are a few around but tightly held and people who know about them wont tell you. 
Last I heard a nice late model example with under 100,000km turned down an offer over $50k

Thanks Andrew, I figured.....thanks for the feedback. Divorce present to myself.

I was in the market for one but ended up getting a c63 amg instead aftermy 540i. 

It doesn’t have the classic appeal of the e39 m5 or a true manual gearbox but i found it cheaper for a facelift 2012 c63 vs a 2002/2003 m5 and superior in every other way. 
noise, power, handling, tech, reliability, (facelift only) and definately braking. 

With the new c63 likely a 4cylinder turbo hybrid theres starting to be some price increases on the later model 6.2 litre ones. 

Its a clutched automatic, no torque converter so i actually use the paddles on it and they do something plus the kickdown noise is great. 

Edited by andrewm

Thanks Andrew, I penned a response on my phone and then could not load it on. Attached my jpg reply. Thank you.

Reply to Andrew.jpg

Is your 540i an msport?

I might know a person that knows a person with an e39 M5 who could be tempted to sell theres for the right amount.

• Like 1

Thank you Shirantha

Yes, my current model is an E39 540i M Sport. 150klms.

I think it is about getting a good clean example of E39 M5 2002, rather than money as long as its fair to both parties. Yes I would love to open discussions with your friend. Better let me know his initials as he maybe someone I am also currently speaking with one other. Appreciate your response.

Kind regards

Matt

Hi there,

I have a close friend who is willing to part with his car for the right money.

It is a facelift, in arguably the most desirable colour - Lemans blue, with ostrich sport leather with titanium trim.

115,000 kms. One of the last 6 or so delivered to NZ- so a 2002 car.

Some tasteful modifications. It is in nothing short of immaculate condition. He maybe interested to sell- but is a reluctant sale and wants premium. Saying that, you will end up with arguably the finest example in NZ. 

PM if you are interested and I can send you his details.

Affirmative... I have known him for 20 years....he is a good man and one of the most knowledgeable people in NZ when it comes to cars...!

3 hours ago, ssbmw said:

arguably the finest example

I'll argue that... 😎

• Like 1

we are here to "nourish not punish"....lets encourage cooperative and innovative ideas from all sides.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hqstu said:

I'll argue that... 😎

Hi Stuart,

Hope no umbrage on that one - didn't mean to offend anyone :) - and I definitely did say arguably!

9 hours ago, ssbmw said:

Hope no umbrage on that one - didn't mean to offend anyone

No of course not, all good :)

I remember finding an abandoned e39 M5 driving around chch once, wonder if it's still around. Guy said he wouldn't take anything less than 20k and honestly thought he was dreaming but idk.

What colour was it? Do you remember? We have a gentleman in Auckland who has been building a register - so always keen on securing any intel on elusive E39 M5's.

As for your comments regarding how there they were dirt cheap a few years ago- yes there were a few sold for around $20k years ago. Anecdotally, double that value now.

Same everywhere. A friend of mine here in San Francisco was sadly reminiscing recently that she sold her tidy  2001 example  in Silverstone with 100,000 miles for $11,000 USD in 2015. It would  be a $22-25k USD car to purchase now- minimum!

• Like 1

What's the story on the Le Mans blue car? I'd be interested :)

On 3/22/2021 at 8:20 AM, ssbmw said:

What colour was it? Do you remember? We have a gentleman in Auckland who has been building a register - so always keen on securing any intel on elusive E39 M5's.

As for your comments regarding how there they were dirt cheap a few years ago- yes there were a few sold for around $20k years ago. Anecdotally, double that value now.

Same everywhere. A friend of mine here in San Francisco was sadly reminiscing recently that she sold her tidy  2001 example  in Silverstone with 100,000 miles for $11,000 USD in 2015. It would  be a $22-25k USD car to purchase now- minimum!

image.thumb.png.b4f7efeb83ea9b34e7ed18a6f6454699.png

Google Street View; can't see the plate number but it looks to be black. Somewhere I had a picture with a plate number but not too sure. Don't want to post the adress because I'm sure the guy deserves some privacy. Streetview is from 2019 anway so it's probably gone by now. Guy told me something was wrong with the motor and he parked it up. I remember the window being cracked and the interior being grotty as hell. Been sitting for I think 1 or 2 years like that at that point.

• Like 1

Awesome - thanks for that - pretty sure this one is not  on the register. Stu here on Bimmersport may know about it - will check. From what I know, there are 2 other black examples in CCh- with another 55,000 km example in black moving from rural Canterbury to Auckland about a year ago.

Not surprising it was in black - nearly 1 in 3 sold were black (global).

PS - Unusual architecture of the house too - kinda cool.

48 minutes ago, ssbmw said:

probably one of those houses where its split in half down the middle mirroring each other. separate units.

Not sure the story of the that car. I am just starting to collate a register, so without number plates its a bit hard to history search.

4 hours ago, ssbmw said:

with another 55,000 km example in black moving from rural Canterbury to Auckland about a year ago.

Not surprising it was in black - nearly 1 in 3 sold were black (global).

That one went via southland, was cleaned and then sold on for substantial profit to auckland

Sounds very interesting. Any one able to identify the plate ...is there a higher resolution pic somewhere.

43 minutes ago, Mattrixx said:

Sounds very interesting. Any one able to identify the plate ...is there a higher resolution pic somewhere.

somewhere on an old phone I have a pic with plate, but that's essentially long gone now...