Sign in to follow this  
46liam

E46 325i 5spd to Auto 330Ci

He folks, 

So I have recently ended up with an 5spd Manual 325i e46 with around 110xxx ks on it, but the body is in rough shape so i see no point fixing it up when i could use the transmission for my auto 330ci and scrap the rest.

Ideally i would just buy a manual transmission kit out of another 330ci, but as most of you know it's hard to find good condition ZF parts in NZ.

So I'm just looking for some advise to start off i.e. what additional parts & components will I need to make that 325i trans work in my 330ci?

Any help is much appreciated ! 

No one is answering so I will. My advice is jump in and give it a go. Most BMWs of the same platform are quite similar driveline-wise. I bought a E36 328i and swapped it across to my 4cyl 316i using the existing gearbox and didn't require any additional parts. The money is in the clutch and flywheel if it's shagged. I'm sure if you get stuck you'll get support on here. Good luck 👍

Edited by Blackie
Spelling again
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blackie said:

No one is answering so I will. My advice is jump in and give it a go. Most BMWs of the same platform are quite similar driveline-wise. I bought a E36 328i and swapped it across to my 4cyl 316i using the existing gearbox and didn't require any additional parts. The money is in the clutch and flywheel if it's shagged. I'm sure if you get stuck you'll get support on here. Good luck 👍

Hey man thanks for your reply, won't hurt to try.

My only concern is the driveshaft, since the 330ci's is slightly shorter than the 325i's :hmmm-min:

The driveshafts are likely different as the 330i uses a CV joint, im assuming the 325i diff input shaft can be swapped on the the 330i. Diff ratios may or may not be preferable also depending on requirements, so swapping the whole diff and axles maybe the better option if you dont want to take anything apart. 

Given you have a complete donor i can't see you needing anything as long as you know understand the coding side of the swap.