Sign in to follow this  
Zadkiel

NZ New E30 M3's

Hi all, I'd love any more info people have on these if possible. Does anyone know if they were all converted to RHD or just some? Who did the conversions? Are the European spec? Anyone know exact numbers?

The information and records from back then are a bit murky to put it mildly. There seem to have been a number of different routes to getting cars registered as “NZ New” from those brought in by BMW NZ, tourist deliveries, through to any low kms car coming in and convincing the registrar it was a new vehicle.

From what I have been told / found out / am lead to believe all “new” imports had to be converted to RHD to be registered. The official swaps were done by Road and Track in Rotorua. Using a combination of modified M3 parts (headers) and RHD E30 parts (dash, steering rack).

Cars through BMW NZ and the tourist deliveries were Euro spec, however there may have been some cars from Japan that were brought in and converted at the same time.

I have heard all sorts of numbers, those that come up often are 12 and 17, but again there could be a few more “grey imports” to add on top.

I would love to find the official records, but unfortunately I think they have been tossed out long ago.

Awesome, thanks for that. Hopefully I can find what I am looking for then, sounds like I will need to be lucky. :)