Sign in to follow this  
Herbmiester

N57 Carboned up

My  X5 40D went in yesterday for an intake manifold and intake port clean. I felt like the 306 hp just wasn't quite there and after looking at the intake ports with the manifold off it was clear why. For those of you who have seen  N54 intake ports this will be very familiar, carbon and soot lined the intake port walls to around 20  to 30 percent of their volume. The valve stems were twice the size and the back faces of the valves were thick with carbon. The guy doing it has his own walnut blasting machine and is doing the ports tomorrow. He cleaned the manifold and it looked spotless as did the EGR and throttle body/ anti shudder valve. I will have some pictures in the next few days. 

Edited by Herbmiester
  • Like 2

Keen to see what kinda of improvements you get.  I've been thinking about getting the same work done on my diesels as well.

I took the car on a road trip to Hawkes Bay. Idle and transition off idle are noticeably smoother, there is more power as you would expect and open road fuel economy went from 9.7 to 8.1l per 100kms. Will have the before and after photos next week.

Edited by Herbmiester

That sounds like quite a drastic improvement! Keen to see the before and after photos when you get a chance.