Sign in to follow this  
Mark Baker

Looking at a 325i, looking for advice (helpful advice!)

Hey all, had my daily driver smacked on Thursday. I think it's a write-off (2010 Mondeo TDCi estate). Coincidentally was looking at an E90 323i (2.5) for daughter (started looking at the 320i but then found a fairly nice six cylinder jobby). THEN I found the E46 which is not too bad and started distracting myself with the idea of grabbing that for now - the Mondeo disposal will take a wee while and I'm happy enough to fiddle with an E46, but for daughter am more leaning to an E90.

So questions:
1. E46 325i, bog stock, 2001, auto. WoF and rego are expired. Can get it for around $2500 - good deal or bad idea? (NB I am reasonably mechanically capable and have a good BMW-experienced mechanic, just can't get hold of him till Wednesday!)

2. E90 323i M, 2006, auto. WOF and rego current; 145km. Last owner four years, looks like a bit of a 'BMW tragic'. Nice bling but service has been third party. Asking $6800 but I think I could get it for $6500. (have been advised this car would run best on 98...)

Anyone got pearls of wisdom on these?

-Mark

Both cars run best on 98 #8 ).

E46 is excellent, the weak-points are well-understood.  If you're prepared to put some parts, time, and effort into it to address what is undoubtedly deferred maintenance (these cars are rarely lavished with the care and understanding they need), you'll have a gem.  They're a *great* drive!  We're approaching 200k km on ours, owned since 112k and 9 years, love it to bits and no plans to replace it (I've asked my better half a few times in the last few years if she'd like something newer and the answer's the same, "no I like this one").

e90 - more complex, safer in crash performance, parts more expensive, good car.  N52 at 2006 (I guess), great engine though you're onto electric cooling pump, etc... probably approaching bigger deferred maintenance bills?

Drive em both, buy the one you prefer.  Be prepared to spend a couple of grand on either to get a well-sorted car.  HTH.

PS:  Well done avoiding the 4 cyl 320i - not BMWs finest hour, and to be avoided.  And welcome to Bimmersport, @Mark Baker 

Edited by Olaf
  • Like 2

If you haven’t already, check out M539 Restorations on Youtube. His series on Project Cologne may get you more inspired about an E46 325i 😁. I doubt many would go to his level just for a daily driver. Well @Olaf maybe 😎! Seriously though, Olaf does know what he is talking about when it comes to E46 (and E30)!

Welcome and good luck.

• Like 3

I second that , M539 Restorations is awesome .His level of detail is amazing or could just be his OCD 🙂

Likely have to throw a few k at either to get them upto scratch. Cost wise the E46 would be far the better option. E90 not worth getting it for 323i imo.

The E46 is much easier and cheaper to maintain and generally more reliable.  The E90 is a bit more comfortable and safer.

Being mechanically capable, you can pretty much DIY everything on an E46.  Repairs on the E90 is much more difficult with lots of complexities with electronic systems and expensive parts.  E.g Electric Water pump,  vanos solenoids or ledge seals, sump gaskets.  Even the washer pump on the E90 is difficult to replace!

Also, general maintenance is more expensive as well as the E90 requires a runflat tyres, BMW battery + Coding the IBS

I've owned plenty of both...and I have sold all my E90 and E92s and gone back to older models.

Edited by curryinahurry
  • Like 1