Sign in to follow this  
Herbmiester

BMW N57 EGR Valve.

My X5 40D keeps bring up a check engine light and the codes are:

49A6      Glow Plug Controller.  New GP controller.

4CAE      EGR controller position sensor. 

40D4      EGR controller Position Sensor.

4C9F      Exhaust-gas recirculation valve, plausibility

4C9E      Exhaust-gas recirculation valve, plausibility

40B4      EGR Valve position control.

Apart from the first one everything else is EGR related. I removed the EGR valve (10 min job) and it wasn't sticking, a small amount of carbon but less than I imagined. My question is do these fail otherwise? Is there a way of checking them, specifically the operation of the stepper motor?  

i can do a EGR delete for you in the ecu. you can just leave the old one in and get blanking plate late. better for the engine after a delete

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, promo said:

i can do a EGR delete for you in the ecu. you can just leave the old one in and get blanking plate late. better for the engine after a delete

I am thinking that might be the way to go.

Edited by Herbmiester

If the labour govt keeps doing things, I wouldn’t rule out emissions testing on WOF. I feel a bit uneasy about deliberately bypassing emissions tech too...YMMV obviously

3 minutes ago, balancerider said:

If the labour govt keeps doing things, I wouldn’t rule out emissions testing on WOF. I feel a bit uneasy about deliberately bypassing emissions tech too...YMMV obviously

Yes I understand your position I dont care so much about the legality more about the environment. 

On 4/6/2021 at 9:18 PM, Herbmiester said:

Yes I understand your position I dont care so much about the legality more about the environment. 

Do you know if your car has had the EGR cooler/valve recall done on it? If it hasn't it might be worth checking if it's due as they'll replace it for free. If it has had it done they may have not done properly hence the codes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, F30N20 said:

Do you know if your car has had the EGR cooler/valve recall done on it? If it hasn't it might be worth checking if it's due as they'll replace it for free. If it has had it done they may have not done properly hence the codes.

I will check.

2 hours ago, F30N20 said:

They only replace the cooler. Valve itself not involved with recall

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, balancerider said:

They only replace the cooler. Valve itself not involved with recall

No they don't. BMW NZ directed all dealers to replace the complete EGR module which includes the EGR valve and cooler.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, balancerider said:

Interesting, no mention of valve replacement on my recall invoice

Yes correct, they don't mention it. They were having too many problems with the EGR valves faulting after the EGR cooler had been replaced so they directed all dealers to replace the complete EGR module. 

• Like 2

On 4/6/2021 at 7:55 AM, Herbmiester said:

My X5 40D keeps bring up a check engine light and the codes are:

49A6      Glow Plug Controller.  New GP controller.

4CAE      EGR controller position sensor. 

40D4      EGR controller Position Sensor.

4C9F      Exhaust-gas recirculation valve, plausibility

4C9E      Exhaust-gas recirculation valve, plausibility

40B4      EGR Valve position control.

Apart from the first one everything else is EGR related. I removed the EGR valve (10 min job) and it wasn't sticking, a small amount of carbon but less than I imagined. My question is do these fail otherwise? Is there a way of checking them, specifically the operation of the stepper motor?  

Hi, having very similar issues on my 40D. I changed the egr and reset the adaptations but still no change. Did you get this sorted in the end?

On 11/12/2021 at 5:12 PM, The Bimmer said:

I have spare EGR Valve.

Thanks, I have replaced the EGR and it runs a lot better now. except for oil in the intake which is either a turbo seal or bad PCV.

On 11/11/2021 at 10:38 PM, 40dx5 said:

Hi, having very similar issues on my 40D. I changed the egr and reset the adaptations but still no change. Did you get this sorted in the end?

A bit long winded but it looks like I have 2 issues . Faulty PCV valve and a faulty Glow plug controller. My auto sparky thinks the GP controller might be affecting other things but cant be sure. The stuffed PCV is the real issue. I have found a solution and will post up soon.

How did you get on with the PCV valve?

I replaced the PCV valve, it can be bought as a separate part from the rocker cover. I still have issues and Pramod will soon delete the whole EGR system in software and I will fit an EGR delete. 

Well after a year I am back and I still have EGR codes and have decided to remove the EGR and get Prmod to code it out. Inspecting the engine today I noticed that there is moisture and some corrosion around the injectors. Any thoughts?20221126_182614.thumb.jpg.cc2f948c39195854a8a0ab54f12f7719.jpg

20221126_182545.jpg

Edited by Herbmiester

The most common cause of this is cracked engine bay partitions. They start cracking and falling apart from the heat. Are yours intact?

Screenshot_20221127-090300_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20221127-090006_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by F10er
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, F10er said:

The most common cause of this is cracked engine bay partitions. They start cracking and falling apart from the heat. Are yours intact?

Screenshot_20221127-090300_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20221127-090006_Samsung Internet.jpg

Yes mine were cracked and the mechanic put some sealant around them, it looks like that was not 100% successful. I will have to revisit this and possibly get the Silicone out.