Sign in to follow this  
Brianr70

AWD E30

Alteration? That was a standard model. The IX E30s and E34s were AWD.

the lift and tyres rubbed on me.  i wonder how much it took to modify the 325iX bits to suit the coupe? 

Edit: Derp. the whole model stack had 325iX I guess, coupe, cabrio, sedan, Touring.  

Edited by lord_jagganath

Quite popular in Northern Europe and North America. Not many RHD ones around, so not widely known in these parts.

Would be interesting to see how good / effective the AWD is in these..?

19 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Would be interesting to see how good / effective the AWD is in these..?

Pretty good. Certainly far better on slippery surfaces than 2wd.

The system is pretty robust. It uses the same engines and auto trans as the 2wd cars, but that's where similarities end. There's a gear/chain transfer case from which a propshaft runs forward and back (to viscous diffs - a potential weak point). The bodyshell is wider and almost completely different forward of the windscreen: front suspension towers are further forward, arches are wider, trans tunnel is much wider (you'll not 'stretch' a stock one that far). The steering rack is behind the front crossmember and mounted inside the subframe.

The front driveshafts can strip the splines at the transfer case.

They're great for daily driving, especially in Europe where snow is common, but not so good for tuning. The rallycross cars used Xtrac gearboxes and different axles to contain the extra power used.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Driftit said:

Alteration? That was a standard model. The IX E30s and E34s were AWD.

Oopps...My E30 knowledge is woefully lacking LOL

There was an E34 IX Touring here in NZ somewhere many moons back.

Saw quite a few of them north of DC while living in the US.  Nearly all of them were beaters or stock.  The extra suspension lift they have makes them look a little odd.

1 hour ago, Driftit said:

There was an E34 IX Touring here in NZ somewhere many moons back.

Saw quite a few of them north of DC while living in the US.  Nearly all of them were beaters or stock.  The extra suspension lift they have makes them look a little odd.

There was certainly a dark green 525iX Touring - I nearly swapped a Suzuki Bandit 1200 for it.

Pretty sure I've seen a red one, too.

^ There was a Champagne e34 IX touring on a few months ago. for around 8k, very reasonable. I test drove the Red one.  great cars but front drive shafts are rare and i think they were all wearing.. 

10 hours ago, lord_jagganath said:

^ There was a Champagne e34 IX touring on a few months ago. for around 8k, very reasonable. I test drove the Red one.  great cars but front drive shafts are rare and i think they were all wearing.. 

Front drive shafts do wear - the splines give up at the transfer box end.

Only answer is replacement.