Sign in to follow this  
Contrails

White E28 M535i

Wow, that is nice!!

Not sure it’s $40k nice though... fairly close I would say, and for the right buyer maybe it’s worth $40k.

*Provided it is a genuine M535i NZ New. I’m not an E28 head, so couldn’t say for sure - looks to have the right bits on it.

• Like 1

Its super nice but that price is on some rose city cars level 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Wow, that is nice!!

Not sure it’s $40k nice though... fairly close I would say, and for the right buyer maybe it’s worth $40k.

*Provided it is a genuine M535i NZ New. I’m not an E28 head, so couldn’t say for sure - looks to have the right bits on it.

Yeah definitely not $40k in my books either. Maybe, if it had less than 100k on the clock with full documented history. 

I think Brent @BM WORLD was selling his one with less kms for $25k which is the one I would get if I was in the market. 

Edited by Contrails

Mint looking car.

Edited by GorGasm
  • Like 1

Same company had a rare factory chev 350 HQ Premier wagon with air con for $140k... they had purchased it for $78k as I understand...

11 hours ago, Contrails said:

Yeah definitely not $40k in my books either. Maybe, if it had less than 100k on the clock with full documented history. 

I think Brent @BM WORLD was selling his one with less kms for $25k which is the one I would get if I was in the market. 

mine had more km about 320ks , and not quite as mint as this white one 

but yea prices are rising on these so few for sale in tidy condition 

i dont think km maters as most of these have had plenty of work done to them 

and they where family/business cars so where all driven all the time

my old silver one had 465,000km when i brought it guy just drove it all the time and long trips etc 

was still running on original engine (just) 

i know a couple of the past owners too of the white one

and it used to have a PP that i own now 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BM WORLD said:

mine had more km about 320ks , and not quite as mint as this white one 

but yea prices are rising on these so few for sale in tidy condition 

i dont think km maters as most of these have had plenty of work done to them 

and they where family/business cars so where all driven all the time

my old silver one had 465,000km when i brought it guy just drove it all the time and long trips etc 

was still running on original engine (just) 

i know a couple of the past owners too of the white one

and it used to have a PP that i own now 

I still remember the Silver one. That was gorgeous especially with that engine.

2 hours ago, hqstu said:

Same company had a rare factory chev 350 HQ Premier wagon with air con for $140k... they had purchased it for $78k as I understand...

I wonder what price did it sell for. List for $140k and sold for $120k, new owner must think oh I got $20k off and the dealer has still made a healthy profit. 

On 4/15/2021 at 6:58 AM, hqstu said:

That was an Australian assembled fully optioned one I think.  

A bit OTT for a Kingswood. Especially when a desirable US car can be had for a lower price - Big block late 60s Charger, Camaro, Mustang, Corvette, Rivera, Impala SS etc. 

General consensus here is this E28 is over priced (actually, that seems to be the thoughts on any car featured on BS). 

On what basis is this over priced? 

• Like 1

On the basis that there is a lot more in the BMW stable available at $40k.  You have E34, E39, E60 and even F10 M5's available at that price point.  Personally I would buy an Audi B5 RS4 if I was in that market.

I would have a think about that E28 at $20-25k.

• Like 2

@GorGasm

There was this impressive display of 4 different colour mint, stock B5 RS4s at the Brit and Euro show a few weeks ago.

Excuse the crappy wide angle photo trying to fit them in, was quite impressive in person!

BA6D092B-DEF9-4A08-80C1-8F072A8C5245.jpeg

• Like 4

8 hours ago, GorGasm said:

On the basis that there is a lot more in the BMW stable available at $40k.  You have E34, E39, E60 and even F10 M5's available at that price point.  Personally I would buy an Audi B5 RS4 if I was in that market.

I think prices overseas are steadily climbing for the E28 M535i. I advertised my one for $16.5k and was eventually offered $20k from a NZ buyer and I almost sold it. I had quite a few enquires from overseas buyers but I wasn’t entertaining them.  And my one needed a bit of work. I think $25k-$30k is reasonable for that car. They are only going up in value. 

People are bidding $40k for the red E30 tech 2 on trademe.  Yep, a lot of better cars can be had for $40k. But some people prefer driving an E30 tech 2 than a F10 M5.  Each to their own.  If I had $40k, I would be chasing a Z4M coupe or an E46 M3 manual.  

Edited by Contrails
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, GorGasm said:

Not very valid comparisons. 

If they were, older cars would be dirt cheap because they fall short to newer models across the board. 

Why would someone drop 6 figures on a Valiant Charger when they can get a 700hp Hellcat with air con and all the latest features. 

Why would someone spend $100k on a 930 911 when they could get a 996 Turbo for the same price etc. 

I'd be surprised if even a handful of buyers would genuinely cross shop this with an E60 or F10. 

When was the last time an E34 (or E39) M5 were publicly listed for sale?  Not as if theres an over supply of them.  

The way I see it is the asking price is consistent with the increase in values of all decent models from various maker up to the early 2000s. 

Ten years ago you could pick up a Intergra Type R DC2 for $7k. Now the cheapest one on TM is $28k.

I could list dozens of vehicles who've seen their prices increase by hundreds of percent over the last decade. Its all relative. The red E30 M325i currently with reserve met is proof of this. 

• Like 3

Perhaps Contrails alternatives of an E46 M3 or Z4M would have been better suggestions?  My point was meant to be that there's cooler cars available at $40k, hence I think the value should be lower.  The exception to that being the person that MUST HAVE E28 M535i!i! regardless of price.  At which point they could charge $60k.

E39 M5's pop up now and then and I'm sure you could hunt down one of the E34 M5s if you tried.

Edited by GorGasm

I want an E34 M5... I've seen 1 for sale in the last 8 years and it was ZA assembled, which didn't seem ideal.  E39 M5 values are getting 'out of hand' too.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GorGasm said:

Perhaps Contrails alternatives of an E46 M3 or Z4M would have been better suggestions?  My point was meant to be that there's cooler cars available at $40k, hence I think the value should be lower.  The exception to that being the person that MUST HAVE E28 M535i!i! regardless of price.  At which point they could charge $60k.

E39 M5's pop up now and then and I'm sure you could hunt down one of the E34 M5s if you tried.

What would be the going rate for a decent E34 M5 these days. At a guess they’d be pushing 6 figures...  

What is cool is subjective. 
I find Citroen DS and 1970s - 1980s unloved 6 metre long American land yachts cool while I wouldn’t look twice at an R35 GTR, Audi R8 or the latest M or AMG cars. 

New models are spurring increased interest in these older cars. 
Reliability is comprised. High R&M costs, over complicated and unnecessary tech. Limited DIY. 
Most models across all makers these days are boring as sh*t, placing more emphasis on gimmicky tech features instead of driving dynamics and driver engagement. 

Hence why cars like this will demand high prices until they’re legislated off the road or the post boomer & early gen X generation don’t have the interest or money to sustain high prices. 

• Like 1

Doubt many E34 M5's are going for 6 figures, possibly a 3.8 touring etc or some immaculate special edition maybe. 30-40k is what they appeared to be selling in previous few years. 

IMO it’s little to do with what the car does, it’s what the car portrays and as people get older they generally get wealthier and want to reconnect to that emotional attachment and hence supply and demand applies, there are bugger all of them, you want one you pay for it.

It’s generational you saw it across 60s and 50s cars and now it’s doing the same for 80s and 90s, wether it’s a shitbox or not it really doesn’t matter. It’s the connection to the past that drives it, it drives our tastes and thereby what we value.

You could buy a current 330 that would beat the sh*t out of a E34 M5 in every logical actual performance category but it doesn’t have the emotional connection and that’s why they are what they are.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Breaker said:

You could buy a current 330 that would beat the sh*t out of a E34 M5 

And that 330 WILL NEVER be an e34 M5!

Agree with you on what you’ve said  - well put 👍

• Like 2

Many of the above points are valid.  But I think people with an emotional connection to an E28 number very few.

• Like 3

https://waimakclassiccars.co.nz/listings/1986-bmw-525e/

If a mint E28 525i could sell for the asking price of 28.5K then I don't think a mint M535i for 40k is that overpriced.

Also all the comparison to the E34 M5 but please don't forget there are E28 M5 too. Just rarer and haven't see one on the market for a while though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cannabis9478 said:

https://waimakclassiccars.co.nz/listings/1986-bmw-525e/

If a mint E28 525i could sell for the asking price of 28.5K then I don't think a mint M535i for 40k is that overpriced.

Also all the comparison to the E34 M5 but please don't forget there are E28 M5 too. Just rarer and haven't see one on the market for a while though.

I am pretty sure this previous owner of this car was asking for advice on what price he should list this car for. I think it got sold pretty quickly for around $14k mark. 

• Like 2