Sign in to follow this  
fred_

FRM3 module damaged after battery change in E90

Hi everyone 

I’ve just changed the battery in my E90 LCI and the interior lights, locking system, windows have all stopped working. My research suggests I’ve damaged the FRM3 module. 

Has anyone in Auckland had success repairing one of these or reset via coding, or have you had to replace the whole unit? 

note I have already registered the new battery to the car  

Any help greatly appreciated. 

cheers 

Alex 

Edited by fred_
  • Like 1

On 4/17/2021 at 12:35 PM, fred_ said:

Hi everyone 

I’ve just changed the battery in my E90 LCI and the interior lights, locking system, windows have all stopped working. My research suggests I’ve damaged the FRM3 module. 

Has anyone in Auckland had success repairing one of these or reset via coding, or have you had to replace the whole unit? 

note I have already registered the new battery to the car  

Any help greatly appreciated. 

cheers 

Alex 

Yes ... I had an FRM3 fault and was going to replace the unit until I discovered the pricing. In the end it turned out I had some corrosion on some pins that were shorting together...cleaning this up sorted me out. However I did a fair bit of research. 

First step is to determine if the FRM is still 'alive' at all...as in can it be seen on the CAN bus. If it cannot be seen then it's highly likely that the bootloader area has been corrupted (the common failure mode for FRM3). 

If I had a total failure I'd probably send it out to get repaired (overseas as to not get totally ripped off). I flirted with buying a Ali Express programming tool for the EEPROM (it cannnot be reprogrammed using the BMW tools) and maybe starting a little sideline here. The Xprog copies are only about $180 USD from Aliexpress. I'd wager there are a fair few programmers around that can do it....just about finding somebody locally that won't fleece you.. 

P.S. There are a bunch of worldwide BMW warranty extensions on FRM3... if you're under 10 years old I'd give the dealer a call and have a moan...worst they can say is no. Often dealers like doing this warranty work as they get paid for it by the mothership. 

Edited by HalfJobHarry