Sign in to follow this  
M3AN

Still True? BMW CBS maxes out at 300,000 kms?

Im amazed many make it to 300,000km with CBS, tbh

CBS is a have, completely designed to save the manufacturer money on service plans, and make new cars more appealing to customers. Audi was working on lifetime filled engine oil for a while there, but thankfully that never came to fruition.  We know how well "lifetime" filled trans fluid works.

I would be interested to know how many BMW customers ( people who actually buy a BMW new from a dealership) still have the car when it racks up 300k km?

I imagine its a tiny number and BMW aren't too concerned about it.

• Like 1

It might be more common in the US.  But none existent in NZ.
But even in the US most first owners are leases.  3 - 4 years max.

CBS.... I assume anybody who cared about their vehicle long term totally disregarded CBS anyway and did their maintenance on some other planned schedule.  

Yeah, it's no so much about paying attention to CBS, it's the fact that once you hit 300,000kms you can't extinguish the service light, it bounces back on immediately which would be a real annoyance on the dash.

• Haha 1

Just stick a bit of tape over it, she'll be right.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, M3AN said:

you can't extinguish the service light, it bounces back on immediately which would be a real annoyance on the dash.

The service indicator lights in just about E30 I’ve ever driven have always been lit up, it’s such a problem I can hardly bring myself to drive them.

Explains why they are so cheap to buy now.

• Haha 2

I wouldn't trust the CBS past warranty regardless. The CBS pushes my M4 to about 25 000km or 2 year oil change intervals. I wonder how the rod bearings would look if it hits 100 000km and has only had 4 oil changes including the running on one at about 2500km?

Supposedly it takes into account how you drive and has a sensor that can measure the oil quality... but this is the same company that says transmission oil should never be changed so I can't comfortably trust it. 

It bothers me that BMW is so shady with maintenance policies. 

• Like 1

I wonder what cbs logic comes up with for oil changes on dedicated track cars. I.e Nordeschleife ring taxi cars 🤷‍♂️ 

3 hours ago, Matth5 said:

I wouldn't trust the CBS past warranty regardless. The CBS pushes my M4 to about 25 000km or 2 year oil change intervals. I wonder how the rod bearings would look if it hits 100 000km and has only had 4 oil changes including the running on one at about 2500km?

Supposedly it takes into account how you drive and has a sensor that can measure the oil quality... but this is the same company that says transmission oil should never be changed so I can't comfortably trust it. 

It bothers me that BMW is so shady with maintenance policies. 

Agree, mine is currently showing 26 000km. No way I'd leave it that long. The DCT fluid that came out of my old 135i was all I needed to see to convince me not to trust what bmw says.

It may be showing 26,000km now, but the chances are it will count down to zero in much less than that distance. 

Thats how I believe the logic works - start at the max recommended distance, then every time there is driving to reduce the time to service - ie short cold trips or hard racing (ring Taxi) the amount of kms to go is reduced accordingly, so you get down to zero quicker.

I don’t think it has a predictive calculation, like the fuel range for example, that says based on your driving it will be xx,000kms to go.

Does the system (still?) stop functioning as expected at 300,000 km's?

Will tell you soon :)

Ive tweaked my CBS to every 7000km, works well. 

• Like 1