Sign in to follow this  
SmackJackTheCrackerMan

Wheel stud conversion

Is it possible to pass certification with wheel stud conversion? 
The reason I ask is I have just fitted some coilovers and although the tyre clears, it’s very tight and I would prefer to add a 10mm spacer so I get that “hella flush” fitment 😁. The issue I can see is most spacers of 10mm and under don’t have a centre lip to sit the wheel on while putting the nuts on. 
My plan would be to buy a decent quality stud conversion kit, paired with a 10mm spacer (or even maybe just a 5mm) as I have to get a cert for the coilovers (and maybe the M3 control arm/tension arms?)

trying to squeeze as much as possible into the one certification. I don’t really understand the whole process but seems majorly over the top, expensive and unnecessary complicated. 

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assembled-by-ecs-parts/wheel-stud-conversion-kit-full-set/001467ecsbkkt/

Seem to remember that aluminum lug nuts are a no-no in NZ. Maybe check that out before you buy that kit ?

Cheers...

I fitted 15mm spacers with correct lip to my 335i and bought decent aftermarket bolts. VTNZ never picked it up.

On 4/20/2021 at 10:20 PM, jon dee said:

Seem to remember that aluminum lug nuts are a no-no in NZ. Maybe check that out before you buy that kit ?

Cheers...

Thanks for point that out, I’ve found a kit with hardened steel studs which seems much better quality. 

On 4/22/2021 at 8:38 AM, Herbmiester said:

I fitted 15mm spacers with correct lip to my 335i and bought decent aftermarket bolts. VTNZ never picked it up.

Just be aware that if in an accident an insurer can refuse to pay out because of it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zero said:

Just be aware that if in an accident an insurer can refuse to pay out because of it.

This is true but only if the spacer is implicated in the cause. If you have a front brake failure (for example), or are simply careless at an intersection and have an accident they couldn't refuse the claim because you had rear wheel spacers.

Now, if your rear wheel comes off and you have an accident then you can be almost certain they'll look to decline the claim if you have uncertified spacers. 

• Like 1

Have these, basically new, if any good to you.

Bit wide for my use.

@M3AN The insurance company considers that the car is not legally allowed on the road, because it doesn't have the required cert for its modifications.

You can also get done for not listing car modifications with your insurer.

I have a friend with a skyline with performance mods on, and didn't disclose the mods to the insurer. When it got written off his insurer gave him nothing.

Its just not worth the risk of not being paid out for your $20,000 car, for the sake of a $100 pair of spacers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, smiddy said:

Have these, basically new, if any good to you.

Bit wide for my use.

Thanks but too wide for me too. I’ve got 10mm max. If I can get away without any I most certainly will. 

5 hours ago, zero said:

@M3AN The insurance company considers that the car is not legally allowed on the road, because it doesn't have the required cert for its modifications.

Interesting. Broad exclusions like that aren't normally allowed... e.g. that you have an illegal fence is no cause to reject an unrelated claim on your property insurance, that you have aftermarket brakes is no cause to reject an unrelated claim on your mechanical warranty.

If I found myself facing such a denial I'd confidently lawyer up.

@M3AN Not having a cert when its a requirement, is the same to an insurer as no wof or no reg is.

If the car is not legally allowed on the road, you void your insurance.

• Like 2

Yes, I will be putting my car through the cert process just for Peace of mind. I’m also aware that it will be a nightmare.

Just reading the Low Volume Vehicle Standard is so confusing 🤦‍♂️

Was going your way also, but not with struts.

When i found out to remove spacers to put car back to stock would require another cert, i went and purchased wider wheels and offsets to suit.

On 4/22/2021 at 9:27 PM, m325i said:

Are you meant to cert studs ? 

?

17 hours ago, zero said:

@M3AN Not having a cert when its a requirement, is the same to an insurer as no wof or no reg is.

If the car is not legally allowed on the road, you void your insurance.

Hmm, that may well be true but if it still is, it won't be for long. I'm not sure of the specific status but consumer insurance law is under review in NZ (https://www.mbie.govt.nz/business-and-employment/business/financial-markets-regulation/insurance-contract-law-review/) with a stated intent to update it in line with UK and Australia.

For example, section 54 of the Australian Insurance Contracts Act prevents insurers from denying someone’s claim because of something the customer did after they entered the contract, if their actions were unrelated to the loss in question.

My recollection, which stands to be corrected, is that this change has already been made to NZ law but a) I don't know where and b) I don't know when. If it hasn't happened it's imminent.

Having said all that, I'm not advocating for taking the risk.