Sign in to follow this  
jon dee

BMW vs E10

1 hour ago, Ninjaspartan said:

Isn't Mobil 98 straight gasoline with no ethanol content? I thought it was only Gull 98 that was e10?

I was recently told this too, although i have heard of people having rough running issues with Mobil 98 and no issues when going back to BP 98. NFI what the difference is there. BP is the only high octane I trust in my cars.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ninjaspartan said:

Isn't Mobil 98 straight gasoline with no ethanol content? I thought it was only Gull 98 that was e10?

Mobil are very secret squirrel with the specs for their 98octane gas. Some years back they apparently introduced an e10 98 blend but I am unable to confirm if that is still the case, or if they now only serve straight 98 octane gas. Either way it is a win as far as I am concerned. Gull are happy to disclose that their 98 is an e10 blend and they do have a couple of outlets in Wellington, but neither is close for me. 

Cheers...

Mobil trialled e10 in wellington. In 2019 they confirmed no ethanol in any of their fuels. I just checked msds and no ethanol listed in their 98. 
Ill check my flex sensor tomorrow see if it thinks theres any in the mobil 98 in my car. 

Edited by andrewm

13 hours ago, jon dee said:

Rage Against The Machine - Guerrilla Radio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm1nCYOZB-s

Enjoy.... cheers...

RATM.png

I'm not sure about the correlation between Rages lyrics, and not wearing a watch, seeing as the song is about the 2000 US election?

8 hours ago, jon dee said:

Mobil are very secret squirrel with the specs for their 98octane gas. Some years back they apparently introduced an e10 98 blend but I am unable to confirm if that is still the case, or if they now only serve straight 98 octane gas. Either way it is a win as far as I am concerned. Gull are happy to disclose that their 98 is an e10 blend and they do have a couple of outlets in Wellington, but neither is close for me. 

Cheers...

Mobil weren't secret squirrel about it - you only had to look at the sticker on the pump.  A friend with an Aluminium boat filled up at Mobil in Paremata, 98.  The ethanol did it's thing with the condensation in the aluminium 100 litre fuel tank, emulsification, engine probs, a tow back to shore, and an expensive outboard rebuild.  I fueled a loan car at Mobil in Jville around the same time, their pumps indicated Ethanol in the 98.  That Alfa (twinspark) ran better on BP98.  No idea if they're still doing it.

There's enough info on the web to indicate ethanol fuels are better avoided for your non-current BMW.

Edited by Olaf

Having had cars tuned to their limit I have found fuel quality to be my biggest enemy.

Car was turned on BP 98.

BP let me down many times.  Very apparent when you fill up on a long trip and the knock levels increase significantly.  To the point where I had to turn off the boost controller to run less than have the pressure it was tuned for.

Mobil I never had any issues with.  However at the time so few Mobil's had 98.

Most Gulls had 98 however.  I never had any issues with them.  I always stuck with them more than the others because they were always one of the last to put prices up.  You can now pay at the pump (like America) which I love.  No need to wait in a line while some old farmer writes out a bloody cheque.
I did get angry at Gull during lockdown last year though.  They switched their 98 to 95 and had only the smallest signs up to notify people.

Note to self... call by the local Mobil station and check the stickers on the 98 pump.

Done. Well, looking at the sticker on the pump right beside the nozzle, there is no mention of ethanol, so safe to say Mobil SUPREME+ 98 octane is indeed straight gasoline with no added ethanol. Happy to clear that up. And yes... ethanol does not play well with aluminum fuel system components, so not for carbed engines, mowers, 2-strokes etc.

Cheers...

mobil98.JPG

Edited by jon dee

I heard Gull 98 was 87 octane mixed with the spice melange.  Seriously though, not hard to check the SDS.  Gull Force 10 is 98 Octane made up with 95 and ethanol.  Has worked fine for me for a decade or so.

image.png.4f12bba9521b3bbacb8642ad83f6a619.png

Edited by GorGasm

Sometimes BP Taupo mixes their 98 with water.  That was a great experience.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Driftit said:

Sometimes BP Taupo mixes their 98 with water.  That was a great experience.

Interesting... I'd guess that methanol would help, as it absorbs water, and do much the same job as a litre of methylated spirits dumped in the tank ?

Cheers...

19 hours ago, Ninjaspartan said:

According to the ExxonMobil material safety data sheet (https://sds.exxonmobil.com/psims.aspx) the NZ petrol contains "less than or equal to 10%" ethanol. You have to make some assumptions about converting their internal trade names to the product names we see at the pump but they do refer to them all as "Ethanol blended petrols" so I think we can safely assume they all have ethanol in them.

I did trawl the internet for a MSDS and found this... ExxonMobil MSDS_722717.pdf via the site linked above. It is specific to NZ and covers various Mobil fuels including  Supreme+ 98. Within the content I can only find one mention of ethanol and that is in a footnote to Section 3. It states...

NOTE: Composition may contain up to 0.5% performance additives and / or dyes. The concentration of the components shown above may vary substantially. In certain countries, benzene content may be limited to lower levels. Oxygenates such as tertiary-amyl-methyl ether, ethanol, di-isopropyl ether, and ethyl-tertiary-butyl ether may be present. Because of volatility considerations, gasoline vapor may have concentrations of components very different from those of liquid gasoline. The major components of gasoline vapor are: butane, isobutane, pentane, and isopentane. The reportable component percentages, shown in the composition/information on ingredients section, are based on API's evaluation of a typical gasoline mixture. Oxygenates may be present up to the maximum permitted by New Zealand Engine Fuel Specifications Regulations latest issue.

The list of ingredients given in the main body of Section 3 does not mention ethanol. Further, current Mobil advertising for Supreme+ 98 claims amongst other things, that users can expect improved gas mileage. This would be contrary to every other company selling e10 fuels where they grudgingly admit to a small reduction in distance per tank because of the lower energy content. Also, it is almost certain that if Mobil 98 contained ethanol it would be mentioned at the pump as (being NZ) there is bound to be a government regulation requiring that information to be disclosed.

So, based on all the above, I am sticking with my conclusion that on the balance of probabilities, Mobil Supreme+ 98 does not contain methanol :Thoughtful-min:

Cheers...

Screenshot_2021-04-30 MSDS_722717 pdf.png

• Like 1

In contrast the MSDS MSDS_970462 makes it clear there are two products in the NZ market that are ethanol blend, E10 SUPREME+/E10 SYNERGY 8000 and E3 EXTRA UNLEADED/E3 SYNERGY 1000. Seems that if there isnt an E# in the name, its not a blend.

Mobil 98 supreme contains no ethanol. 
Confirmed in msds and by my flex fuel sensor. 

3D42A899-AD1D-47D4-83A8-EC82812F20BB.png

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, KwS said:

...MSDS_970462...

That's the one I saw, and it's also the only result returned if you use "Synergy" as a search term. Why they make this data so difficult to find and interpret is a mystery to me.

42 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Why they make this data so difficult to find and interpret is a mystery to me.

This is the new face of marketing as practiced by oil companies, phone companies, power companies, television providers etc. The object is to make direct comparisons between competing products and packages virtually impossible. Works best if they have heaps of add-ons and hidden costs, use unintelligible jargon and generally get the customer so bemused that they just give up trying to work out which is the best value or most appropriate for their needs. Then it just comes down to who is offering the best freebies for signing up :D Changing the name of the company / package / product / bundle regularly is another part of the strategy. This works because many people think that because a product has been given a new name and packaging, this means the product has been improved. Changed does not equal improved :TrollTriste-min:

Cheers...

2 hours ago, M3AN said:

That's the one I saw, and it's also the only result returned if you use "Synergy" as a search term. Why they make this data so difficult to find and interpret is a mystery to me.

I searched "Petrol" and got both.... its not a conspiracy.

Just thinking about this cloud of BS Mobil put up about the fuels they sell in NZ... can anyone confirm that the Synergy 8000 (e10 blend) is still being sold ? Seems to me that it would be a bit unusual for Mobil to have two 98 octane fuels competing with each other in the marketplace. Their latest web advertising only lists the Supreme+ 98 with no mention of 8000 so maybe the same as Singapore where Supreme+ is stated as replacing Synergy 8000 ?

Obfuscation seems to be the name of the game for ExxonMobil marketing... and they are good at it :) 

Cheers...

CONCLUSION:   Yeah, looks like Synergy 8000 has quietly been discontinued (as it was in Australia) and replaced by Supreme+ 98.  So if you are looking for an e10 98 octane blend then Gull is probably the name of the game. Looks like Mobil changed more than product names when they rolled out their latest fuel lineup. Biggest problem is that the internet never culls anything out and brings up ten year old press releases mixed in with this years news. If you don't pay really close attention to the dates you are going to get confused... I was for a while  :P 

Cheers...