Sign in to follow this  
gjm

Buying an E9x (or something else...)

Miss M is keen to replace her E46 318i. It's been great (thanks Andy!) but she comes into some money shortly, and would like to spend up to $10k on upgrading.

Lots of nice-looking options, but (as the family motor mechanic) I've read the N-series engine horror stories and really, really don't want to repeat those experiences.

Performance is not the goal. Reliability is paramount. Automatic gearbox. It must look nice (superficial, but it's not an unreasonable requirement.) Economy is desirable. And, of course, being nice to drive. An E93 sneaks into the budget and is perhaps unsurprisingly a popular idea.
Not a wagon. A newer 1-series might be nice, but the old one is described as 'meh'.

Lots of E9x 320-type cars around, but the 4-cylinder ones are all N4x, and I've heard similar bad tales about the 6-pot N5x. 

A facelift 1-series with the N13 (or similar) could be in budget - is there a guide to evaluating chain wear?

Or... Other suggestions. I'm keen on the Mercedes W204 and there's some very good-looking, lower mileage examples around in budget.

The non-turbo straight 6 engines and very reliable. The N54/55 turbo engines are fun but can give you some grief and high bills. The 4-pots are garbage. 

Edited by Matth5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You wont find good economy with the n52b25 in a 325i e9x. 
My best pick would easily be the newer f20 116i. fantastic economy and reliability (for a bmw).

no inherent issues  

You can find them for sub 10k and only a bit more if you wanted a nicer spec sports or msport version

This is cheap at $8500
https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-2982402685.htm

Edited by qube
  • Thanks 1

My best pick would easily be the newer f20 116i. fantastic economy and reliability (for a bmw).

no inherent issues  😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4-pot petrols have a bad rep, the 4-pot diesels are good. I would suggest a 320d might be the answer.

• Thanks 1

Get an early 320d, no dpf no idrive no worries 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/30/2021 at 12:21 PM, qube said:

This is - surprisingly to me, perhaps - proving to be a popular option. The facelift look is definitely preferred.

Other options have been a Porsche Cayenne 3.2, a Mercedes CLS350... But the 116i is certainly the 'sensible' choice.

25 minutes ago, gjm said:

This is - surprisingly to me, perhaps - proving to be a popular option. The facelift look is definitely preferred.

Other options have been a Porsche Cayenne 3.2, a Mercedes CLS350... But the 116i is certainly the 'sensible' choice.

Not sure if you mean facelift because this being the F20 is a totally new model/shape compared to the E87.

The F20 was introduced in 2011 until 2019 with an LCI facelift update at 2015.

If you are happy to spend a bit more around 11-12k you could find one with low kms and better spec.

It is a sensible option as you say. Sure, it does have potential issue with timing chain/guides but if you get it checked out properly and if it has been maintained well it really shouldn’t be an issue. Other than being a slightly noisy motor in general, the performance is great and the 8 speed ZF gearbox and light steering makes it an excellent and easy car to drive. (Also very safe, my friends mum was involved in a crash on the motorway whilst doing 100km/h and ended up spinning the car and hitting the center guard/wall and she walked out without a scratch. Car was totalled)

Those other options.. ha ha ha I think you already know!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, qube said:

Not sure if you mean facelift because this being the F20 is a totally new model/shape compared to the E87.

The F20 was introduced in 2011 until 2019 with an LCI facelift update at 2015.

I lost track of model nomenclature when the 3-series got 3 designations!

But yes - I was referring to the F20. 👍

E92 325i? Gorgeous shape especially a vert would be a lot of fun during summer. 
130i? 
Z4 coupe or even a soft top 3.0si variant?

or... an E30? 

2 hours ago, Contrails said:

E92 325i? Gorgeous shape especially a vert would be a lot of fun during summer. 
130i? 
Z4 coupe or even a soft top 3.0si variant?

or... an E30? 

Miss M has bought a 2013 116i F20. She's very pleased with it - it's a nice car.

Seems unlikely she would have found a decent E30 for the same money!

• Like 2

Oh very nice. They are nice - F20 to drive around in. 

• Like 1

Interesting discovery about the F20 116i.

Little turbo engine - puts out 136hp.

Replace the air filter, replace the exhaust, remap.. - Over 250hp. 😮 Allegedly.

Edited by gjm

7 hours ago, gjm said:

Interesting discovery about the F20 116i.

Little turbo engine - puts out 136hp.

Replace the air filter, replace the exhaust, remap.. - Over 250hp. 😮 Allegedly.

Do it!