Sign in to follow this  
martyyyn

How would you spend $50k ?

9 hours ago, martyyyn said:

There's also an Alpina B5, but it's been for sale for a very, very long time.

less likely to need rod bearings or a clutch than the equivalent M5. plus the connoisseur knows it's a better car

With the f10 m5 budget for oil as they can use a bit or pick up a warranty to help ease the burden.

Have you considered a X5M? 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Gaz said:

Can pick m5s up for sub 25k with bearings and clutch done so 10k would cover a fair bit

A set of tyres and an ABS module! 😉 Or brakes, or an SMG warning light, or half a set of EDC shocks, or... 

• Haha 1

On 5/5/2021 at 1:29 PM, Driftit said:

My old man has had an E55 AMG since new.  Still has it.  Is a great car and probably one of the best towing vehicles on the road.  But most of the E55's here are Jap imports that flooded in around 2008 to 2010.  They were dirt cheap which put them into the hands of people who could not afford to maintain them.  Be very careful what you buy.

I also once argued that an E30 is superior to an MX5 in every way.  However now they are far more expensive than an MX5...  I think I would still have an E30 over one though.

Certainly isn't too easy to get a real nice E55 now, but still doable and they are an absolute bargain. 

I can see both sides of the argument with e30s and mx5s, but they're totally different cars for different people. Personally I find the mx5 is a much more fun/pure entertainment drive. I've always found e30s to be a "nicer than normal, normal size car" from the era, not in a bad way though. 

I do have appalling taste though 😁

@qube
Fuel bills don't worry me, it's about having a car to love driving and yes the M3 looks great, but I think I'd prefer a coupe.

@dirtydoogle
I'm sure the E55 would be decent but I'd like something newer and as @driftit says there has been plenty of opportunity to people who don't maintain them to own them.

@m325i
I'm not favouring one over the other but an E60 could be considerably cheaper which is something to consider.

@Gaz
I must be looking in the wrong places. I haven't seen an E60 with bearings and clutch done for anything less than $35k. Definitely not interested in an X5M.

I'll keep looking and in the meantime I'll enjoy the 535is which still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.

In the E60 M5 there's also 2 idle actuators, 2 throttle controllers, 2 ionic sensors, 4 vanos solenoids.

Every one of those cost $1000 per item.

5 hours ago, GorGasm said:

In the E60 M5 there's also 2 idle actuators, 2 throttle controllers, 2 ionic sensors, 4 vanos solenoids.

So buy a nice one for 35k and keep 15k in the bank for a rainy day, sorted!! ;)

• Like 1

@martyyyn you're on the money.  At 6'5" an e46 or e9x is not going to be for you, and I think those suggesting they will be are overlooking your requirement of being really comfortable over long distances.

I think your e6x M5/M6 idea is a good one.  You know what you're getting into with maintenance - lots!  They're rather thirsty - you'll probably want to reserve use for drives to be enjoyed.  Do remember, although they're 'big' (ish), they're not heavy - in the 17xx kg range (M6 at the lower end, M5 at the upper).  The M6 is actually a little lighter on it's feet than the M5, and is a different driving experience.  If you're going to take on an S85 car, do try the coupe too, you'll be surprised.  The S85 growl makes the hairs on your neck stand on end *every* *damned* *time*, whether two doors or four.

F10 M5 - wow.  What a car.  Surely merits consideration.   I'm not sure if there are many F13 M6 available, but must be driven and experienced.  These cars are like a dinner suit you can run 100 metre sprints or a marathon in, they're so damned good at essentially everything they do.

The e39 M5 probably makes the most sense, as it's one you can replace your iS with, probably the most reasonable M-car for maintenance for the next ten years, and is closest to that e28 M5 you saw all those years ago.  No, you've missed 'value buying', but it may be better long-term value. 

It's worth reading Phil O'Reilly's M6 comparison article in DIXI.

Other options?  A Gran Coupe should be worth a look.  Indeed, an E38 if you can find a really special one.  Mercedes R129 SL600.  Audi RS6 (again, I think an RS4 would be a bit compact for you) potentially, though will it be special enough when you go to sell after ten years of complex maintenance bills?

Here's my wildcard.  Skip Maseratis, go straight to this: https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bentley/continental/listing/3094601044?bof=SMp7ZTNN  I've no idea what they're like as a maintenance proposition, and the cheapest Continental Coupe is probably not the place to start... it'd be pretty special every time you took it out though.

A fun puzzle to have!

You're right with everything there @Olaf.

The Bentley is definitely something to consider in years to come but for now I've made the decision to find the right S85. An uncle of mine once said "you have to own a V12 at least once in your life" and I did that with the 750iL so now I need to do it with the V10.

I'm leaning towards the M5 over an M6 mainly because they are more practical. There will still be occasions in the next couple of years to have people in the back and I wouldn't want to leave an M6 in the garage just because I have passengers. I also prefer the styling, I've always loved the E60 from the outside but the E63 would take some getting used to.

• Like 3

Id be buying an exige for the twistys and a generic diesel euro luxo barge for traffic. 

Edited by Jacko

2 hours ago, Jacko said:

Id be buying an exige for the twistys and a generic diesel euro luxo barge for traffic. 

When have you been able to get an Exige for 50K???

F10 M5. Ive done just over 25000kms and it’s the best combo of a daily driver cruiser and back road hooligan. 

There isn’t much noise compared to the V10 and that IMO is the biggest downside to the F10…. And wet roundabouts. 😂

• Like 1

On 5/27/2021 at 10:12 PM, leichtbau said:

When have you been able to get an Exige for 50K???

Have you ever seen someone of 6'5 try and get into one of those things ?

A friend had an Elise when they first came out. I didn't even bother to try after opening the door.

On 5/30/2021 at 6:38 PM, Young Thrash Driver said:

@martyyyn have you ever tried an E31 on for size?

Done the 90's barge thing with an E32 750iL. I'm looking for something a lot more chuckable and a lot faster.

On 5/17/2021 at 12:43 PM, GorGasm said:

I'm prepared for that. If I'd listened to everything I'd read on the internet I wouldn't have driven (and enjoyed) half the cars I've owned.

• Like 5

Oh I don't disagree.  I just blew 11 grand on a clutch.

The biggest cost on my E60 M5 was the depreciation when I sold it, followed closely by the fuel bill.  Only had to spend a few grand on in during my ownership.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GorGasm said:

...I just blew 11 grand on a clutch.

😶😮

That just gave me a nose bleed.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/m5/listing/3149679262

Kiwi new, updated post 03/07 production door cards, center console design, correct E60 spec ET28 style 167 rear wheels, headlights and taillights, AND top spec Individual audio system.

Edited by leichtbau

On 5/5/2021 at 6:51 PM, Gaz said:

Can pick m5s up for sub 25k with bearings and clutch done so 10k would cover a fair bit

Turns out you can find a car with bearings and vanos done for well under 30k.

• Like 1

Have you considered a Boxster?

It is not a hair-dresser car. Mid-engined (better than 911 for handling), flat-6, proper Porsche set up - and if you can get manual the better but 'beggars can't be choosers' eh.  People that have bought Boxsters are really happy with their purchasing decision.

I 'might' also be looking for a Boxster (you can't have too many Porsches), some pointers:

- bigger chance of bore-scoring on S cars (bigger engine capacity)

- there is still the IMS question (2002-2004 has the weakest IMS bearing, apparently) - 986 and 987.1 only

- 'til 2008/2009, Tip box is a Merc gearbox, bullet-proof and easy to repair if something goes wrong

Edited by 318Touring
  • Like 1

I would recommend the Cayman 3.4 over the Boxster and one in manual.  Might get lucky and find one for $40k.  But will probably have to budget for IMS repairs.

Edit: https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/porsche/cayman/listing/3113812752?bof=7qPz3mUt

E46 M3/E92 M3 or Z4 M coupe.  

M240i manual? I think if you wait a little longer, these will drop in prices. 

Edited by Contrails
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, 318Touring said:

Have you considered a Boxster?

It is not a hair-dresser car. Mid-engined (better than 911 for handling), flat-6, proper Porsche set up - and if you can get manual the better but 'beggars can't be choosers' eh.  People that have bought Boxsters are really happy with their purchasing decision.

I 'might' also be looking for a Boxster (you can't have too many Porsches), some pointers:

- bigger chance of bore-scoring on S cars (bigger engine capacity)

- there is still the IMS question (2002-2004 has the weakest IMS bearing, apparently) - 986 and 987.1 only

- 'til 2008/2009, Tip box is a Merc gearbox, bullet-proof and easy to repair if something goes wrong

The Boxster is a wonderful thing, and a great drive.  However, how does a very tall man get on for comfort and accommodation in a little 2 seater convertible Boxster?

1 hour ago, Olaf said:

The Boxster is a wonderful thing, and a great drive.  However, how does a very tall man get on for comfort and accommodation in a little 2 seater convertible Boxster?

A thorough test drive will need to be part of the buying process - unfortunately this won't be a simple exercise of PPI, deposit, fly-in, pay the remainder and drive home .....

Lots of tall club members (PCNZ) own Boxsters or Caymans.  Or talk to Reuben from Powerhaus Thorndon, he's rather tall, he's quite friendly and can give provide real-life experience.

Edited by 318Touring

A friend of mine had Boxters in the UK, it was a few years ago now but I remember only being in it with the roof down. I don't know if there is enough space in one for me with it up.