Sign in to follow this  
Michael.

E34 540i Restoration

So good.

Have you thought of buying or making a sand blasting cabinet, or a vapour blasting cabinet?

Or do you find doing it by hand is therapeutic?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zero said:

So good.

Have you thought of buying or making a sand blasting cabinet, or a vapour blasting cabinet?

Or do you find doing it by hand is therapeutic?

I'd love a vapor or sand blasting cabinet, it's been on my mind! Moving house next year so will hopefully end up with a larger garage setup to have tools like that. 

For now I don't mind the old chemicals and tooth bush clean up, it's a bit slower and may miss a couple of things but its 95% there. 

To be honest I kind of enjoy the slow clean up process. Certainly not a race haha, but I wouldn't do it again unless I had better clean up tools. 

3 hours ago, displayname said:

The content we need but don’t deserve. Wow.

Isn't this how everyone works on their cars? haha

It's enjoyable making a somewhat detailed post update on each little thing, reminds me of what I've done otherwise it does become a bit of a blur.  I feel bad cluttering up the server with so many large images. Hope this is ok admins? 

• Like 3

Could always offload the heavy lifting to something like Imgur, but at the end of the day after resizing, the images are very small so shouldn't be too much of an issue.

• Like 1

Do you find those exhaust mods makes as good an improvement as buying a good branded aftermarket muffler?

1 hour ago, zero said:

Do you find those exhaust mods makes as good an improvement as buying a good branded aftermarket muffler?

For the price of $2-3K for an Eisenmann exhaust box I'd rather do this because its considerably cheaper and more fun, it also preserves the stock look of the car, I want zero aftermarket parts on it. 

But of course it depends how it sounds, I am confident it will sound quite good, but if not back to the drawing board! 

• Like 2

I would be interested to see your performance differences with your modified muffler

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zero said:

I would be interested to see your performance differences with your modified muffler

Probably not a heck of a lot, maybe some back pressure differences, to be fair most of the exhaust losses would be caused by the headers, the internal diameter and some of the angles are pretty brutal but the do the job and are nice being double walled for cooler engine bay temps / metallic sound dissipation. 

Tidy! Keen to see this in person once you've finished. 

How did the chain guides look?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, coop said:

Tidy! Keen to see this in person once you've finished. 

How did the chain guides look?

Still like new, very minor wear, but I changed them anyway

yes old coolant sitting in those trans cooler and they will corrode , best to replace , cheap insururance 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rubix said:

That looks brand new! Awesome job Michael.

haha thanks it's getting there! 

• Like 1