Sign in to follow this  
Breaker

NPD 100 coming to Manukau

Seems the 100 octane from NPD will be at the new Wiri site by SH20. Any experience from its use in the SI?

https://www.npd.co.nz/100plus-high-octane-petrol/?fbclid=IwAR3Qmkg1I3kRV0aceJhNDjAMrw_Nq-A44yGCGjJPuOM13bS5WM0GTRde0Z8

• Like 1

It's one of those things that unless it is cheaper, the same price, or I am driving past.  I wouldn't bother going out of my way to get.

Car won't be tuned for it.  And if it was you would need to live near by.

10% ethanol plus a few other toxic chemicals to get to 100 octane. All the additives are banned worldwide, except here. Naturally.

Loves rubber bits in your fuel system, moreso if the car is seldom driven. And boy do the exhaust fumes stink😁

50 minutes ago, Bandit said:

10% ethanol plus a few other toxic chemicals to get to 100 octane. All the additives are banned worldwide, except here. Naturally.

Loves rubber bits in your fuel system, moreso if the car is seldom driven. And boy do the exhaust fumes stink😁

Where do you get this info? Their website claims there is no ethanol in it. 
https://www.npd.co.nz/100plus-high-octane-petrol/

Ran it in my 335i with the off-the-shelf 98RON stage 2+ tune, seemed to run great with no sign of knock/timing pulls. Use it in my M4 now (stock tune). Down here it's cheaper than BP's 98.

• Like 1

You can smell the ethanol. 

Because it is posted on the internet it may not necessarily be true

Ask a BP rep.

Try and use at your risk.

Banned in Australia, think it may be modelled on a Gull recipe.

Fuel retailer (retired) posting here.

Edited by Bandit

Pretty sure there is no ethanol content....

• Like 1

There is no ethanol in it, appears to be 98 fuel with an an additional benzene octane booster NMA.

NMA is banned as a fuel additive in some countries as apart from being very toxic, has been linked to increased deposit buildup in engines. 

1 hour ago, andrewm said:

There is no ethanol in it, appears to be 98 fuel with an an additional benzene octane booster NMA.

NMA is banned as a fuel additive in some countries as apart from being very toxic, has been linked to increased deposit buildup in engines.

Interesting. NMA... N-Methylaniline

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N-Methylaniline

A quick Google does lead to some comments against it. It is banned in Russia and China.

https://vuvanalytics.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Final_PEFTEC-2019-Presentation-NTGAs_2.pdf

image.thumb.png.ea28626a75670092dacf1fa09eaf85a3.png

Not great.

https://www.tropicd.com.au/tropic-fuels-nma-free/

From Wikipedia:
"N-Methylaniline is a principal component of NMA (monomethylaniline), a non-traditional antiknock agent increasingly used by petroleum refiners and fuel distributors around the world to increase the octane number of gasoline petrol. It is usually added to gasoline in concentration of around 1.3% volume to avoid high gum levels that can cause increased carbon deposits in engine parts[citation needed]. Higher concentrations are permitted by most regulatory agencies if a detergent and a fuel combustion modifier are added to the component to keep gum formation from happening. NMA blended in those concentrations to gasoline / petrol is not more toxic than the hundreds of chemicals that compose this fuel. "

Not necessarily bad I guess... depending on how much is added and what else is in there,?

I dunno, not my area of expertise, I just know how to use Google a bit...

Can confirm you're right, it's listed in the safety sheet

https://www.npd.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/NPD-100-PLUS-SDS-2020.pdf

image.png.85d2b72309722315e6b8e889bf6e2432.png

Edited by Matth5
  • Like 1

Anecdotal experience from several high end workshops in Christchurch have suggested that it is best not used in VAG (thing VW, Lambo, Audi and Porsche) as it is affecting the fuel distribution system) and by association other brands too.

And as previously mentioned prior the fuel company we worked with analyzed samples of the NPD 100 octane, the results from the labs showed ethanol contents varying from 8.2 to in excess of 10% by volume.

Thirdly our we have been using it because, well, cost and our workshop team gave me a huge serve for doing so. And I guess, shoulda have known better😣

If there is ethanol in there and it can be proven they should be called out because they market it as being ethanol-free...

This is starting to put me off using it...

Ill test some when it comes out.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2021 at 5:56 AM, Bandit said:

And as previously mentioned prior the fuel company we worked with analyzed samples of the NPD 100 octane, the results from the labs showed ethanol contents varying from 8.2 to in excess of 10% by volume.

😣

I've started using npd's 100+. From the terapa outlet there definitely isn't 8.2-10+% ethanol. 

My means of testing is the car cruising in steady state with no ethanol petrol gives me 15.4 afr. With gull 98 (e10?) I see 16.0+ afr (gauge only reads to 16.0). With npd I've been seeing 15.4.

This is an open loop system. The ecu doesn't see any feedback from O2 sensor or knock sensor(doesn't have knock sensors). 

Don't get me wrong this isn't a lab test. I'm sure other variables come into play. But from my limited knowledge I don't believe there is ethanol in their fuel. 

Interested to see what deteriorates with the fuel. 

There are signs up warning about plastic fuel tanks and other stuff. Will pay more attention next time

• Like 2

Have used NPD 100 on 3 tanks of fuel thus far, and it seems ok? I feel I am getting better fuel efficiency at the moment. (I mean, Rotorua and back on 3/4 a tank of fuel isn't bad considering the way I am using it) long term, will need to see the effect of the NMA on the fuel lines.