Sign in to follow this  
M3AN

PSA: Repco Jackstand Safety Recall

This seems to happen too often with this type of equipment, one more reason to get a hoist i suppose!

• Like 3

It's about time. There have been multiple recalls on various brands in the states for quite a while

Likely worn out dies and typically poor Chinese QC 

Ratchet stands are poo. Pin lock is the way. 

I had a reasonably new ratcheting stand drop an RX3 at my head while servicing after the Motu. That was scary 

• Like 1

Watched the Hydraulic Channel on Youtube testing jackstands make me decided to get pin style jackstand.

• Like 2

I really want a pair of the OG screw style stands my friend has. Weigh a ton, are a pain to level anything on (since they have a fairly fine thread) but are almost impossible to go wrong. They're the same as these

37286faf-d07d-49f7-9983-e871fc3223c6-jpe

I have two pairs of old ratcheting ones instead. They have never been a problem, but they're about 10 years old now so probably before the bits fell off the tooling dies. I do feel safer using my Quickjack though.

• Like 1

Cheers for that.

Just checked and have V1 version, phew

These ones very manual rather offer style. Can be spoilt pinned as well

image.jpg

Just because the ratchet part doesn't work you can still make good use of the stand...

Cheers...

image.png.019b0ab502e1b61914a35631a841bd14.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

its not just the ratcheting mech thats failing in the US, its the welds on the base too.

https___api-thedrive-com_wp-content_uplo

• Sad 1

Probably better to go back to the old tried and true methods...

Cheers...

image.png.b5895224820950953a68d861848187cd.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Think I'm sorted. I have two pairs of these.

No description available.

Biggest issue is getting the car high enough to get these underneath!

• Like 1

Should look like this if you do it right....

Cheers...

jackstands.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Do you use a forklift to get it onto the stands?

12 hours ago, KwS said:

Do you use a forklift to get it onto the stands?

Don't know how they do that but I figured this one out :) 

Cheers...

82535927.jpg.cbf8ff1eea3dd2464ae7ae8b1a0ba97b.jpg

Edited by jon dee

On 5/8/2021 at 10:40 PM, KwS said:

I really want a pair of the OG screw style stands my friend has. Weigh a ton, are a pain to level anything on (since they have a fairly fine thread) but are almost impossible to go wrong. They're the same as these

37286faf-d07d-49f7-9983-e871fc3223c6-jpe

I have two pairs of old ratcheting ones instead. They have never been a problem, but they're about 10 years old now so probably before the bits fell off the tooling dies. I do feel safer using my Quickjack though.

I've got four of this style... although 2 are dads. His 2 were in professional use for about 50 years, then my brofessional use for the last 20 years and I trust them with my life regularly.

I'm SO over chinese sh*t... It's so rarely worth the cost, even though it's "low".

I wouldn't go as far as buying an English car... but my Toaster, Cooker and vacuum cleaner are all British made by low-standing old companies and have all the parts available for purchase and have been built to be repairable. Granted, combined, they cost more than my car... but you only have the capital outlay once!

Research... then pay decent money, get a decent product and get on with life - you'll soon forget the extra you paid, when things just work, are easily fixed, or just DON'T try to kill you...

There was a time when I believed that I needed to buy the best British made hand tools for doing a bit of DIY woodwork in my shed. Now those fine trade quality tools are quietly rusting away while I use cheap electric or battery powered tools when I feel the need to saw, drill, sand or plane. So what I have learned is that a person should buy the tools that are suitable for and appropriate for their needs. Trades people should buy the best quality, handymen can manage with medium range and DIY "FARK!!! hit my thumb/cut my hand!!!" type people might as well buy cheap as they are going to end up getting someone else to finish the job anyway.

Back on topic... I have four Chinese "3 ton" jack stands exactly as shown in this pic...

image.jpeg.25207966de665313c2da6c2dd6a21e27.jpeg

These same stands are sold in every country that has covid and yet the news media are not reporting a pandemic of crushed bodies or severed limbs due to stands failing in service. Yes, I have no doubt that there have been failures but covid vaccines appear to have contributed to a few deaths as well. How many ? Who knows... maybe one for every ten million jabs ? About the same with jack stands I would guess. 

In any event, I put four of my "3 ton" jacks under my 1700kg car, so assuming equal weight distribution they are each carrying around 425kg which is 14% of their rated capacity. That gives a safety factor (LOL) of 7 for the Chinese stand. I'm OK with that. But there is no way I would put three tonnes on one of those stands and want to be in the same room. It's just basic risk management :)

Cheers...

• Like 2

I usually stick a wheel or something extra under the car, not trusting my life on any single point of failure!

• Like 4

Looking forward to getting my hoist. And no more chinesium stands or tools.

• Like 1

I'm guilty of it myself occasionally but does everybody realise that referring to China in the way that this thread does is certifiably racist? Any country can make crap products and often quality control is a reflection of the demands put upon the manufacturer, not the capability of the manufacturer (or their staff).  Apple's products are all made in China and are rarely considered poor quality (whether you think they suck or not).

🤔

NB: I'm anti-woke and don't think cultural (mis)appropriation is a thing, I'm just pointing at a turd and calling it sh*t.

• Like 3

I agree with you generally, but any manufacturer that gives in to demands to build sub standard safety equipment, and any government that allows this practice, deserves to be called names.

• Like 1

Yep, and any company that commissions safety products and doesn't demand proof of safety is equally complicit, as are governments that allow the import and sale of such goods. From design to delivery the whole chain is at fault, not just one part of it.

6 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Yep, and any company that commissions safety products and doesn't demand proof of safety is equally complicit, as are governments that allow the import and sale of such goods. From design to delivery the whole chain is at fault, not just one part of it.

This.

Like you previously mentioned, China makes all kinds of products, some are cheaply made because the company themselves want to take shortcuts, others are reasonably made. Just a matter of what the company/manufacturer’s standards are.

Almost everything we own/use in the western world is made by China, so apart from the stereotypical jokes, I don’t think genuinely associating the country with crap products is 100% fair.

I am certifiably not racist. It makes no difference to me who makes a product, but if it is a crap product I will call it as such. I see no need to pussyfoot around the issue... if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, then I will call it a duck.... not an anas platyrhynchos domesticus to avoid offending a countries sensibilities. Ultimately, by telling the truth, you are providing valuable feedback to the supplier that will help them select and stock a better quality product :P 

Incidentally, I consider that the jack stands I bought from a local store are perfectly adequate for my purposes and I have no complaints.

Cheers...

22 minutes ago, jon dee said:

I am certifiably not racist.

That’s what all racists say.

Jokes aside, I think if a product is 💩 then call it as such, don’t need to identify it with a certain people group.

Anyway, being too PC is tiring so I’ll stop there.

Your little rant about ducks is making me want to eat roast duck

• Like 1