Sign in to follow this  
ItcheNZ

New Zealand 1987 BMW E30 M325i M Tech 1

Hi E30 and BMW Members . I have been trying to find out more information about the New Zealand E30 M325i M Tech 1 . If Possible I would like to know how many of these model where sold in New Zealand .  I have some information which I have from other Web Site which Read as follows .

In New Zealand, where the M3 was never officially sold, the local importer created a sporting version of the sedan called M325i. About 100 such cars were imported beginning in late 1986 until at least 1990. Fitted with the standard non-catalyzed 171 PS (126 kW) 2.5 litre engine they benefitted from a Motorsport fettled suspension, the M-Technic body package, 15-inch BBS cross-spoke wheels with wide, low profile (225/50) tyres, and a limited-slip differential. The M325i is quite similar to the British market 325i Sport, also developed as a response to the absence of a right-hand-drive M3.  

Is this Accurate for the Total number including  M Tech 2 .  I have found other Information which says 

"I have been told that only 298 models of the 1987 right hand drive M-tech 1 were ever made before they switched to the M-tech 2 making it a seriously rare beast indeed, and after the M-tech 2 which sold a lot more was done the next M3 was produced in right hand drive too making it pointless carrying on the M-tech line "

Is this Accurate for the Total number of M Tech 1 Made and if so how many M-Tech 1 are in New Zealand.

Thanks in Advance

2021-05-06 11.00.06.jpg

2021-05-06 11.00.01 Edited.jpg

• Like 5

Is that your car in the photos, looks very, very nice. Much kudos to you if it is.

Have a look in the “Is this where the E30 Market is now thread..?” In the TradeMe discussions forum, there is a lot of talk around the NZ M325i in there. Especially the last couple of pages.

@leichtbau put some very specific info on the Tech I 325i in there and may be able to answer your questions.

Thanks for the Advise I did have a look and there was not a great deal on the Tech 1 specifically . But a lot of comment about the Price and Value what you could buy them for 3 Years ago . This car is a bit different from most as it was a 1 Owner car I bought it just before the Red Tech 2 Car Sold . I am associated with the original Owner  when he decided to sell it changed hand out of sight of the normal Market as he did not want people to come over and drive it and tire kick so to speak. I paid the asking price did not even try to negotiated because of the condition of the car. It has been serviced by the same dealer from new . It is fully document with original purchase Invoice and all the items that came with the Car it even has every WOF paper from the last 35 Years.  It is Eligible for the Concours Survivor class this year which is where it will be entered and this is still in Original unrestored condition. Drives like a new car and it will get used but not Abused.

• Like 2

Nice, I think I know of your car.

There are a few details In the texts you have quoted that are a little off, but overall yes the Tech I version of the E30 is much rarer than the Tech II.

That is a lovely car. So good to see these survivors reappearing.

• Like 1

Hi Jon

It was hard to find info on the Tech 1 the text I put in my post was from information gather from other sources . Any information you could add to make it less off would be appreciated Thanks 

4 hours ago, ItcheNZ said:

Thanks for the Advise I did have a look and there was not a great deal on the Tech 1 specifically . But a lot of comment about the Price and Value what you could buy them for 3 Years ago . This car is a bit different from most as it was a 1 Owner car I bought it just before the Red Tech 2 Car Sold . I am associated with the original Owner  when he decided to sell it changed hand out of sight of the normal Market as he did not want people to come over and drive it and tire kick so to speak. I paid the asking price did not even try to negotiated because of the condition of the car. It has been serviced by the same dealer from new . It is fully document with original purchase Invoice and all the items that came with the Car it even has every WOF paper from the last 35 Years.  It is Eligible for the Concours Survivor class this year which is where it will be entered and this is still in Original unrestored condition. Drives like a new car and it will get used but not Abused.

Looks amazing :)

100 total might be a good ball park figure if you factor attrition in, there's 60+ definitely still on the road, probably not too far from the truth!

open source Mt1 data; of the cars not written off:

• 4 Polaris '86 cars as I've detailed previously (which didn't have the 333 option mtechnic package - just the relevant options individually)
  • 9 085xxxx chassis number cars
  • 5 286xxxx chassis number cars
  • There's also at least 6 UK 325i Sport's here as well, all of which are 085xxxx cars - the crucial difference between them and the kiwi new cars is that they got the 206 option 260/5 close ratio gearbox with 3rd and 4th being different ratios to the standard 260.

There's now more E30 M3's in NZ than there are mt1's. The early mt2 cars were also 286xxxx chassis numbers before they shifted to 358xxxx and AE5xxxx. South Africa and Australia didn't get the mt1 as an mtechnic car, and neither did Japan - it was really a New Zealand / Great Britain only car, so 298 RHD mt1 cars might not be too far from the truth.

The UK has howmanyleft which lists models still registered or SORNed, but is susceptible to the foibles of how the registration data is entered, but some ballpark figures can be inferred from the below link

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/bmw_325_i_sport

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the help. I had a long conversation with the BMW NZ president about the NZ M Techs 1 and he said that the body kits and final touch where done by BMW in NZ and contracted out to a panel and paint shop in Pamure Mt Wellington Area Auckland . If any body has information on this would be appreciated.

14 hours ago, leichtbau said:

The UK has howmanyleft which lists models still registered or SORNed, but is susceptible to the foibles of how the registration data is entered, but some ballpark figures can be inferred from the below link

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/bmw_325_i_sport

Uk data is a lot more accurate as it is mostly UK new units (far fewer used imports) so model data comes from the manufacturer, not the random guff written on the MR2A at the AA shop.

Only around 1,000 UK Sports left (would be Tech I and Tech 2 version), damn, “cash for clunkers” has a lot to answer for! Although prices probably wouldn’t have risen like they did if the numbers hadn’t dropped so dramatically.

• Like 1

WBAAB320X00858585

NZ new Mtech 1 black enjoying life. A friend of mine is selling his silver one on trademe (30k). 

DE2B86A6-C37A-435C-9DF1-688FFA250871.jpeg

• Like 3

FD50BE03-1F17-45A8-A0FD-73FDBA7077D8.jpeg

4287501A-69A3-4577-A1B4-54B1F6744BA7.jpeg

6CFE1E05-6A78-4171-BB0F-2DDCC4A8AF6D.jpeg

193D6C2D-08D0-4FC9-98F7-27C8BD43B584.jpeg

92057126-9D35-4B10-BB7C-06EB6E21D190.jpeg

7600835A-6A1A-4171-B446-D02E25F14A06.jpeg

0506A37F-B7EA-4E73-A4E9-218ECFC7B84F.jpeg

A4CFAF74-D75B-4320-9C12-3E777C876245.jpeg

F5E0EADA-6C7D-4036-8581-162148DBE193.jpeg

11B971B1-9447-496F-82F5-B22F9F6BBAD9.jpeg

• Like 8

Btw, the silver Mtech 1 on trademe got sold for $40k! 

36 minutes ago, Contrails said:

Wise decision by the owner. Might have to get some popcorn ready for 10:30pm tonight.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Contrails said:

Wow. It did look like a well loved tidy example with life left in it :)

31 minutes ago, leichtbau said:

Wise decision by the owner. Might have to get some popcorn ready for 10:30pm tonight.

Sweepstake?

1 hour ago, Contrails said:

This one? 

Screenshot_20210516-202155_Trade Me.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, E28E30 said:

Sweepstake?

I'm game! I picked the red m325i to get to $60K so I'll go with $48.5K.

As an aside, what is with all the Hamish's suddenly bidding on E30's on TM? My best mate of the same name is also after an M325i but wants a specific colour.

14 minutes ago, leichtbau said:

I'm game! I picked the red m325i to get to $60K so I'll go with $48.5K.

As an aside, what is with all the Hamish's suddenly bidding on E30's on TM? My best mate of the same name is also after an M325i but wants a specific colour.

Hi Harm

Noticed the Hamish BMW connections! Does your mate want the charcoal grey colour? 

Am thinking $50200 

I got sad and poured wines when my bid on the red one at $43k was passed! That was gooD viewing though.

Edited by E28E30
Fixed

10 minutes ago, E28E30 said:

Am thinking $50200 

Auction close time is always something to be considered, so someone might get a bargain!

11 minutes ago, E28E30 said:

I got sad and poured wines when my bid on the red one at $43k was passed! That was gooD viewing though 

I lead for a while early in the piece but knew it was going to be a record breaking auction so had no real hopes of owning it. Pouring wines at $43K was dangerous, you might have ended up owning it!

9AAAD5B2-6E6A-4F4F-A6A7-28041343E69C.jpeg

CA1DD23F-AE37-447D-8A63-FA96727E04BB.jpeg

30465348-BE25-4E9D-A929-FFA72641864A.jpeg

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, leichtbau said:

Auction close time is always something to be considered, so someone might get a bargain!

I lead for a while early in the piece but knew it was going to be a record breaking auction so had no real hopes of owning it. Pouring wines at $43K was dangerous, you might have ended up owning it!

Haha hmm may have ended up with an expensive 325i SE in similar circumstances :) 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, E28E30 said:

Haha hmm may have ended up with an expensive 325i SE in similar circumstances :) 

OOooooooo. Well on the bright side, there's no such thing as over paying for a classic car, there is such a thing as selling too early.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, leichtbau said:

OOooooooo. Well on the bright side, there's no such thing as over paying for a classic car, there is such a thing as selling too early.

$52k for the MTech 2:)

Edited by E28E30