Sign in to follow this  
Zadkiel

NZ New E30 M3

Hi all, I am looking for an NZ new E30 M3. It must be converted to RHD, have AC and sunroof. Everything else is preferences but those are the must haves. Let me know if by any chance you know of one! :)

There was one on TradeMe for literally years, only recently stopped re-listing. The white Evo 1, you might be able to track that one down.

• Like 2

It didn't have AC or sunroof.

Yeah I'll drive it a fair bit. In some ways it could be considered my daily.

• Like 2

At least you know what you want.  Right hand drive, and A/C, and sunroof, and NZ new?  I wonder if this exists?  Good luck with your search.

On 5/12/2021 at 11:58 AM, Zadkiel said:

Hi all, I am looking for an NZ new E30 M3. It must be converted to RHD, have AC and sunroof. Everything else is preferences but those are the must haves. Let me know if by any chance you know of one! :)

There's a guy in the Manawatu with an  Lhd &  Rhd e30 M3's kept in his barn. He's getting on a bit now though and we haven't seen them being driven about much lately. If you are serious, PM me your contact details, I could pop a note in his letter-box.  ( Don't climb the gate if you visit though, there are usually 1-3 dogs running loose on the property.)

Yeah, also  I know a land-agent who can direct you to a house with a ex-Japanese 'suicide submarine'  in the basement and/or a property with lots of sheds with ex US Army Willys Jeeps and piles of 'new/unused' spares stacked away...

• Like 1

I don't suppose you know the details of the RHD one, ie if it is NZ new, has a sunroof and AC? I wouldn't want to waste this person's time if it isn't right.

Not to sound flippant but I don't need this vehicle, if I can't find exactly what I am looking for then I will move on to a different option.

Edited by Zadkiel

On 5/18/2021 at 12:07 PM, Zadkiel said:

I will move on to a different option.

Genuinely curious what that would be?

On 5/15/2021 at 10:53 PM, beemwr said:

I know a land-agent who can direct you to a house with a ex-Japanese 'suicide submarine'  in the basement and/or a property with lots of sheds with ex US Army Willys Jeeps and piles of 'new/unused' spares stacked away...

Hmm, Willys' tickle my interest. Good childhood memories... 

On 5/18/2021 at 12:07 PM, Zadkiel said:

I don't suppose you know the details of the RHD one, ie if it is NZ new, has a sunroof and AC? I wouldn't want to waste this person's time if it isn't right.

Not to sound flippant but I don't need this vehicle, if I can't find exactly what I am looking for then I will move on to a different option.

The 'Barn RHD 1991 e30 M3' , I understand, came into NZ with a returning NZer. It was in the last batch they they made and does have a sunroof, A/C & leather seats. I read that only a couple of RHD's were made at the factory, right at the end of the production run, no other RHDs were made at the factory. BMW supplied RHD kits though to an approved dealer in England. 

Sorry to relay to you  that there was never any likelihood of a NZ new RHD e30 M3's sent direct  to NZ, l believe.

There were no E30 M3s built in the factory as RHD, there are two mythical RHD E30s that supposedly went to Japan as "evaluation" units, these were actually converted off the line at BMW M headquarters in Garching. Some also try and claim one of the JPS M3s in Aussie was a factory RHD, but it was a kit of bits supplied from the factory that converted one of their 325i chassis over to M3 specification from what I understand.

That said, the NZ New E30 M3s had to be converted over to RHD in order to be used on the road, which was done by an outfit called Road & Track in Rotorua I believe. The conversion used 325i parts (rack, dash, etc) and local fabrications (modified headers, etc.). Very similar to the conversions that were offered in the UK, by I think it was Birds (as they were called then - they did Hartge, Alpina, etc).

Plus there are a few "tourist delivery" vehicles which were driven by the owners in Europe before shipping to NZ, at whcih point they had to be converted over to RHD (not sure of exact numbers of M3s but was very small) but were still recorded as "NZ New" for some strange reason.

So there might be a car that ticks all the boxes out there somewhere...

• Like 2

Yes, by NZ New RHD drive I am looking for vehicles converted here at the time. I would be open to a vehicle that has been imported later and converted but that would be subject to the quality of the conversion. Due to the rule changes it is significantly less common for vehicles to be converted these days so realistically the most likely way to find a RHD model is to find one of the ones converted at the time. I have other LHD vehicles and due to how much I hope to drive this I would definitely prefer it be RHD.

The answer to other options is to go on to other vehicles I have on my "to buy" list, some which vary greatly from this and some of which do not. If I simply can't find what I want I may just give up and buy a LHD one but probably not. When you take something that is a small inconvenience but multiply by it by a lot of times it becomes a big one. If the E30 path doesn't work then I might buy an E46 M3 if I can find the right one. Or buy another CSL and manual convert it this time. I'm kind of looking for an E39 M5 too. I imagine that any other option I go for would be simply for a few years whereas if I can find the right E30 M3 then I intend on keeping it forever.

• Like 2