Sign in to follow this  
Southerner

E46 Diesel Touring Daily

Brief history on my automotive needs is that I like to have a daily vehicle, particularly a wagon/touring, even better a diesel.

This was my previous one ( I've actually had two), despite the look they are awesome, super cheap to run and minimal maintenance 

20210426_165800.thumb.jpg.1575b2f626574abdff64e2599cbd93b6.jpg

Super stylish!

Anyway, this next touring was actually spotted by fellow member and good friend @euroriffic who knew I was on the look out for an e36 touring and suggested this. I actually told my father who brought it and then he actually owned it for 6 months as I said I was to own it if he ever sold. Alas, it sat around and I finally got to grab it!

NZ new, 320d, touring, 210kms, goes pretty good!

20210512_164947.thumb.jpg.41a457ebb625a7af8b6aa5799316f0eb.jpg

First job was a wof, cracked brake hose, swapped over and legal!

20210513_174301.thumb.jpg.245253a771c1c3113d2589a9b32a5559.jpg

Completely pulled it to bits, First week of ownership and day 1 of new wof

Removed intake to remove swirls and someone had beat me to it, although used the factory plates and resin the hole, I brought a kit from X8R Ltd in Europe.

20210513_174330.thumb.jpg.3b860f25492e338643920fd74a0fdd9e.jpg

Also cleaned the EGR

20210513_171154.thumb.jpg.01499af9bc8be499c440ba2ef5eb1243.jpg

Replaced glow plugs while I was in there.

Plan is to put in new/refreshed suspension and OEM 18inch wheels I currently have sitting other end of the country 🙄

Other than that will drive around the countryside and keep working on my E30.

• Like 6

e46 touring still looks great - even if the SE NZ New ones are a bit 'poverty pack'. Can see it's been looked after, still on Pirellis at 18 years old

that should be a great wagon, far more dynamically satisfying than your Corollas have been, if a little more taxing on your wallet.  What's not to love about the e46?

Yeeha! e46 diesel touring gang.

I love these cars, and the diesels seem to come with a few more factory options than the petrols usually do.

Vin decoder for you; 

205 Automatic Transmission Automatic Getriebe
249 Multi-function For Steering Wheel Multifunktion Fuer Lenkrad
255 Sports Leather Steering Wheel Sport-lederlenkrad
279 Lt/aly Wheels Star Spoke 45 Lm Raeder/sternspeiche 45
302 Alarm System Alarmanlage
386 Roof Rail Dachreling
411 Window Lifts, Electric Fensterheber,elektrisch Vorn/hinten
431 Interior Rr Vw Mirror W Aut Anti-d Innenspiegel,automatisch Abblendend
441 Smokers Package Raucherpaket
473 Armrest, Front Armauflage Vorn
481 Sport Seats F Driver/front Passenger Sportsitze Fuer Fahrer/beifahrer
508 Park Distance Control (pdc) Park Distance Control (pdc)
520 Foglights Nebelscheinwerfer
534 Automatic Air Conditioning Klimaautomatik
548 Speedometer With Kilometer Reading Kilometertacho
650 Cd Player Cd-laufwerk
661 Radio Bmw Business Radio Bmw Business
692 Cd Changer I-bus Preparation Cd Wechsler I-bus Vorbereitung
785 White Direction Indicator Lights Weisse Blinkleuchten
818 Main Battery Switch Batteriehauptschalter

Edited to add that it looks like you have all the msport options except the cosmetic bits.

Edited by zero
  • Like 1

Yea i am new to the E46 chassis as such, but so far its not too bad! Had noticed it has a nice steering wheel with button controls and a few other things i cant seem to see on other tourings around so good the hear this one had a few options!  Will msport kit it in the long run eventually, just waiting for one to come up down here

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top
Massive quote

For reference, the sedan msport front bumper and sideskirts are identical to the tourings, so that will make it easier to find. The rear msport bumper is unique to the touring though.

Spec is better than I had anticipated, sports seats and steering wheel definitely a win. Those 16 in wheels aren't great! The PDC also has a different set up on the m-sport rear bumper than the SE one so you'll probably be drilling holes in one or forgoing it...

Does anyone know if the FL and Pfl msport bumpers have the same fitment?

With the rear I was possibly thinking of keeping the stock bumper as is, as I don't think msport would allow me to keep towbar aswell? This also alloys me to find an easier to find msport sedan kit and only need the front and skirts

Why would you want a pfl front bumper?

Fl is so much better

19 minutes ago, zero said:

Why would you want a pfl front bumper?

Fl is so much better

Sorry, new to E46 as a whole. Is there a pfl msport? Or are all msport as such the same?

Just need to know what to keep an eye out for 

@Southerner FYI - Weitz Industries has a Silver Facelift Sedan and Silver Facelift Msport kits in stock.

They are in Hamilton though.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Southerner said:

Sorry, new to E46 as a whole. Is there a pfl msport? Or are all msport as such the same?

Just need to know what to keep an eye out for 

There are a lot of different E46 front bumpers, but for simplicity sake, there are 3 "main" msport ones.

M Tech 1 which come on the PFL sedans

Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum

M Tech 2 for FL sedans (almost same as the below one but has the black moulding)

Sale Bmw E46 98 04 3 Ser Mtechm3 Front Bumper For Sale in Killarney, Kerry  from TuningParts

and M Tech 2 for coupes (both PFL and FL) no black moulding but has a indent line across it

BMW E46 Mtech 2 Front Bumper - Khoalty - YouTube

• Like 2

Perfect, thanks for the clarifications. Had tried google but was proving difficult to easily distinguish,

Will see what i can dig up locally and then look further north, freight be the thing as a large consignment and fragile!

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top

all good. since your touring has the side mouldings in black, it would make sense to try find a Mtech2 for sedan/touring (2nd pic) to match the rest of the car.

the other 2 bumpers would probably look a bit weird and obvious that its added on rather than looking "factory"

• Like 2

Few things have arrived this week from Weitz. Looking forward to what its hopefully all going to come together like

20210915_184526.thumb.jpg.e04c2a0237f56c43473bf4736d43a1d2.jpg

Some badges were also in the lot, not new but alot better 

20210915_183210.thumb.jpg.7fee935bf7ea74dbdec758aa96465be6.jpg

20210915_183309.thumb.jpg.fa295bc8964d624b606a361f5d433bf1.jpg

20210915_183611.thumb.jpg.33ddf36c306449c1fb4dc56f74fa7bcb.jpg

20210915_183653.thumb.jpg.87c5f1e9409ebdabc43e96a12c60a915.jpg

Also contained a tech kit ill get sprayed up to match and put on.

Have some 18inch wheels coming down the country in October. 

Looking into the Eibach pro lowering kit and some new shocks. Should make for a good all round package all going well

Edited by Southerner
  • Like 2

@Southerner Cam it's looking good mate!   FWIW I did Sachs OEM shocks, bushes etc nearly 100k kms ago on my 2002 325i touring, kept the stock springs and 16's.  It rode better, but tippy-toed around corners.  Great advice from @Herbmiester and 3pedals/Bill/William.... I ended up hunting out the fattest ARBs from the BMW Lego parts catalogue, fitting with new bushes, and staggered 17" motorsport setup using e90 Style 194s.  

This made the car ride and handle better, without making my family uncomfortable.  Handles way flatter, half of the steering wheel input required for SH1 and SH5x corners compared with stock - a big improvement. Watch for broken springs in rear, a bug-bear of e46, particularly Tourings.

As the car's about to become my runaround again (it's been my wife's car for last 4.5 years), I think next year I'll give it a birthday - Koni Yellows and - most probably - Motorsport springs by Lesjofors... @adro reminded me they're available from Rockauto and it's what M539 Restorations used on his on youtube [edit] e46 Touring.

HTH

Edited by Olaf
M539 e46 Touring project
  • Like 2