Sign in to follow this  
Deffed

ITB tuning

Writo this is for the tuners and tech experts. Individual throttle bodies, with sensor on each. Each one tuned separately then linked to master sensor.

M60b40 v8 of 4ltr complicity. Adopt the idea of 8 inderviduel 500cc cylinders and tune to maximum performance on each. 

Fed back appreciated.

Run a pyro and 02 in each header, pretty common way to tune ITB's via a 2D map

Andre Simon said this on the topic of....

Individual cylinder tuning via EGTs

In the situation you have I try and match the EGT within about 20 deg C. You will never get them 100% exact and also remember that compared to the likes of a lambda sensor, the EGT is a little slower to respond. I'd also suggest only trying to match EGT in the high load/high rpm area. At idle and low load the discrepancy is hard to eliminate and also a little irrelevant.

When trimming the cylinders I personally add fuel to the hot cylinders rather than removing fuel. There isn't a right or wrong way of approaching this but that is my preference. Make you changes in small increments of 1-2% at a time and creep up on the correct trim.

Always use the lambda sensor for your actual AFR tuning and just use the EGT's to guide you in a cylinder to cylinder trim. I'd also mention I've seen a huge variation in EGT readings between exposed tip and enclosed tip EGT sensors. The exposed tip read hotter, react a little faster but also don't last as long

Thread here... https://www.hpacademy.com/forum/general-tuning-discussion/show/individual-cylinder-tuning-via-egts

So basically use the individual cylinder fuel trim to get the EGT's evened out and then tune your fuel map by AFR as usual. At least that's how I read it :) 

Cheers...

Edited by jon dee

Wow thank you,once i figure out what all that means il put it to use. What equipment do i need to use or calibrate these things?. I take a computer/laptop is needed,any type if software/program. Im old school points and distributer stuff.

Here is a link to a HALTECH video that shows the "money is no object" way of tuning with EGT's... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NoFfck5v4c

Depending on how serious you want to get, you can work your way down from CANbus to something more mundane that the average bloke has a chance of understanding :) You will need an engine computer (ECU) capable of running sequential injection and ignition for an eight cylinder engine, and with the capability to do individual cylinder fuel trimming. A decent laptop to run the ECU software and make tuning adjustments, plus eight EGT sensors and a controller to generate outputs for your laptop. Your ECU should have inputs for at least two WBO2 sensors (one for each bank) and all the other sensors that you need for tuning, compensation tables and failsafe / engine protection features. 

You will need to research and plan carefully, and then check your plans with a reputable performance engine tuner to make sure that you are on the right track. Choose an ECU that your tuner knows and loves. HALTECH are good but there are others like LINK who should be able to do what you require. 

Cheers...