Sign in to follow this  
martyyyn

WTB: E60 M5 (maybe M6)

1 hour ago, martyyyn said:

. We've had five years of roadworks between Kapiti and Porirua and they aren't going to end anytime soon.

All supposed to go away in September when the Gully opens... but since they've chipsealed most of it you could be in for more of the same.

20 minutes ago, jom said:

All supposed to go away in September when the Gully opens... but since they've chipsealed most of it you could be in for more of the same.

That's true but only from Mackay's to Porirua. From Peka Peka to north of Otaki is not due to be finished until the end of 2022.

I can tell you from experience that black is worse.  I think white suits the E60 M5, but you would be best off with a silver or other light metallic I think.

55 minutes ago, GorGasm said:

I can tell you from experience that black is worse. 

Wesley has an alternate viewpoint here:

• Haha 2

On 6/27/2021 at 11:15 AM, leichtbau said:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/m5/listing/3149679262

Kiwi new, updated post 03/07 production door cards, center console design, correct E60 spec ET28 style 167 rear wheels, headlights and taillights, AND top spec Individual audio system.

Is it me or is that bonnet askew?

gaps don’t line up 

Edited by Bennyboy

On 6/29/2021 at 11:09 AM, GorGasm said:

I can tell you from experience that black is worse.  I think white suits the E60 M5, but you would be best off with a silver or other light metallic I think.

Nah, dark trumps light all day long when it comes to car's being dirty.

You can't see the tar on the diamond schwarz, you can see it when close up on the sparkling graphic metallic but you can see it from a distance on the space grey metallic.

2 hours ago, han16 said:

This Silver 05 popped up over the weekend: https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/m5/listing/3173037049?bof=OnWlScsW

Has the black with silver details interior. Wheels will need a tidy up however.

Sounds like @martyyyn has purchased.

15 hours ago, leichtbau said:

Sounds like @martyyyn has purchased.

Yep, an E60 M5 in malachite green dark with climate seats and having had the bearings and vanos done is now sitting on my driveway.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, freaknout said:

Congratulations !

Colour sounds interesting. Any photos available online?

Better yet @martyyyn needs to bring it on the next meetup :wub:

Curios to hear who has the S85 that sounds the most diesel like on idle :D

• Haha 2

On 7/13/2021 at 1:55 PM, freaknout said:

Congratulations !

It's almost impossible to photograph.

You can stand side on and think the car is either black, green or blue. The only way I can describe it is like a peacock feather where the colour changes on how you tilt it to the light.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2021 at 2:00 PM, Jun said:

Better yet @martyyyn needs to bring it on the next meetup :wub:

Curios to hear who has the S85 that sounds the most diesel like on idle :D

This has an exhaust from XForce whoever they are. It's all fine when cruising, not too obnoxious but it's quite something when kicked in the guts.

It will be great to meet up with the others and make some comparisons. This needs new badges and grills and has black wheels which are growing on my but I'll probably be refurbed back to silver when it comes to replacing the tyres.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2021 at 1:55 PM, freaknout said:

Congratulations !

The car's filthy after the weekends weather but the sun is out so these give you an idea.

IMG_20210719_110025.thumb.jpg.38e3e367060054c4f266e1cd939570ec.jpg

IMG_20210719_110014.jpg

• Like 8

Awesome colour! And no biggie that it is a little dirty 😁

Edited by treone
  • Like 1

Looks like a beautiful spec, Martyn. I love a dark green exterior over a light interior.

• Like 1

I've been doing little bits and pieces this week, removing the monsoon shields (or whatever they are called) and even worse the tape used to stick them on, replacing the black badges, cleaning the caked on wax in the panel gaps and plastic trim and the colour is really starting to grow on me. In bright sunshine it can almost look blue.

I've stocked up on bits from UCC to do a paint correction and I'm just clearing work so I can have a couple of days to do it in one go.

It needs some trim pieces and I'm reminded of why we all go overseas for our parts. Contacted two dealers and two independents with a list of what I need and only Gavin replied to say he doesn't do trim pieces. No reply from the others so FCP and Schmiedmann will be getting the business.

After that the wheels will be returned to silver and I'll likely replace the tyres. Although to be honest I wasn't hanging about on the trip down from Auckland and pelted over the Paekok hill the other day and they've not given me any problems. But Jinyu and Comforser are brands I've not heard of before so I may not take any risks with them.

Anyone have any opinions on Laufenn LK03's ? My local guy can get a matching set for around $1200 which seems like a bargain when compared to $2400 for Bridgestone S007's.

• Like 1

I said the same thing to daniel with his E60 M5 but you can get a set of Michelin PS4S for around $2200 which is a great deal and way better than the laufenns (which are fine as a cheaper alternative)

Michelin PS 4 maybe cheaper.  That maybe my next set, but I am happy with the Bridgestone S001 it currently has.

Below is 4 vs 4s vs cup 2. I think realistically I don't track the car, 4 is the more appropriate tyre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMv64liOqIE

But I go for the cheapest Bridgestone, Goodyear or Michelin.  So far for the past few years Tony tires always has given me the best deal for our old cars.  I also like their tyre insurance, have used 2x already in the past decade.  Since Tony tires has been bought by Bridgestone, that means all our tyres are now Bridgestone.  But sometimes I deviate from their offering, using Cooper tyres on our Cayenne as there is no comparable AT tyre available in Bridgestone.

Edited by Jun

I have PS4's on both the E34 and F10 and would have no issues putting them on this if I can find some.

On the E90 I have Bridgestone S001's on the rear and 003's on the front. The rears have done 38k and the fronts close to 80k before being replaced last week.

The car goes into Mike Page next week for a look over so any wheel refurb and tyre purchasing will be dependent on what he finds.

You may think that the tyres are fine.... once upon a time I had 2 Metros, one on old Michelin Xs and one on Continentals (both euro spec, in the UK). The difference in the dry around a mini roundabout was 20 mph faster on the Continentals. Don't ever think that a cheap tyre is "OK". You'll only find out when you really, really need the grip.

• Like 1

I disagree now, I used to be that tyre snob.  I currently have Laufenn LK03 and Michelin PS4S on my cars currently.  Nothing wrong with the Laufenn's, they appear to be the same design as the old Hankook S1 Evo which was a decent tyre.  I also had some of the cheapest tyres out there - Triangle th201s - which came with my 535 and I ended up running them for 30k km and they were absolutely fine wet and dry.  I was adamant when I bought the car that I was going to replace them because I was that tyre snob.

The Michelins are fine in the dry but do not inspire confidence in the wet.  They track and slip like crazy on shitty NZ roads.  The Triangles felt better, albeit on a different car.  I vote give the LK03s a go.

Certainly there are exceptional cases of super sh*t tyres, but in my experience so far the Laufenns LK03, Roadstone Eurovis Sport 04 and even the Triangle have been fine.

My hunch is that anything made in south east asia, in the hot, humid climates is going to be bad on NZ roads.  Every time I have tried their tyres I have felt like the reaper is in the passengers seat.

Edited by GorGasm

I'm not saying the tyres are great because I haven't tracked them. But in both coming back from Auckland (SH39, SH4, SH3, SH1) and the Paekakariki Hill (which I do several times a month) they did just as well when pushed as my E34 535is on PS3's, my F10 535D on PS4's and E90 320D m-sport manual on S001/RE003's.

So for what you can legally do on the roads these tyres have been ok so far. Even in the weather we had last weekend.

I have just found a place doing a set of Laufenn LK03's for $970 which may see me buy them and put them in the garage.