Sign in to follow this  
martyyyn

WTB: E60 M5 (maybe M6)

15 hours ago, GorGasm said:

My hunch is that anything made in south east asia, in the hot, humid climates is going to be bad on NZ roads.  Every time I have tried their tyres I have felt like the reaper is in the passengers seat.

RE-003s (as a great baseline tyre) are made somewhere in South East Asia.  They're in fact very good on NZ roads, and inspire confidence in the wet.

1 hour ago, Olaf said:

RE-003s (as a great baseline tyre) are made somewhere in South East Asia.  They're in fact very good on NZ roads, and inspire confidence in the wet.

I run RE-003 on my R34 Skyline.  They work well on spirited driving, sorry no track experience.  Data shows its ok on track.  It stops well on wet conditions, it's the most comfortable set we had.  Previous set are Goodyear F1 GSD3, Bridgestone R001.  The improvements it's a lot more quiet and comfortable.  It seems to also wear a lot better, so I might actually have to sell and dispose the tires after 10 years from manufacturing.

I think most tires these days are pretty good.  I just go with the tires that has some data and reviews.  And get the best deal I can get, make sure I got the tyre type I need.  Brand and model will come 2ndary.

This is an interesting video/article about this topic:

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/How-bad-can-tyres-make-a-car-Premium-VS-budget-tyres-tested.htm

Also look at getting tires shipped from Auckland, I did it once.  It was a good experience.  I only did as the rims I wanted was sold in Auckland, got Hyper Drive to ship the rims fitted as free shipping.  Eventually sold the rims and tires after a few years the same price I purchased it, so it was pretty good.

I was running 4x brand new Laufenn LK01 on my previous M135i with stage 1 tune (220kW at the wheels) and in the wet on corners I definitely felt I had to take it easy.

Changed them to RE003s and was more confident in the same corners. 

On 7/22/2021 at 1:57 PM, Jun said:

I think most tires these days are pretty good.  I just go with the tires that has some data and reviews.  And get the best deal I can get, make sure I got the tyre type I need.  Brand and model will come 2ndary.

The Hankooks I bought for my e60 were bought under the 'most tyres these days are pretty good'.  The test results and reviews suggested they were the equal of the RE003s I ran on it beforehand.  The tests and reviews were wrong, and I continue to be underwhelmed.  Perhaps the Laufenns (I've heard good things), or better Hankooks would have been better.

There's no replacement for experiencing the damned things. 

Perhaps more than anything else, YMMV. 😀

Depends which Hankooks I think.  The EVO range are generally well regarded, everything else not so much.

Definitely YMMV.  And more than anything you can only really comment on tyres which you have purchased new or have a recent date stamp on them.  Old tyres are dodgy regardless of brand.

I’m happy with my Hankook V12 Evo 2s for daily and spirited (not silly) street driving.

Will likely get PS4s next however as they seem like the best tyre at a decent price point and available in so many sizes.

For a cheaper tyre the RE-003 / Indy 500 looks good and performs pretty well. But what no one is mentioning is longevity. They wear pretty fast. My experience with Michelin is great milage, (even with track). So if you plan to keep the car the extra millage you get combined with top in class of all other categories, make them the best choice for me for sports cars. 

Going from RE050's - PSS / PS4 is way more quiet, rides softer, looks better.  

The price difference is pretty small if you plan to keep it, so if you're on a nerd forum like this even asking the question, just get the best sh*t

• Like 1

Here it is under lights (filthy again) looking blue.

IMG_20210728_110607.thumb.jpg.db304bb0a2552c2c2ed26ca0dd1799c0.jpg

• Like 1

Bought some bits from FCP Euro and fck me if they didn't fold the rear window trim in half to get it in the box.

I know people with half a brain cell who wouldn't have done this.

IMG_20210805_124434.jpg

IMG_20210805_124438.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I expect they will make this right,

their replacement guarantee means people actually send them used brake pads, discs and used engine oil back and get replacements. 

• Like 1

My mate didn't even need to send back the (street) brake pads he destroyed in 5 laps at Hampton, he just sent FCP pictures of them and they sent him new ones, no questions asked and no shipping fees either. I was floored.

Send them the pics, pretty sure they'll see you right.

Now, having said that, some of that damage doesn't seem like it comes from folding alone? I got a rear window seal for my M3 from FCP and it came rolled up which was no problem.

• Like 2

Starting to remove the black and the Japanese. Front and rear euro sections arrived last week and am waiting for the bodyshop to paint them. Original grills bought last week from a wreck as original are ridiculously expensive and the euro plates arrived today.

Just have to decide whether I use the euro front and drill holes in the plate or get another set of euro plate holders. I think I'm leaning towards the first, paint the holder, drill holes in the plate and get covers for the screws.

old-front.jpg

new-front.jpg

• Like 4

The FCP rear window rubber was replaced after I sent them the photos. It arrived really quickly and in a massive box this time, but it was still bent.

Thankfully not enough to stop me getting it on but given the size of the box I don't know how it's been damaged this time.

rear-window-rubber.jpg

• Confused 1

Yes, very odd. Glad it's still workable for you.

Perhaps do a picture search with the part number... perhaps they come all wonky? The fact that the split looks the same as your other one indicates they might be made like that? Strange.

The split did make me think that, but the first one had definitely been bent in two and there does appear to be some kind of metal backbone to it which I couldn't straighten out. The second one was far less bent but it still doesn't make sense for it to be twisted in the way it was.

I managed to straighten it and get it on so that's good enough for me.

Black badges, Jap plates and debadged updated to proper badges, Euro plates and badged.

IMG_20210710_092305.thumb.jpg.f285597d797e40e1d433597069482866.jpgIMG_20210928_100042.thumb.jpg.c1b606bc8c7bd18a00c52062ca1659dc.jpg

• Like 5

And today I replaced the black wheels with the rubbish tyres with a set I've had stripped, straightened, painted and wrapped in PS4's.

I think this is the best cosmetic change I've made.

IMG_20211011_100902.thumb.jpg.55f640bb9a94f9d675c6ab6360af44db.jpgIMG_20211011_143535.thumb.jpg.bfce5715aa42df56e8df4cdc5db81088.jpg

• Like 9

Thanks, all I'm doing is returning it to stock.

I think the E60 M5 is classy enough as it is, so why change it.

Maybe I'm getting old !

• Like 2