Sign in to follow this  
LemonHunter

E46 330i vs E39 540i (non Motorsport)

Howdy folks, this questions has probably been asked over the years but here we go again.

im tempted by two cars

2001 E39 540i w/ 265,000km, chain guides, brakes, shocks and springs all new, gearbox reconditioned. $5000

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-3080237162.htm

2002 E46 330i w/ 160,000km unsure of any specific maintenance work completed. It’s a private sale so nothing to link.

https://bimmer.work/vin/k204ede538f8454ba4590db287c493086/

I’m looking at moving out In to the wops, so I’ll have both twisties and long straights to contend with.

I’ve never owned or driven an E46, but I loved the crap out of both my e30 323 and e36 328, the latter was more than fine on long trips.

would love to hear thoughts from all on this particular conundrum.

E39 a more comfortable cruiser but also capable with good suspension. will sound good too I hope.

E46 more nimble and sporty if msport, doesnt seem like it based on the vindecoder though :(

Ive done plenty of roadies in both my E39 530i and E46 330ci/i in the past and both excellent (they were all m sport versions).

It might depend how much the E46 is and how much $ required to get it up to scratch since the E39 has had a fair bit of work done it sounds.

The other advantage of the E46 is it's local, for the E39 I really need someone to check it out for me before I fly up 

14 minutes ago, LemonHunter said:

The other advantage of the E46 is it's local, for the E39 I really need someone to check it out for me before I fly up 

I would if I could but full schedule this week and its on the complete other side of the city for me.

any more details on the E46?

hows this?

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/330i/listing/3038236477?bof=QFEJe4Yc

Keep in mind the E39 will have a steering box, not a rack. The E46 will always be more sporty.

Ah yes, I have previously owned a e39 540 motorsport (and an e34 540iS (Ohhhh yes, the iS))

I did find them to be somewhat lacking in the steering/braking department, the ability to be able to leave your boot right up the gas as late as possible without typically reaching lethal speed in a car that corners much faster is relaxing.