Sign in to follow this  
Bandit

Start saving......is this the way of the future?..........

Is there any valid reason for such cars to exist ? I mean, apart from... "because we can!!!".

Cheers...

• Like 1

I've really never found these kinds of cars interesting. I'd rather see a nice restored E30 go past. I guess that's just what I can relate with haha. 

• Like 2

On 6/7/2021 at 4:36 PM, jon dee said:

Is there any valid reason for such cars to exist ? I mean, apart from... "because we can!!!".

Cheers...

Yep, technology advancement in the real world. The Late Brake show has a good interview with the owner of Rimac, part 1here where he explains the longer term plan for te company and in Part 2, (havent watched yet) i think he goes into detail about which other manufacturers are using Rimac tech.

OK... agreed, technology marches on. My question was more aimed at the need for a 1000hp road car. At that level of power there appears to be a great deal of anecdotal evidence that drivers with less ability and training than that of a Formula 1 pilot will have difficulty in maintaining control of the vehicle. Or to put it another way, how does the ability to accelerate to 60mphph in 3 seconds and top 200mph benefit the motor industry and the typical driver in general ? 

If there is a benefit to be had, it can only be if the technology demonstrated in these " Schwarzenegger " cars can be downsized for use in less extreme vehicles for the general public. Given that there are already many manufacturers of pure electric vehicles (and more emerging all the time) it would seem that there is really little need for further hybrid development.

Perhaps of more concern (depending on your point of view), is the growing trend for the technology and manufacturing giants to relentlessly force new products onto the motoring public. The vehicle industry is flat out making faster and more powerful vehicles at a time when speed limits are being forced down. Politicians and legislators are being lobbied by pressure groups praising the benefits of autonomous vehicles, yet there is no detectable ground swell of public demand for such vehicles.

Yes, businesses operating fleets of linehaul trucks can see an advantage in a truck that can work 24/7 without a break and without a driver. But does that mean that we need the government to set targets for getting a percentage of autonomous electric vehicles on the road ? Hhahahaha... I hear you say... ridiculous !!! But then, if someone had told you 25 years ago that one day the telecom industry would train you to never go anywhere without a Dick Tracy wrist watch, you would have laughed too :)

Cheers...

NjvlHvH.jpg

• Like 1

Mate Rimac has good taste with his personal cars......

Edited by Bandit

OK... I watched the first video and it appears that one car is faster than the other in a straight line :rolleyes2: Had to watch with the sound off as the guy who organises the drags is a blunt axe and provides zero real insight into any of the cars he features.

The second video was more interesting. The Rimac guy has had an uphill battle to turn his dreams into reality, and deserves all the success he can get. His account of how Hammond came to write off the prototype was revealing. I had previously seen those other two Top Gear clowns goading Hammond into out driving his ability in his final run up the hill, and had wondered what the real facts were. I might add that shamelessly publishing the crash video to get the internet dollars after putting their colleague in hospital through their stupid actions, is unforgivable. Profiting from another persons misfortune when you contributed to it, is not a class act in my book.

Never the less, I stand by my previous comments. Just this morning I am reading that the government is putting in place regulations to push us into electric vehicles.  Even if they have carefully engineered artificial engine noise generators piped into the interior, they will never replace the smell of Castrol R in the morning :) 

Cheers...

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback jon dee. Sadly the government incentive discount structure announced yesterday, effective July 01, still leaves this writer significantly short of the funds required to sign up for a Rimac Nevera  ☹️

But he is financial enough to invest in 500ml of Castrol R, and leave it opened in his garage workshop. 😁

Edited by Bandit

That's a start, but the true nuances of the aroma of Castrol R can only be fully appreciated when incinerated under high compression and expelled through a megaphone exhaust. Maybe try adding a little to your weed wacker fuel ? That's about as near as I will get :)

Cheers...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jon dee said:

That's a start, but the true nuances of the aroma of Castrol R can only be fully appreciated when incinerated under high compression and expelled through a megaphone exhaust. Maybe try adding a little to your weed wacker fuel ? That's about as near as I will get :)

Cheers...

Castrol R is Straight 30. I use it in my 4 stroke lawnmower. It makes mowing the lawn a real pleasure....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jom said:

Castrol R is Straight 30. I use it in my 4 stroke lawnmower. It makes mowing the lawn a real pleasure....

I'll have a chat to the gardening guy when he calls next 😉

Only one thing missing would be an authentic sound track to make the olfactory and auditory immersion complete. You need something like this played loud on an outdoor sound system... preferably early on a fine Sunday morning to allow the neighbours to share your joy :)

Cheers...

EDIT: Just realised I have linked two videos of old British racing motorcycles warming up... so I guess my secret love is no secret any more. These old single cylinder machines are more temperamental than Trump and about as reliable. But when they sing their song on the racetrack and every beat of their mechanical heart can be heard loud and clear, it is music to my ears :)

Edited by jon dee