Sign in to follow this  
topnotchrally

Values rising? lol

Didn't move at $39k, won't move at $59k.

What do they think it is - a 1988 325i? 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

52 minutes ago, Sammo said:

What do they think it is - a 1988 325i? 🤣

Haha, cheeky of them!

1 hour ago, Sammo said:

What do they think it is - a 1988 325i?

Or a 1989 318i? 🤣

• Like 2

I sold the guy some style 22’s I’m assuming for this car, I dropped them off to his dealership. The guy is sitting on array of cars that are rising in value some of them are not even on the market yet. Its a long game, but no doubt it’ll sell eventually.

• Like 1

It's becoming really hard to talk to the insurance for the past few years... I had to keep on bumping up our insurance... explaining the the customer service.  Telling them that a Nissan is the most expensive car... more than the BMW.  Oh the Porsche, that is crap has no value.... :huh:

Now this is depending on the customer service you get for the year.  Last year I just move insurance company because the under writer can't understand that a 2005 M5 is the same car as a 2006 M5.  I have only asked 1 time for a valuation from a dealer, so far the other years they are just ok with looking at Trademe or autorader.  They would just match the price.  Any other luck getting correct insurance coverage aside from going the classic cars insurance? 

4 hours ago, Jun said:

It's becoming really hard to talk to the insurance for the past few years... I had to keep on bumping up our insurance... explaining the the customer service.  Telling them that a Nissan is the most expensive car... more than the BMW.  Oh the Porsche, that is crap has no value.... :huh:

Now this is depending on the customer service you get for the year.  Last year I just move insurance company because the under writer can't understand that a 2005 M5 is the same car as a 2006 M5.  I have only asked 1 time for a valuation from a dealer, so far the other years they are just ok with looking at Trademe or autorader.  They would just match the price.  Any other luck getting correct insurance coverage aside from going the classic cars insurance? 

AA has been quite receptive.  They were a bit weary that I wanted to up the insurance on our 200sx to 25K.  But came back to me the same day and said it was fine.  Now I have to ring them a year later and ask them to up it again haha.

They must be aware of it now though.  I upped the value on all my cars.  Even the cheap ones like my Daihatsu Rocky.  It's a $3000 car.  But I couldn't replace it for less than $8000 now.

@Driftit 200SX? $25k sounds light these days… S chassis making E30 values look low 🤣

1 hour ago, Sammo said:

@Driftit 200SX? $25k sounds light these days… S chassis making E30 values look low 🤣

you've nailed it. a large proportion of those greetin' about the rising price of e30's have had their blinkers on and missed the action in the 90's Japanese market.

e30's are just following standard Classic Car price curves in times of economic uncertainty and at those key points along the age curve - either buyers, or the nostalgia factor coupled with the age and earnings factor of the buyer.

• Like 2

Yup they are way up in the not worth it at all category for me now.

A stock 08 135i would thrash the pants off nearly every 90's jap performance car.  The wife knows that.  And really wants one.  But the 200sx was her first love.  Hard to let go.

that's all well and good by objective measures.  then introduce (say) the E-Type Jaguar.  They used to be somewhat affordable.  Pretty affordable, given what they were sold alongside.  And viewed - at the time - as a healthy performer.  Will it measure up to tour NZ in against the 08 135i you mentioned?  In roadholding, performance, and safety terms, absolutely not.  Yet someone who wants what they wants, won't care a fig for how much better the modern car is.  Even the poor-man's E-type, the MGB.  Or BGT!

You're valiantly trying to pass an objective measure against a subjective item.  There's a less-than-comfortable fit there.  It works for you, and you're scratching your head about why someone would spend crazy money on an old E-Type.  Or the MGB.  And they'll recognise that the BMW 135i is a superior car, but even at the same or less money, won't provide what they're looking for.

And that, is the secret sauce.

• Like 1

So pretty much exactly what I just said...

The reason we still have the 200sx over the 135i.

• Like 1

QED your 200SX is just as "just not worth it at all" as any e30!

3 hours ago, Olaf said:

QED your 200SX is just as "just not worth it at all" as any e30!

Yes.

They were good because they were cheap.

• Like 1

I'm wondering if there will be another boom once N54/N55 cars become classic.  I can see it going down the toilet in the next 10 years due to the electric boom.

Potentially makes it a good time to sell your classics in the near future?

• Like 1

Just now, GorGasm said:

I'm wondering if there will be another boom once N54/N55 cars become classic.  I can see it going down the toilet in the next 10 years due to the electric boom.

Depends on why you've bought it in the first place...speculate, enjoy or perhaps both.

40 minutes ago, GorGasm said:

Pretty sure E82 135is are already holding steady, drifting upwards IMO.

That could be the post Covid supply issues though.

I came to the BMW brand BECAUSE of the e82 135i, looked hard at that and got seduced by an e46.

But I still have an unexplicable yearning for the e82, and every time I see a 1M I almost explode.  Other people just

don't get it, but it's personal and frankly unexplainable.    As with most purchases for us 'car guys'.

• Like 2

On 6/9/2021 at 11:49 AM, topnotchrally said:

Six or so months ago they were asking $46000 for this car... seems it has gone up in value quite a bit since than...

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/m3/new-listing/3118113298

Wow! The price has dropped $10k. What a bargain!!!!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, topnotchrally said:

Wow! The price has dropped $10k. What a bargain!!!!

That old ‘Black Friday deal’ trick. Put the prices up leading up to the sale and on the day show a big discount. PB tech has done this a few times. 

• Like 1

Sept 24,,,,,,,,,,,,and it's still for sale.

At $45990 today (and dropping??)

IMHO it will a few years  up to forever before they get that $ for it.  LHD!  

I reckon it will be on the market for ages considering there was an Estoril Blue RHD e36 M3 for 50K that was on the market for quite a while and only recently must have sold. Would rather buy HellBM's S54 M Coupe that has a buy now of 50K if I was out to spend that kind of money. 

On the topic of Z3s, I suspect that LHD M3 will be stuck on the market with the LHD M Roadster that is currently for sale. This M Roadster is a US Import so has the crappy US Spec engine and rear bumper yet they are asking 36K! M Roadsters are definitely very cool but a US spec one that is LHD is not even 20K cool imo. It does look to be in very nice cosmetic condition at least, and more tidy than the LHD M3. 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/z3/listing/3238065780?bof=EIFu2IUr

Edited by Kees

All three e36 M3's have had a recent price drop...

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/m3/new-listing/3118113298 (down 3k)

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/m3/listing/3082890008 (down 5k)

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/m3/listing/3306085270 (down 6k)

Still not sure I'd pay that much for any of those examples.