Sign in to follow this  
Harper

AW on M tex E46 M3

So much want. Alpine white, no sunroof, m tex interior. I assume this is being imported as I was under the impression there was only one AW coupe in NZ and it was a sunroof car. Not to mention the interior, which in addition to mine will be the only other factory specced car left on the road.

40k asking seems very... low

https://www.trademe.co.nz/3131580110

Edited by Harper
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Harper said:

...I assume this is being imported...

Yes, it's not even in the country yet. Photos look like they were taken using a digital camera made at the same time as the car.

Seat and steering wheel wear looks far in excess of the claimed mileage of the vehicle, caveat emptor, especially as it's unlikely to come with service history and it's an early example.

• Like 2

@M3ANsteering wheel looks fine. Bolster wear is perhaps slightly more than expected for the mileage but hard to tell from those abysmal photos. 

The spec alone makes this easily more than a 40k car. 1 of 1 in nz and 1 of very few world wide even. Not to mention fairly low mileage. They haven't listed the vin so we can't know if the interior has been swapped in or not which could explain some of the bolsters wear. 

Early MY and smg does definitely make the car a little less desirable however. I can see this being purchased very quickly by someone who knows how few of these are around. 

Edited by Harper

The AW is desirable but I suspect there are only a few of us that want mTex. 

Looks like a nice enough car, and a prime candidate for manual swap. 

• Like 1

@KwSthe temptation is very much there. I don't need two M3's, I don't need two M3's...

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Harper said:

I don't need two M3's, I don't need two M3's...

Today on "lies you tell yourself"....

Genuine F2AT car, but as mentioned, will be an MK20 rather than the MK60 for the dsc.

AW over F2AT is probably my ultimate M3 spec but really need to see some decent photos, that interior looks thrashed and those Hamann wheels could do double duty as supertanker anchors.

Edit: only 457 RHD coupes were made in AW so the number with F2AT is probably even a fraction of that again.

Edited by leichtbau

So would this import bypass emissions due to it age, or that it qualifies as a SIV? 

By the time it lands on NZ shores, the car will be a scratch over 20 years old, by days. so it is a technicality 

6 minutes ago, lord_jagganath said:

By the time it lands on NZ shores, the car will be a scratch over 20 years old, by days. so it is a technicality 

06/08/01 production date

1 hour ago, leichtbau said:

06/08/01 production date

IIRC it goes off date of first registration, not build date

Pretty sure that’s still the case, over 20 years since first rego when it  arrives in NZ.

So technically, you could bring in a car that’s shy of the 20yr threshold and hold off registering it til it’s anniversary? 

There were at least 4 Z4M roadsters  ex Japan imported into Christchurch last year 2007 / 2008 built and registered. All out of the BMW Japan network. 

Edited by Bandit

2 hours ago, Bennyboy said:

So technically, you could bring in a car that’s shy of the 20yr threshold and hold off registering it til it’s anniversary? 

I know a few people used to do that but not sure if that loophole was plugged. 

2 hours ago, Bandit said:

There were at least 4 Z4M roadsters  ex Japan imported into Christchurch last year 2007 / 2008 built and registered. All out of the BMW Japan network. 

I'd say they would fall under a SIV category, thus able to be registered now 

My favourite loophole was the spate of E30 M3's getting registered as farm vehicles before they crossed the 20 year old statute.

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, leichtbau said:

My favourite loophole was the spate of E30 M3's getting registered as farm vehicles before they crossed the 20 year old statute.

Well, they are pretty agricultural ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Bennyboy said:

I don’t think so, it’s supposed to be based on the arrival date into NZ from the shipping import documents.

I know of a few cars that have fallen foul of this and had to be re-exported and then re-imported.

On the other hand there are plenty of cars that are complied every week that shouldn’t be. Here’s hoping the government will finally get tougher on this now they are pushing the new emissions rules.

8 hours ago, Bandit said:

2007/08 into Japan were most likely EU4 compliant from factory so wouldn’t need to be 20 years old nor SIV.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2021 at 10:07 PM, leichtbau said:

Genuine F2AT car

What does that mean?

On 6/11/2021 at 6:04 PM, KwS said:

I suspect there are only a few of us that want mTex. 

+1. With no heating, leather is cold & slippery in winter, hot in summer. 

10 hours ago, m325i said:

What does that mean?

F2AT is the option code for the m texture interior. This will be the 6th one in NZ afaik. But this will be the only one still on the road that's factory specced (sort of). One other m3 running around with this interior but it is not factory specced. Rays old LSB. 

Edited by Harper

The HellBM built e46 m3 Touring replica (which I currently own) has the m texture interior also.   I've been a full leather fan forever - but love this texture!   I'm a convert.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, leonf said:

The HellBM built e46 m3 Touring replica (which I currently own) has the m texture interior also.   I've been a full leather fan forever - but love this texture!   I'm a convert.

Would love to see photos! Didn't realise that had m tex in it. Where did you get the interior from?

My car is one of the 5 (soon to be 6 with this new AW m3) in NZ specced with the interior but was retrimmed to black leather. Sourcing a set has been seriously difficult, but it's slowly coming together. 

Edited by Harper