Sign in to follow this  
han16

08 E60 M5

The exhaust finally sold, booked in and had Hyperdrive come out with the mobile van to fit some Michelin PS4s. Absolutely chuffed with how much better the car looks vs the black wheels.

IMG20210909143932.jpg

IMG20210909143945.jpg

Edited by han16
  • Like 15

+1, it's looking very classy.  Great work!

Back to being a car you'd look at and want to own!

I always thought they looked quite smart in OEM E60 M5 spec. 

A small update.

The car has been behaving itself, aside from the drivers active seat starting to squeak when the side bolstering was moving in the bends. After some cursing, I managed to remove the rear panels from the drivers seat giving access to the gears which needed some lube.

Over the holidays with another mate in his Lexus GS450H we did a small trip up to Opononi thru the Kauri forest on highway 12, the M5 went really well in the tight corners and I can't say enough good things about the PS4s's.

IMG20220105073608.jpg

• Like 5

I get the slight impression you had the most fun in the M5. Can't imagine much joy an a CVT V6 Hybird soft Lexus. Maybe if it was a GS-F 5.0 V8 that would have been different. 

Those PS4s are great tyres, can't go wrong with them at all. 

Have any experience with the GS450H?  I have been idly thinking about one for a while now if I ever sell up the Maserati.  Or even just a GS350.

24 minutes ago, GorGasm said:

Have any experience with the GS450H?  I have been idly thinking about one for a while now if I ever sell up the Maserati.  Or even just a GS350.

They aren't a slow car but do accelerate weird with the CVT, usual rev holding and switching thing at different points. Gives the impression the car is broken. Would be a nice cruising car I guess. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Wow, that's ^ weird.

Or “bloody awful”?

• Haha 1

The LS600H is the same operation, but you get a constant rpm sounding V8 that changes a few times as you go faster. They pull well but its just odd compared the the usual 6, 8 or 10 speed automatic shifting points. 

I read somewhere there were complaints from buyers with respect to the operation so some manufactures don't bother with CVTs anymore, or have changed them so they have more steps to the acceleration. On paper they are quite clever but in practice quote odd compared to what people are used to. 

On 1/25/2022 at 6:54 PM, Michael. said:

I read somewhere there were complaints from buyers with respect to the operation so some manufactures don't bother with CVTs anymore, or have changed them so they have more steps to the acceleration. On paper they are quite clever but in practice quote odd compared to what people are used to. 

Having lived with a CVT for many years as a daily, its perfect for many things. No gear changes, always in the powerband, effortless acceleration, its never in the wrong gear. The CVTs that drive like an auto with "steps" are a waste of a good transmission just for the sake of pandering to idiots, basically having the worst of all worlds. As with most things in life, the majority of the CVT naysayers havent lived with one and are just regurgitating what they have read/heard.

• Like 1

Can't be much different to my 535i with the ZF 8 speed.  It's a pretty boring drive train, smooth quiet and relatively efficient, but boring.  The GS450h is also e-CVT with a planetary gear setup rather than your normal CVT.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, KwS said:

Having lived with a CVT for many years as a daily, its perfect for many things. No gear changes, always in the powerband, effortless acceleration, its never in the wrong gear. The CVTs that drive like an auto with "steps" are a waste of a good transmission just for the sake of pandering to idiots, basically having the worst of all worlds. As with most things in life, the majority of the CVT naysayers havent lived with one and are just regurgitating what they have read/heard.

I've driven a few, not a fan. 

• Confused 1

On 1/25/2022 at 11:49 AM, han16 said:

A small update.

The car has been behaving itself, aside from the drivers active seat starting to squeak when the side bolstering was moving in the bends. After some cursing, I managed to remove the rear panels from the drivers seat giving access to the gears which needed some lube.

Over the holidays with another mate in his Lexus GS450H we did a small trip up to Opononi thru the Kauri forest on highway 12, the M5 went really well in the tight corners and I can't say enough good things about the PS4s's.

IMG20220105073608.jpg

Sensational sky!

• Like 1