Sign in to follow this  
Ghost Chip

Rounded bolt

Ran into a bit of a problem trying to take the pressure plate off over the weekend, conveniently rounded off 3 of them. A bit stuck for ideas. Going to try use vice grips (just trying to source one out) but don’t really know if I’ll have enough space. Could also file some flat edges on the outside of the bolt to get more grip (again would need to source out a files). If those don’t work, my last resort was thinking of stick welding a hex nut over the top of it and use the nut (and again will need to source stick welder as well).

Attached some photos for reference.

B1F60580-EE92-4A9A-A74D-8D4FC637CFD0.jpeg

A5774E43-E8F1-4D61-91D7-B77F5305A922.jpeg

use a metal punch and a hammer , grind heads off etc , all easy options

56 minutes ago, *Glenn* said:

What were you using to undo them?

6mm hex bit and a ratchet

33 minutes ago, BM WORLD said:

use a metal punch and a hammer , grind heads off etc , all easy options

Don’t have either of those, so metal punch may be the cheaper option out of the two

13 hours ago, Ghost Chip said:

6mm hex bit and a ratchet

Don’t have either of those, so metal punch may be the cheaper option out of the two

chisel type one 

All of the above should work hopefully to remove them,

For the future just a couple of things you may or may not know, especially with axle bolts i found,

1. Make sure all the grime etc is out of the socket so to allen can actually go all the way in and minimize rounding off, alot of axle bolts i find have the first 5mm rounded as people haven't done this

2. Give the allan or socket a tap/impact, ensures again its all the way in and the shock can also help unseize 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Southerner said:

For the future just a couple of things you may or may not know, especially with axle bolts i found,

1. Make sure all the grime etc is out of the socket so to allen can actually go all the way in and minimize rounding off, alot of axle bolts i find have the first 5mm rounded as people haven't done this

2. Give the allan or socket a tap/impact, ensures again its all the way in and the shock can also help unseize 

Thanks! Definitely didn’t do both of those and only realised afterwards (hindsight eh 😅). Didn’t really think since the first bolt was alright.

Cheers for the suggestions by the way, been busy so will need to put off until this weekend unfortunately.

On 6/17/2021 at 8:59 AM, Southerner said:

3. DO NOT USE CHEAP HEX SOCKETS.

I made that mistake and will never do it again. Make sure you get the best brand you can get and not some cheap Supercrap rubbish. I replaced mine with Bahco and the difference in how tight of a fit the hex was was huge, its no wonder the cheap ones rounded the bolts out.

• Like 2