nzpanda92

AGM Batteries

Hi All,

Looking to replace my battery in the 550i and was wondering where the best place to purchase them from, and what "brand" is the current flavour of the month. Are there any pros to buying a Varta as opposed to a Century or Bosch? Looking like needing a DIN88LAGM. I am aware of the process of registering the battery as I have an IBS on it.

Any info would be much appreciated!

Happy driving!

I discovered after 2 flat near new batteries that now they use calcium on the plates. These batteries can't be charged by old battery chargers - you'll need one that specifically charges calcium batteries. It's the only way to fully charge the battery.

I previously shopped at Superstart Batteries in East Tamaki. Good price on branded products. 

Superstart.net.nz

• Thanks 1

And I've had success with Mr Positive (for a Bosch), might pay to give them a call too.

But yeah, AGM batteries are expensive.

Got my LN1 AGM from Batteryworx in Penrose , good work. was $360. their Century DIN88L is $605 on special it seems. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/17/2021 at 5:39 PM, nzpanda92 said:

Hi All,

Looking to replace my battery in the 550i and was wondering where the best place to purchase them from, and what "brand" is the current flavour of the month. Are there any pros to buying a Varta as opposed to a Century or Bosch? Looking like needing a DIN88LAGM. I am aware of the process of registering the battery as I have an IBS on it.

Any info would be much appreciated!

Happy driving!

I got an AGM Koba SA59520 95AH (20HR), 850A (EN), 180MIN (RC) battery for my 545i and am *very* happy with it.  It was not particularly pricey.   You need a DIN88L.

• Thanks 1

Thanks all! Will check out all the options. On a side note - how often should the batteries be changed?

When required.  Symptoms include frequent discharge condition, odd codes.  Battery testing.  Still, my old bettery (a Marshall) was testing okay though giving issues (I'd already changed IBS)... changing it out for a new battery and ensuring correct registration resolved problem.

Bear in mind the IBS cable causes issues (545i); there's an updated part available - not sure if all 550's already got the later part.  

HTH

6 minutes ago, Olaf said:

Bear in mind the IBS cable causes issues (545i); there's an updated part available - not sure if all 550's already got the later part.  

HTH

They may not have as I remember mine being replaced in London at my cost!

• Like 1

yeah it's a recall item in USA but not in NZ.

7 minutes ago, Olaf said:

yeah it's a recall item in USA but not in NZ.

Was there a bulletin I can read about with this issue? 

I saw a chap on trade me selling new Century DIN88LAGM’s for about $500 which isn’t too bad. 

You'll probably find Koba less expensive.

I don't have access.  Use your google foo.

Just popping in to say I managed to get a Century DIN88LAGM battery from Supercheap just before Christmas for $420 which was a bargain!

@LemonHunter I’m looking for an AGM battery for my 2009 335i. Would you have anything available? Also I’m in Wellington so would need to be shipped down to me.

What sort of price would I be looking at? 

I have just double checked, seems like the original in there still at the moment  

Thanks

0D332270-B7F1-4F6F-A2A5-1B9AE73FEAAC.jpeg

FWIW my 2008 335i came with this battery... https://superstart.net.nz/bosch-performance-din75l-730cca/ and it seems to do the job just fine. It is a calcium type and not a AGM type, but considering the price differential, if I ever need to replace the battery I will go with the same again.

Cheers...

Is anybody able to register my new AGM battery for me? I thought I could do this through MHD but from what I can see from YouTube need to use IMPA and my DECAN cable has decided to stop working. Wellington based if anyone can help out? 

1E5AE432-AFC8-4253-AE9F-C0746DA47B6F.jpeg

MHD has a "register battery" function listed under RESET ADAPTIONS. This is only useful if you are doing an exact 1 for 1 replacement with a new battery. Otherwise you will need to code changes to to the battery type and AH rating. 

Cheers...

44 minutes ago, jon dee said:

MHD has a "register battery" function listed under RESET ADAPTIONS. This is only useful if you are doing an exact 1 for 1 replacement with a new battery. Otherwise you will need to code changes to to the battery type and AH rating. 

Cheers...

Yes, that’s the issue I’m running into. As I’ve gone from standard lead acid to AGM. I have registered it with MHD but I wasn’t convinced it would have changed the type and ah rating. 
I thought it would have given me some options, but I guess not. 

I used Bimmercode to change the type/rating and then used MHD to register the battery. Don't know how kosher that is but it seemed to work OK for me. Beats dicking round with a laptop and that crazy inpa/insta stuff :)

Cheers...