Sign in to follow this  
Matth5

Sakhir Orange M4 - now an auction! - SOLD

Now sold

(old link removed)

I know my asking price might be considered high... to be honest I'm just checking if there is anyone really interested in it otherwise I'm taking it to Australia. 

In case anyone here is interested :)

Happy to answer questions ect in this thread as well. 

Relisted. Price lowered

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/m4/listing/3315088789?bof=8ksmBpsT

Relisted - now an auction. Even lower starting price at 60k
https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/listing/3357358051?bof=71RVdfKh

Edited by Matth5

It’s lovely, I’m not in the market for one (or any car worth more than $5000 in general), but, that doesn’t seem unreasonable when weighted against what’s happening back on 80’s and 90’s era delicacies.

• Like 1

Very nice, not many around in that colour - which looks so good.

Price is a reasonable starting point for negotiations.

I’ve always understood it is really difficult to get cars into Aussie (protecting the now defunct factories), but it would be hard to replace over there.

1 hour ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

I’ve always understood it is really difficult to get cars into Aussie (protecting the now defunct factories), but it would be hard to replace over there.

I've had to do a fair bit of reading up. It's straightforward-ish but you need to make sure you read up on the requirements. You can't just buy a car and take it over, you have to be moving to Aussie with the intent to live there, you have to have owned and used the car for at least one year ect.

The duties also make it very expensive. For my car, depending on how they value it, I'm looking at around 15-20k all up. Sounds crazy high, however the cars are also more expensive there. If I take that into account, plus the fact that I might not get a good price trying to sell it here, the fact that buying an unknown used car is a risk and I might have trouble finding my ideal spec at a good price... it still doesn't seem like a totally stupid idea to ship it :)

Their import laws do indeed make bugger-all sense now that they have no local car production. And some job it did at saving their car industry lol. But they seem to love their duties and taxes, as well as all kinds of laws and fines a hell of a lot more than Kiwis!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Matth5 said:

Sigh...

image.png.f03ba6d457c4bd61e30ca289d7864dad.png

🙄

‘Cash’ tho 🤣

mr nobody drinking too much mt difficulty wines it seems..

• Haha 1

I think that's called "testing the market...."

You'll never know if you don't ask the question!

Nothing unusual there... that's just an opening gambit.  Now you start haggling over the price :)

Cheers...

Most upsetting is parking an M4 at your house in Bannockburn and not availing yourself of the racetrack 5 mins down the road...

44 minutes ago, Blackie said:

Sellers start high, buyers start low

True, but making a low-ball offer before even seeing the car is almost offensive. Once you've seen and tested the car is the time to start negotiations, possibly an "are you flexible on price?" before you view.

Especially with a crock reason of "track-days will upset most purists"... i'ts an M car, not a Toyota Vitz, it's SUPPOSED to go on a track.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Especially with a crock reason of "track-days will upset most purists"... i'ts an M car, not a Toyota Vitz, it's SUPPOSED to go on a track.

If we might talk in generalisations for a moment... it would appear that not everyone who buys an expensive high performance car intends (or is capable of) exploiting its performance on a race track. Some people like to know that they have performance in reserve, some like the colour or styling, and some just like the prestige of owning a car that others can only dream of owning :)  

And not every person who aspires to own a performance car is born into money. Some have worked long and hard to get into that position, and to them bargaining over a purchase is a way of life. It has to be faced that basically no-one pays the sticker price for anything these days without asking for a discount or some kind of freeby. So disregarding a lowball offer may in fact mean that a seller has missed the opportunity to negotiate a sale.

Of course, some lowballers are simply dreamers and time wasters.... but you never know :D

Cheers...

PS: And let's have a little respect for the Vitz GR please !!!!!

Vitz GR.jpg

Edited by jon dee
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, jon dee said:

If we might talk in generalisations for a moment... it would appear that not everyone who buys an expensive high performance car intends (or is capable of) exploiting its performance on a race track. Some people like to know that they have performance in reserve, some like the colour or styling, and some just like the prestige of owning a car that others can only dream of owning :)  

And not every person who aspires to own a performance car is born into money. Some have worked long and hard to get into that position, and to them bargaining over a purchase is a way of life. It has to be faced that basically no-one pays the sticker price for anything these days without asking for a discount or some kind of freeby. So disregarding a lowball offer may in fact mean that a seller has missed the opportunity to negotiate a sale.

Of course, some lowballers are simply dreamers and time wasters.... but you never know :D

Cheers...

Yeah, I expected the track day question would come up so I figured I'd just make it clear from the start with the photos so anyone who has issues with track use can steer clear!

Besides, it still has a BMW warranty and they're fine with track use with the M cars. The dealer made it clear to me that track use is fine, but be careful with mods as any kind of tune is a big nono 😁

I don't hide anything. I've got plenty of footage too that I've been meaning to edit and put on Youtube. I timed my last 2 sessions on Sat, best lap time was 1:41.45 in cold slightly damp weather and GPS speed topped out at 215KPH. 
Although I'm pretty sure I've gotten close to 230kph on another day, and I probably have better laptimes in previous sessions with better weather 😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh and since you mentioned a GR... there was a Yaris GR on Sat lapping within one second of me. Those things are so much faster than you'd expect 😮 
On a previous trackday I had one managing to stay right on my tail for an entire session. 

• Like 1

Not bad for 1600cc and 3 cylinders  !!! WRC cars keep getting smaller and more agile. I think that is one place where race technology does indeed filter down (eventually) to the road cars sold to the general public. High performance will always command a price premium, but mass production keeps the premium down to a level where Joe Average can aspire to own a GR once used examples start hitting the market.

The BMW market seems to be much the same. Except that the starting point is higher and the smaller number of new BM's sold in NZ (compared to Germany or the USA for example) keeps the price of used examples higher.  Here it is not unusual to see a car with 90,000km on the clock advertised as "low mileage" as if that was a good thing. When in reality it means that it is approaching the point where maintenance costs are likely to rise steeply. That is often the point at which fleet cars are replaced and private owners trade up, so the less affluent buyer gets a chance to try his/her hand at used car roulette in the hope of getting a good one. That's my buy in point by the way :P  

The orange car is not in this category as it genuinely does not have a lot of kilometres on the clock and is still under factory warranty. The number of potential buyers for that car is limited, and there are a lot of other nice cars on offer in the asking price range. But you only need one BMW fanatic to be looking to trade up (from an M3 for example) to a later model, and WANT your car. Then it is just down to negotiating a deal that is acceptable to both parties. All you have to do is wait for that one buyer :) 

Cheers...

Edited by jon dee
Thinking out loud...
  • Like 2

Dropped asking price down to 80k, maybe this will get some more attention.

Although this guy is listing a 2017 M4 competition back with half the mileage at 82k or near offer...
https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/listing/3162659472?bof=LMYWmQmw

That's a damn good deal I have to admit, it's a UK import but at that milaege who cares 😮

Edited by Matth5

Yes but yours doesn't have a floppy, weighty sunroof so +$10k.

And I assume his (edit: her?) sunroof means a carbon fibre roof delete? Who'd do that? Especially in the UK?!?

Edited by M3AN

51 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Yes but yours doesn't have a floppy, weighty sunroof so +$10k.

And I assume his (edit: her?) sunroof means a carbon fibre roof delete? Who'd do that? Especially in the UK?!?

Oh I missed that 😮 Correct that means no CF roof and a bit less headroom.

You need the extra headroom when wearing a helmet on the track too.

• Haha 1

Listing is back up after being down for a while, since Auckland decided to have a covid outbreak and delay my plans 😶

Dropped the price - 75k now.