Sign in to follow this  
Cement

Front subframe triangle brace - Where do washers go ?

I'm fitting my E46 triangle front subframe brace back on and wondering where the 'circlip washers' are located (link below to see the washer I'm talking about). On realoem it looks like they go between the car body and the brace, and I can see witness marks on the body that supports this theory ... however it just seems a bit odd ? Makes more sense if they are designed to grip onto both parts and keep the brace stationary perhaps ?

Can't find any reference to installing the brace in the Bently service manual I have either 😕 Would be great to have a proper procedure to follow as I assume the car should be leveled out and sitting perfectly square if the brace is unable to move once installed.

Anyhoo ... just looking for some guidance from somebody who has experience with these things.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-retaining-ring-e46-31106757145

A good upgrade is to go to the later brace which was a big aluminum sheet. None of mine have had washers though.

5 minutes ago, zero said:

A good upgrade is to go to the later brace which was a big aluminum sheet. None of mine have had washers though.

Hmmm i tried to search this up to see if it was possible but could not find anybody outlining it. When i looked it seemed the aluminium brace needed bolt holes in the body i don't have ... looked like it had two bolts on the body next to the LCA bush ? Will try and find some more detailed pics online.