Sign in to follow this  
Driftit

E34 535is back up for sale

This is quite a nice example.

Would also take one of these over an E30 any day of the week.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/listing/3147659244?tm=email&et=45&mt=79F4475F-6C8D-4859-8EC2-79132A4FA124&bof=YSbSTjo4

• Like 2

I just about bought this car in 2002 when it was being sold by an owner in Forest Hill, North Sore, Auckland. It was mint back then - about 120,000 kms. The owner wanted $17,500 - which I thought was too high at the time. Despite that, it was a mint car. Boris Radich who was a Bimmersporter here bought it off the subsequent owner, 4-5 years later. Boris is a E34 enthusiast - and he went bonkers 'bringing back' an already mint example. One of the freaky cars that has had so much love bestowed upon it from previous custodians that it's appearance and condition belies it's relatively hefty mileage.

• Like 1

A very cool car.  My dad had a 535i back in the late 90s, it was good times.

I'd be tempted if I could sell my Maserati, but I suspect people with car money have already spent it post COVID so it may be a buyers market.

I also suspect that 535i is wanting more than I am willing to pay for it.  I'd have to buy the B5 RS4 which is only a little more money and a lot more fasts.

Edit: I f**king hate how people think trademe is a forum now.  The internet is such a cesspit.

Edited by GorGasm
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For a serious buyer, just one drive of this car, and your doubts will vanish while your wallet opens.  It’s a beaut.  

I followed it across the tops on the Gentle Annie a couple of years back, it’s composed, handles excellently, and the glorious noise from what is a docile car in town, is honey to any car lover.

Edited by Olaf
  • Like 1

man this thing is beautiful. big six with a 5 speed manual box, cant really complain!

• Like 1

Absolutely stunning car!

• Like 1

I would love it.  Having a mint example to go alongside my other 535is would be great.  I can't exactly drive the other one around on the street.  And the 525td is not really comparable other than being an E34.

I have seen it up close a few times down here.  Very nice car.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Driftit said:

I would love it.  Having a mint example to go alongside my other 535is would be great.  I can't exactly drive the other one around on the street.  And the 525td is not really comparable other than being an E34.

I have seen it up close a few times down here.  Very nice car.

Is it @Autoglym Barry’s car?

No.

I've owned mine for ten years now and have been tidying up the cosmetics the last couple of months to (hopefully) bring it close to the condition of this one.

Mine's just ticked over 350k but has been very well looked after for at least the last 20 years.

It still pulls like a train, gets plenty of attention and puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. Don't underestimate how good these cars are and how good they sound.

I wouldn't take mine out of the garage for any offer under $25k.

• Like 5

Amazing how prices have changed with all of these types of rare cars. I sold my 535is in 2003 for $10k and a  friend sold his with 200,000 kms in 2005 for $3.5k - and it was tidy! 

Edited by ssbmw

Indeed, MKII Jaguars used to be $2k with a couple of bodies and engines for spares, and we used to buy VW Beetles or Split-screen Kombis for under a grand.  

Supply has diminished and demand has increased; nostalgia burrows its way into bank accounts and slush funds with remarkable fluidity. 😉

This is a good thing I reckon.  Desirability keeps these models alive.  The Allegro is an obvious exception. 😁 

• Like 1

My 535is has 340k on the clock and I paid 7k for it in February. Granted it still has a ways to go before it mint but I'm hoping I got lucky.

It's a while away.  But early next year I will keep eyes open for another one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, E28E30 said:

Is it @Autoglym Barry’s car?

That is most strange. Or is it coincidence that the car is being marketed by barryn63, also selling Autoglym products on TradeMe?

• Thanks 1

He will be selling it on behalf I would say.  Last time I ran into this car he was driving it.

1 hour ago, Bandit said:

That is most strange. Or is it coincidence that the car is being marketed by barryn63, also selling Autoglym products on TradeMe?

Yes, you are right, I am selling on behalf, the owner is flat out running his business, I also sold it to him, I know the car very well

If I didnt have an immaculate E28 M535i in my stable, I would own this car!!, Its that good!!

IMG_3834.JPG

• Like 7

Wow!!! Awesome car

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top

I see this 535i around fairly regularly, and its gorgeous. Totally agree that its a far better buy than an E30 (yes, i know they're two different classes of car).

The only thing that lets it down in the photos is the peeling valve cover. A shame considering how tidy the rest is.

Edited by KwS

I'll donate a proper shape is badge if anyone on here buys it!

• Like 1

When I first saw the car it sat on 17" Schnitzer - type 1's. Looked grouse.

I still remember my 535is having a fabulous sounding stereo -even if it was just a factory radio /cassette head unit. Epic sound. Much better than the M-audio in my E39 M5. M for 'meh.'

On 6/24/2021 at 9:19 AM, GorGasm said:

Edit: I f**king hate how people think trademe is a forum now.  The internet is such a cesspit.

Trademe is a forum of sorts - comments / opinions appear to be freely permitted (but can be removed on request). I don't think you can honestly dictate people where to share their opinion and where not to - if the media allows it. This forum at times is not immune from being a cesspit either. I can link some threads here waaay worse than anything ever seen on trademe.

• Like 2

One man's cesspit is another man's hot tub :) The internet has something for everyone !!! 

Cheers...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Blackie said:

Trademe is a forum of sorts - comments / opinions appear to be freely permitted (but can be removed on request). I don't think you can honestly dictate people where to share their opinion and where not to - if the media allows it. This forum at times is not immune from being a cesspit either. I can link some threads here waaay worse than anything ever seen on trademe.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.  It's like Tom Waits' measure of a Gentleman.  "A Gentleman knows how to play the piano accordion.  But doesn't."

• Like 3