Sign in to follow this  
Driftit

E34 535is back up for sale

37 minutes ago, Olaf said:

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.  It's like Tom Waits' measure of a Gentleman.  "A Gentleman knows how to play the piano accordion.  But doesn't."

But I could say the same of posts on here too. I know I've made some comments that didn't go down well like I had planned 😅

• Like 1

Exactly.  Trademe is a buy/sell website for buying and selling.  If you aren't doing those things then there's no need to comment on the listing.

21 minutes ago, Blackie said:

But I could say the same of posts on here too. I know I've made some comments that didn't go down well like I had planned 😅

But that's what a forum is for, discussion!  Trademe is not a forum.

Edited by GorGasm
  • Like 3

Allowing q&a on classifieds was one of their stupider decisions. Never used to have that and were forced to contact the seller to ask, which ruled out the time wasters to a degree

40 minutes ago, KwS said:

Allowing q&a on classifieds was one of their stupider decisions. Never used to have that and were forced to contact the seller to ask, which ruled out the time wasters to a degree

The seller has the option of NOT answering  questions so that the question does not appear on the listing. Thus if the Q&A becomes a mess it is really because the seller does not simply ignore irrelevant questions or comments. I think it was Confucius who said... "Don't feed the Trolls.". 

Or better yet, from Mark Twain... "Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.".

Cheers...

Edited by jon dee
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, jon dee said:

The seller has the option of NOT answering  questions so that the question does not appear on the listing. Thus if the Q&A becomes a mess it is really because the seller does not simply ignore irrelevant questions or comments. I think it was Confucius who said... "Don't feed the Trolls.". 

Or better yet, from Mark Twain... "Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.".

Cheers...

Doesn't stop the trolls trying to discourage buyers by talking sh*t, like voicing their (uneducated) opinion on the asking price. 

Ahhh.... yusss. I was referring to TradeMe listings, not to forum posts. Forum posts are an open invitation to trolls. On forums the only available remedy is for an admin to step in when things get out of hand. Trolls obtain their gratification by sparking an angry reaction to their baiting. The best thing to do is ignore them (which may enrage the troll and make him/her appear even more stupid) or thank them for their opinion, and thereby deprive them of gaining satisfaction for their efforts.

Parliament is Troll Central but they seldom come to blows, as when trolling becomes a way of life it loses its effect. I'm going to miss Winston :P

Cheers...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GorGasm said:

Trademe is not a forum.

Trademe allows comments, questions, compliments, trolling. It's a feature. If you don't think that's right you should let them know. Personally I just shut my account with them (for many reasons) 😆

Comments questions increase page hits which increase ad revenue for trade me. It's all about the $$

• Like 2

Just as well it's not listed here, eh?  Look how this has degenerated into a thread pontificating on what can be said on TradeMe (meta discussion), or on here (more meta discussion).   Awesome car, who's going to buy it?

As for not being able to actually ask a question on an on-line listing?  Yep, limit one's ability to probe the veracity of the listing before committing to buy and being legally bound to do so.  Great idea.  Not.  Imagine:  "it's not what you said it was"
"it's a 3.42 diff.  it's black"
"yes but you didn't say it's broken"
"I didn't say it wasn't.  Look, you could have asked"
"How?  they switched that feature off!"
"you bid, you won, now pay up".

Unpopular Opinion: I haha react cars I find too expensive on Facebook.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

that'll tell them.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

Comments questions increase page hits which increase ad revenue for trade me. It's all about the $$

This is true and it works 

1 hour ago, Olaf said:

Just as well it's not listed here, eh?  Look how this has degenerated into a thread pontificating on what can be ..

Plenty of stuff listed here gets slagged. Depends on who lists it and how tight with the 'community' they are...

Edit: I personally like the threads where it gets slagged until the seller pops up as a member, then the opinion changes 😆

Edited by Blackie
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Blackie said:

Plenty of stuff listed here gets slagged. Depends on who lists it and how tight with the 'community' they are...

This is right. There's a whole thread with like 7 pages dedicated to overpriced e30s...

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Simca said:

This is right. There's a whole thread with like 7 pages dedicated to overpriced e30s...

I keep going into that thread just for a laugh at the heaps of crap people think are worth squillions of dollars.

Very nice, certainly has potential with some extra time spend on little things, engine cover paint for instance. 

That steering wheel seems weirdly thick though?

Also because I've been staring at leather seats all week, those are way too shinny, definitely need a good clean and condition

• Like 2

Just read the actual copy of the advert. Pretty bold statement -'best E34 in NZ.' What about the 3.8 E34 M5 in violet that sold 6-12 months ago on trademe, or the 60,000km 3.6 M5 in Sterling grey, now owned by Boris Radich, not to mention the Hell red 540is 6-speed that lives in Auckland with anecdotally only 20,000 kms on the clock (or some of the  lovely examples of 540is's still lurking about)?

I agree this is a very special car and is arguably the best E34 535is in NZ by virtue of its condition and provenance. I actually like the way the advert reads. However, not sure I would write 'best E34 in NZ.' 

• Like 2

Sorry Olaf, I understand what you mean - but I still still think that statement - " you have been searching for the best E34 in NZ" possibly could be interpreted that that this car is in fact the best E34 in NZ.

Either way, I didn't mean to upset anyone - I have known about this car for nigh on 20 years, and have been a huge advocate of the vehicle whenever it has appeared for sale over the last several years (and it has been discussed many times on this forum). 

Sorry if people took umbrage to my comment - however I will say that there are some other wonderful E34's in NZ too.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

What's in the water in Wellington? You're all constantly at each others throats.

• Like 1

I live in San Francisco. 😀 Probably deserve the crap - living away from NZ! 

Edited by ssbmw

18 minutes ago, Michael. said:

What just happened. 

Grumpy boomers woke up and found their metamucil had run out.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

35 minutes ago, Michael. said:

What just happened. 

Thread went way off topic and got out of control, so it’s been tidied up a bit. 

Disagree with the point fine, but argue against that, not the person posting please.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2021 at 11:33 AM, leichtbau said:

What's in the water in Wellington? You're all constantly at each others throats.

We're going stir crazy :( Four days at Level 2 is enough to drive a man to the edge of insanity !!! Hopefully we will all be back to our usual happy, caring selves on Monday.

EDIT: AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Two more days !!! I can feel the anger returning... mother, fetch the metamucil, I need to vent :argggg-min:

Cheers...

Edited by jon dee
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 6/27/2021 at 11:56 AM, leichtbau said:

Grumpy boomers woke up and found their metamucil had run out.

Eh ….. Gen x I think you’ll find. Responsible for bringing up Gen Z aka the smart ones unlike previous generations 😎