Sign in to follow this  
CoffeeMug

M52 - M20 gearbox?

Does anyone know the fitment of a M20 gearbox to a M52b25? Car in question is an E36 323i

I've tried searching and I'm sure that its been discussed a lot before however the general consensus from what I have seen online is that an M20 will bolt up to an M52 however will need to have custom mounts made due it it sitting on an angle? I am unsure whether my current clutch or driveshaft would fit. 

Reason for M20 box (please correct me if I'm wrong {probably am}) is that there seem to be a lot more of them around and they are a lot cheaper than E36 box's which are slightly different? from my understanding.

I very much appreciate any responses on here as my current box G220 (If I've identified it correctly) has decided it doesn't really want to be a gearbox anymore and the only box's (or rebuild cost) I have seen is $3500 and up. 

You should be able to pick up a G220 for around 4-500 all day long

M20 bellhousing is the same, but as you say mounting angle is on the wees 

D/shaft won't work either. 

Clutch will be okay unless you have a 240mm one due to internal clearance, I think, but don't quote me on that

Your shifter will sit on the piss too

• Like 1

Hm okay I for some reason was under the belief that it was the mounts for the gearbox that would be crooked however now realise that its the engine "angle" that would twist the whole gearbox. 

Do you know anywhere I could find a G220? I've been searching TM and FB Marketplace but haven't been able to find any other than whole conversions in unknown condition for around 2k

Thankyou though, I appreciate the reply 

Jump on ebay, ship over 5 from the UK and make some money to pay for the rebuild

There's someone selling a whole conversion for 900 on the E30 FB page