Sign in to follow this  
Herbmiester

Reality is a bit sad.

Haha, why does it even matter what is faster. An M5 E60 is a fast car by any standard, especially for a road car, way more than most people can handle. 

If we think a little outside the video topic, a 325i E30 for example would get thrashed by most BMWs cars, but it's one of BMWs most iconic models loved by so many. Looks, style, engine sound, simplicity, driving experience, history, the list goes on.

There is so much more to a car than just straight line performance.

Furthermore these new age BMWs have electronic telemetry that tracks GPS location, steering inputs, brake application and speeds that can paint a picture of your driving style, so if a situational arises insurance/police can use that data against you too, makes having such a fast car like a 440i seem nonsensical in this age of big brother. Read the fine print of these new incar data systems, it's really quite startling how much data the manufactures are collating from every parameter of the car. 

• Like 1

I will be quite happy watching a 440i go past from the driver's seat of my M5, but I suspect that if the example in that video was in as new condition the gap would be a lot smaller, try it again when the 440i has 100k on the odometer! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, balancerider said:

Unpopular opinion coming up but the M340 sounds better to my ears. Still way rather have the M5 though

B58 is a huge improvement over the N55/S55 noise for sure.

13.6 second 1/4 for the m5 shows it was in p400 or shagged. Should manage mid 12s. 
12.2 seconds for the 440i is a sharp time. 

My take on this is that what was at one time the best sports saloon in the world with a 500 HP V10 is showing its age. I do love them and the point of the video, as you can see by the title, was not to degrade the old girl. The point is our future does look pretty awesome when an M-Lite's can nearly break into the 11's (Probably can with a tune), we are going to have some very fast used cars in 5 years or so. I do note that when I read tests on the E60 M5 the 1/4 mile times were closer to 13 flat, especially in the Aussie mags. I realise we now have 4wd and awesome gearboxes and that purists dont always like either of them but it does make them easier for the average driver (AKA most of us). 

• Like 1

I think the only logical thing to do is take mine down a quarter mile and see if they are all shagged at this age or if that one is particularly sad!! ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/30/2021 at 7:12 PM, andrewm said:

13.6 second 1/4 for the m5 shows it was in p400 or shagged. Should manage mid 12s. 
12.2 seconds for the 440i is a sharp time. 

Mid 12's would be tough to get on an E60 M5.  They are aren't that great out of the starting box.  They only fly once you hit 5krpm.

I'm looking at newer S3s at the moment which can get into the 12's stock.

Is it just me or does anyone else not like Carwow videos?
All they seem to do is drag races.  Zero care for drag racing.

• Like 3

I just watch AutotopNL

5 hours ago, Driftit said:

Is it just me or does anyone else not like Carwow videos?
All they seem to do is drag races.  Zero care for drag racing.

I like to watch the 15 seconds or so where the timed 1/4 mile occurs. The other 9 minutes 45 just gets skipped.