Sign in to follow this  
leichtbau

G42 2 Series Coupe

Agree - that is such a cool colour. Its up there with Technoviolet 😁 (and thats a compliment in my book!)

• Like 2

I think it’s a hot looking car, love the flat bonnet bulge, but wonder do I like it just because the recent offerings have been so minging? It proves a subtle front and tidy grille can look good?

• Like 1

Love the colour but not it’s name, shape looks great in the photos, can’t wait to see it in the metal.

The back end looks a little “busy” from some angles so again will be interested to see what it’s like for real.

Heinous but a cool colour.

Maybe it will look good in a few years -or in the flesh - as much as we like to talk crap about these new designs, they are made by professionals who 'know what they are doing' .

Taillights sit way too low and headlights sit too high to my eyes.

Weird.

And i could probably live with that grill too. Much better than the current offering…

to me it looks like a weird mix between an GT-R35 and a GT86..

dont understand the front triangles and why the kidney grill slats are wavy..

Looks good in profile, but front and back look like a depressed angry pokemon.

Looks like an overall cheaper/budget car compared to the previous version :/

Please let the M2 look good...

GT86/BRZ rear lights are a bit meh.

Not bad. The 2 is the just right size for a driving focused coupe IMV. I would prefer the M2 over the 3's and 4's.

I think what we're mainly seeing is the requirement to keep the waistline quite high to meet safety regulations. Note the where the A pillar and C pillars start. Mirrors and flared rear haunches are a highlight for me.

There is something off with that rear end, the tail lights are too small or the exhaust cut outs are too big or is it the diffuser coming too far up the rear bumper. Maybe it's a combination of all 3?

Does it have 5G capability to report your location and speed back to BMW? 

1 hour ago, Michael. said:

Does it have 5G capability to report your location and speed back to BMW? 

I'm sure they've been logging that long before, although it's probably just recorded locally in the car.

My M4 is connected to the cellphone network and I can use an app to check its location, lock/unlock, start the aircon, flash the lights. I imagine the newer ones have more features...

1 minute ago, Matth5 said:

I'm sure they've been logging that long before, although it's probably just recorded locally in the car.

My M4 is connected to the cellphone network and I can use an app to check its location, lock/unlock, start the aircon, flash the lights. I imagine the newer ones have more features...

It's interesting reading the fine print that represents these connectivity systems within cars. It can be a buyer beware situation. In most cases no one will care about it, but it can become an issue between law matters and insurance claims, particularly so if it's a situation you were naughty and the data is to be extracted and examined, things are likely not going to be in your favor. The fine print states they will pass it on in such circumstances. Hardly surprising though, things were always heading this way. It's not as wide spread in NZ just yet but been in practice in Euro, USA, Japan to name a few places. 

Lots of data has been logged in the various computer systems of cars for many, many years. There have been a number of occasions I can recall where that info has been passed to the NZ police.

33 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Lots of data has been logged in the various computer systems of cars for many, many years. There have been a number of occasions I can recall where that info has been passed to the NZ police.

Information sharing agreement or warrant?

Not directly responsible so can’t say for certain.

If that information was shared without your knowledge then that's an easy lawsuit win. The only person who would likely sign this information away would be the first owner. Where a contract with the manufacturer would be signed.

Colour is awesome, but the rear end looks like it was styled but a completely different person to the rest of the car. Not to mention it suffers the same issue as the M3/4 with the rear guards making the rear wheels look tiny. I dont know if thats something that we will need to get used to in the future, or if BMW designers just cant work out how to not make it look bad.

The front end treatment is so much better than the M3/4 but there is still something off about it to me; I think its the sharp triangular grilles, they look out of place on an otherwise quite rounded car. B- Not offensive, but far from BMWs best.

1 hour ago, Driftit said:

If that information was shared without your knowledge then that's an easy lawsuit win. 

The Connected Drive data that is shared with the car is AFAIK not stored anywhere, it is live and can be accessed, but I don’t think stored. This has been used to ping a stolen car and get it recovered a number of times.

In terms of the police pulling info from your car, I think that is covered under the investigation of an accident. In the same way a car can be taken away and checked physically? Again not my area of expertise so not 100%

2 hours ago, Driftit said:

The only person who would likely sign this information away would be the first owner. Where a contract with the manufacturer would be signed.

A Connected Drive account linked to the car is set up with the first owner, this is then transferred to subsequent owners, if desired. The rules around the use of any info are very tight, and super cautious around the privacy of personal data.

It's quite funny, I bought my G20 3 series about a year ago and even now everytime I get a software update and ask the car to take me 'home' it tries to navigate me to what I'm assuming is the home address of the bmw employee who drove the car before I purchased it. Regardless of how many times I reset my connected drive account and reset the home address to mine. There's obviously limits to the privacy of personal data I guess 😂. Other than that, I absolutely love i-drive 7 and the features available with the new Connected Drive.

• Like 1