Sign in to follow this  
gjm

BMWs electric cars

It is generally unknown that BMW began their electric journey in 1972 with the 1602e, or BMW 1602 Elektro-Antrieb. It had a 32kW electric motor giving it a reportedly 100 km/h top speed. It remains (currently) unique by being a front engine (motor), rear wheel drive car.

image.png.0064c360e22649367ec10710c4d4371d.png

1972 BMW 1602e

Since then, there have been a string of bleeding-edge cars from BMW, with many models having a (research, at least) electric or hydrogen version.

image.png.0bc84801bbcb444f9e89478c831a30a6.png

Wow those batteries look to be in great condition considering they are 49 years old! Jk. 

The car line-up at the bottom is a bit out of date now, with the sudden explosion of the whole EV market, but the line up and history is impressive.

As I understand it the initial fleet of 1602e were specially introduced for the Munich Olympics to move the athletes and officials around.

Same for the first electric MINI models that I think was around the London Olympics in 2012.

I would drive a modernised 2002 EV.  I liked that Honda E.  But I am not paying $65k for one.  A BMW however.