Sign in to follow this  
C-130 Hercules

Wild Weather

Crazy weather all around the globe at the moment. Here is a clip from the recent devastating floods in Germany. It is in the region close to the Nürburgring. Mind boggling. 

• Sad 1

Yup. 150kph gusts here in Gladstone.  Shaking the house.  Sheep have all decided it is a great time to have their lambs.

Had to go and strap our water tank down in Featherston so I didn't have to collect it from the neighbors.

And my sisters Vineyard in the Wairau Valley flooded pretty badly.  A lot of damage.  Lucky not to the vines or house.

tis but a scratch in the hutt valley

Good economic stimulus I guess. Mother nature will always keep us little people busy. 

5 hours ago, C-130 Hercules said:

Hope things are on the up for you guys @Driftit

Cheers.  Turns out my neighbours in Featherston who are building their house had their roof blow off on Sunday morning.

Freak wind gust of over 170kph ripped it to bits.  Roof landed right where my house would be if it was there.  It then took off again and hit another neighbours house about 200m away.
Fire crew said they have not had wind that strong there for a good 15 years.

• Sad 1

On 7/18/2021 at 7:09 PM, Driftit said:

And my sisters Vineyard in the Wairau Valley flooded pretty badly.  A lot of damage.  Lucky not to the vines or house.

That sounds like a great place for a bimmer meet. Got space for tents? 😀

On 7/19/2021 at 11:55 AM, Driftit said:

Cheers.  Turns out my neighbours in Featherston who are building their house had their roof blow off on Sunday morning.

Freak wind gust of over 170kph ripped it to bits.  Roof landed right where my house would be if it was there.  It then took off again and hit another neighbours house about 200m away.
Fire crew said they have not had wind that strong there for a good 15 years.

A house I pass on my neighbourhood walks has been in the wars again, from the same storm you mentioned.  It has northerly exposure on a hill above the harbour (though is only shrouded from Southerly by neighbouring houses).  Those of you in the know will recognise that wind accelerates when it finds a hill.  The house in question is around 20 or 25 years old, a former leaky home, having been sold off cheap about ten years ago, re-clad and remediated, and sold again.  Now it's had the leading edge of it's second story - north-facing - curved roof peeled back like a sardine tin and folded over, about three metres worth.  It's currently open to the moon, stars, and rain, with the peeled-back roof strapped down with large ratchet straps on both sides to prevent more roof being lost.  

616DDCF3-F78C-4851-8EBA-75B70510001E.thumb.jpeg.880336d8c3b3a80d63a1b0a115b0f478.jpeg

8B93617C-CBD7-4E07-89C6-18925A569575.thumb.jpeg.1cbdf1e52861724e041c6a61c3541bac.jpeg

311F79CC-E291-4810-B557-F518217C33CF.thumb.jpeg.b5b2f90488d33427694135b2d3f5e6ca.jpeg

Our house is pretty solid, though when that storm turned south, I has being shaken in my seat in our top story as the wind battered our house (we're exposed to the south, very close to Zone 5' design area.  The winds swung around my solidly-mounted 6E Yagi FM antenna that's previously survived twenty years of storms of up to 170 km/h unscathed.  It would not surprise me to learn we'd approached 200 during that recent storm.

Edited by Olaf
Added pics