Sign in to follow this  
cleanish_e46

Mo

I'll avoid turning this thread into a mental health journal, but I have not had a good time recently!

The missus convinced me to go to hospital last week, a place I stubbornly avoid. I ended up staying for a while... 

Long story short, I had to have surgery to remove my gallbladder, and I was diagnosed with type one diabetes. I've been feeling less than well for years, but recently it really ramped up with severe pain in my side. I'd been to my doctor, had all sorts of scans and tests, and it was chalked down to chronic back pain. I was always pumped full of painkillers and sent home, not good for the physical or mental health once they wear off.

I'd actually quit my job as a builder, stopped playing sport, stopped surfing, and was worried I'd have to stop working on cars because everything was just getting too painful to do. It basically felt like I couldn't do any of the things I'd worked hard towards and the things I loved doing anymore.

The diabetes thing, well, the doctor said I'd put up a hell of a fight and done well to avoid a coma with the blood sugar level I came in with, but my body had just given up, but it can all be managed well now. 

I'm actually relieved to have a diagnosis, and since the surgery my back pain has all but gone. It's honestly gave me so much hope. It's a six week recovery, with the first two doing very little, something I'm not great at. While I was laid up in bed I came across SOUP Classic Motoring on Youtube:

Might be of interest to folk. It's really kept me going, and I'm looking forward to getting back in the shed when I can.

The reason I've posted this here is that I've had a lot of support from communities of like-minded folk like Bimmersport, and I just want to thank the people that have reached out, offered to help and everything else. Hopefully I can get Mo on the road for Summer, not much left to do there, and then turn my attention to saving the 325i. Bit to do on that one! 

Josh

• Like 11

I have type 2 - have to manage it but my doctor caught it early. Too much stress at work plus cakes every week (failing project needing support) did it for me. I'm now classed as pre-diabetic, and retiring has really made a difference. Keep on going!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cleanish_e46 said:

I'll avoid turning this thread into a mental health journal, but I have not had a good time recently!

The missus convinced me to go to hospital last week, a place I stubbornly avoid. I ended up staying for a while... 

Long story short, I had to have surgery to remove my gallbladder, and I was diagnosed with type one diabetes. I've been feeling less than well for years, but recently it really ramped up with severe pain in my side. I'd been to my doctor, had all sorts of scans and tests, and it was chalked down to chronic back pain. I was always pumped full of painkillers and sent home, not good for the physical or mental health once they wear off.

I'd actually quit my job as a builder, stopped playing sport, stopped surfing, and was worried I'd have to stop working on cars because everything was just getting too painful to do. It basically felt like I couldn't do any of the things I'd worked hard towards and the things I loved doing anymore.

The diabetes thing, well, the doctor said I'd put up a hell of a fight and done well to avoid a coma with the blood sugar level I came in with, but my body had just given up, but it can all be managed well now. 

[snip]

The reason I've posted this here is that I've had a lot of support from communities of like-minded folk like Bimmersport, and I just want to thank the people that have reached out, offered to help and everything else. Hopefully I can get Mo on the road for Summer, not much left to do there, and then turn my attention to saving the 325i. Bit to do on that one! 

Josh

Sounds like you need to find a new GP, *stat*.   Part of your new health journey.  From your description, it sounds like they'd not been listening, for quite some time.

Good luck with your journey.  Much of this life can be filled with things you didn't expect to happen; don't let it twist you outa shape, remember that we're lucky to have the opportunity to make changes necessary!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jom said:

I have type 2 - have to manage it but my doctor caught it early. Too much stress at work plus cakes every week (failing project needing support) did it for me. I'm now classed as pre-diabetic, and retiring has really made a difference. Keep on going!

That's great that you're on top of it Jo, good on you and thanks for the support.

13 hours ago, Olaf said:

Sounds like you need to find a new GP, *stat*.   Part of your new health journey.  From your description, it sounds like they'd not been listening, for quite some time.

Good luck with your journey.  Much of this life can be filled with things you didn't expect to happen; don't let it twist you outa shape, remember that we're lucky to have the opportunity to make changes necessary!

I actually recently changed GP and she's a much better listener, but yeah, frustrating to say the least.

Sound advice Olaf!

• Thanks 1

I got a little bit more done tonight while juggling the house reno’ and baby.

081C36ED-EF6D-40A1-A4E0-73D306427EF6.thumb.jpeg.7155ac4c5532c4122b1679a5767eed5f.jpeg

Installed the new valve stem oil seals, valves and springs next. Going to try and stick to this little and often approach as I recover!  

• Like 1

I’ve checked the re-ground valves are sealing properly by tipping a spoonful of fuel down each port. There are no leaks underneath so on to the camshaft. 

I had to make something to stop the camshaft spinning while I removed the bolt. 

20B7868F-9895-45F2-BEF8-D9639001C578.thumb.jpeg.b29e1bb7e0a58b501eaa2aab07d5be3e.jpeg

D6048813-88E6-4EE9-9CD2-79BE509405EF.thumb.jpeg.45cd5400afd8ad92925f69378e6359dd.jpeg

Does the job. I’m ready to replace the camshaft end seal and o-ring, the latter appears self-explanatory, but the Bentley service manual mentions, “a service press or it’s equivalent should be used to remove the old seal (I just set it on blocks and drove it out of the retainer with a mallet and flathead screwdriver), and to install the new seal.”

I don’t have a press so I’m all ears if you’ve found a way that works? 

I’ve replaced the rockers and rocker shafts.

9210AC89-4981-4DAD-8FFF-396940F878A0.thumb.jpeg.20c9121f2bd5cc61e7cc301957903673.jpeg

I’ve reinstalled the rocker retaining clips and the  retaining plate.

E0AD69FF-3CAB-4978-AE82-C95AFF93DA25.thumb.jpeg.6bc30af5575eb77b56d916f2e0e36d9d.jpeg

The notches for the retaining plate are lined up and I’ve tapped it in as far as it will go, but the plate is proud of the top of the head…

F5D4E23C-51DE-4FDA-B45D-8185420893A3.thumb.jpeg.674a44440b36eb2f191e80b3311ea788.jpeg

… which means the rocker cover doesn’t sit flush. 

What should I do / have I done wrong?

Never seen those black rings around the rocker shafts before.  Are they supposed to be there?  If they're not, your retaining plate will come down.

Cheers for the advice on the above @BMTHUG

238E3EB8-FE6E-4700-8FAC-FB36F22FE38E.thumb.jpeg.aa01b96e24c1de9323d86dee5d46ffc8.jpeg

Oil spray bar and camshaft sprocket back on. Just the valve clearances to adjust and I can close the lid on this bit.

Edited by cleanish_e46

Did you work out what was up with the retaining plate?

On 12/2/2021 at 9:42 PM, KwS said:

Did you work out what was up with the retaining plate?

No. Checked it against another M20 and it was the same on that so figured it’s not an issue. Everything has been put back together correctly but there’s no way of getting the plate any lower as it’s sat on the rocker shafts. 

Adjusted the valve clearances. Spark plugs are in. Exhaust manifold and rocker cover studs are also in. Need to track down some inlet manifold studs as my go to guy doesn’t have any in stock. Is there anywhere anyone would recommend?

Started to give the manifolds a clean up this afternoon, the fuel injectors took some pulling out! 

Is it easier to fix the exhaust and intake manifolds to the head while it’s out of the car, and then just lift it all on together before bolting the head back on to the block? 

Cheers. 

F7359373-A0C1-4152-9C55-5C7DAF5CF43A.thumb.jpeg.b670f3965631685d82e683359962e144.jpeg

• Like 1

Finding the odd hour for this when the baby is asleep.

7818A3FC-916E-473D-AA8C-1DD96F4EF112.thumb.jpeg.559823281e93112a54e84c223d81703f.jpeg

Plan is to fix the intake and exhaust manifolds  to the head while it's out of the car and just bolt it all back down together.

Hopefully the fuel injectors work well and just need the seals replacing. 

Update on Mo.

928F7F2B-43EE-4740-8616-81DE51D9E934.thumb.JPG.b68f6a12931f89f01abec44ce6130ac3.JPG

With a new addition to the family, health issues, house renovation, loss of storage and a wedding to pay for I had to make the unfortunate decision to sell. It went, complete with most of what is required to finish, to a young fella who is planning to see the project through with his little brother. This is the first project I haven't finished and it doesn't feel good, but family first. 

CA090D03-47AC-465D-A82E-A295A9E01C53.thumb.JPG.2be8cb3badf59cd58221949ad5b57a48.JPG

I had fun rebuilding the M20, achieved many firsts for me, lessons were learned and tools were aqcuired for use on future projects. 

Speaking of future projects, I still have the 'donor' car.

Bronzit Beige 1988 E30 325i

Complete car, rust in typical areas. New Zealand new, factory manual. Starts first time, runs well and brakes work. 248,380 kilometres, drives well but overdue for a replacement cambelt (previously done on 16.03.2009 at 225,800 kilometres) and a service. Service history from new until 26.05.2010 at 238,676 kilometres. Factory apart from lowered springs, but have a set of factory springs. Registration is on hold and last WoF expired 18.08.2018 so is in need of a bit of a birthday. 

Our renovation had thrown up a potential spanner in works, but after meeting with the engineer today, the house doesn't rquire the E30 piggy bank. 

I've had a look underneath and the plan for the forseeable future is:

• Tackle rust
  • Replace cambelt etc
  • Service
  • WoF and rego
  • Drive it
  • Improve it

JB08100_JB08100-R1-E024.thumb.jpeg.acf55d2f52bce768915bfa787f72b8f2.jpeg

• Like 4