Sign in to follow this  
Twistee

Got pulled over in the M5 :D

And not for speeding! I took my daughter to the shops to get a  birthday present for a friend tonight, as we plan so well and the kids party is tomorrow morning... After grabbing some overpriced lego we were crawling out of the empty carpark and I see the Police cruiser behind me, next minute on come the red and blues. Officer comes over looking all confused because my drivers license which was issued in Pukekohe somehow has my inlaws address attached to it from the other side of town from more than a decade ago - yet the LTSA mailed me the license to my current address of the past 12 years?!?!? Basically he was checking out why a car from the other side of town according to my license was in Pukekohe on a Saturday night. And when asked how do I fix this ----- he had no idea other than maybe try LTSA, so I guess I'll try LTSA. 

Sorry not an exciting tale, but it made me laugh :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So you’re not allowed to go away from your home address? And he gleaned all of this from running your rego and then a drivers licence check in a private car park?

Apparently so.... Because there's no such thing as a successful person in Pukekohe so I must have stolen the car. If I had stolen an M5 I don't think I would be going shopping. 

Maybe get a Tiida for shopping?

1 hour ago, Twistee said:

Apparently so.... Because there's no such thing as a successful person in Pukekohe so I must have stolen the car. If I had stolen an M5 I don't think I would be going shopping. 

Hmm, I take mine to Whangarei regularly, I should probably expect to get pulled over for the same reason!! ;)

• Like 1

Had that happen heaps with the license having the wrong address associated to it, but mail from LTSA getting sent to correct address. Gave up trying to get it sorted, neither side LTSA ( or whatever ever they have decided to call them selves this month) or cops interested in fixing it.

Edited by polley

6 hours ago, balancerider said:

@Palazzo it'd pay for itself in saved fuel after a week or so.

Probably a few days if you factor in no money spent on maintenance. 
Then again maybe insurance is high as thieves favourite?

Got pulled over many years ago and the cop brought this up. Threatened to ticket me for it as is considered an offence to have the incorrect address according to him.

You change it by getting a new licence from VTNZ or the like, circa $50. When i got my 10 year renewal i ticked not to display an address. New licence came in the post. Old address still on it and another $50 to change it. Haven't bothered.

I don’t have my address on for this reason.

But, I think this is total bs that they say they can pull you over or ticket you for it. The reasoning in this case is you were away from home.

So, if I drive to Wellington to see my dad I can expect to be pulled over for being out of area? 

A civil liberties lawyer would have a field day if that case ever went to court for anything discovered under the “stop”.

I don't have my address on my license either. Its when you get pulled up, they ask your address and they check it in their system and it does not match they seem to get upset.

We gave away many more rights than they told us we would when they introduced 'no cause' stops...

https://communitylaw.org.nz/community-law-manual/chapter-32-driving-and-traffic-law/enforcement-powers-of-police-and-parking-wardens/police-their-traffic-enforcement-powers/

Note that the enforcement powers apply to anyone in the vehicle, not just the driver.

3 hours ago, BrettVW said:

Got pulled over many years ago and the cop brought this up. Threatened to ticket me for it as is considered an offence to have the incorrect address according to him.

You change it by getting a new licence from VTNZ or the like, circa $50. When i got my 10 year renewal i ticked not to display an address. New licence came in the post. Old address still on it and another $50 to change it. Haven't bothered.

I managed to change it at no cost via the LTSA website. 

1 hour ago, polley said:

I don't have my address on my license either. Its when you get pulled up, they ask your address and they check it in their system and it does not match they seem to get upset.

I don't either and this is not the first time I have been pulled over - but this is the first time I have had someone give me grief about my postal and physical address. 

When my wife got her Cayenne a few years ago.  One of the first things she did was drive to the grocery with my parents.  A police car picked up the Cayenne plate number near the grocery, my wife didn't really think it was them.  So she continued to drive all the way and parked on the disability parking.  Police car followed them all the way through and parked behind them.

They where a bit shocked that the Police chased them through.  My wife had a conversation with them, apparently the Cayenne has several bad records from the previous owners in Auckland.  The officer double checked everything and apologized.  They also updated their data to reflect the change of ownership.  I guess my wife's story is a bit believable, also there are 2 old folks ridding in the car :D. Of course back when my parents where younger they can really weave into the traffic of Manila.  Also I remember back in the 1980s my dad would drive an Opel Manta 2x the legal driving limit... not that this is enforced in our country :rolleyes:

• Confused 1

Wait, were the lights and sirens on and she just kept driving?

Not sure what to make about parking in a disability spot, or how that's relevant, I assume she has a mobility card.

1 minute ago, M3AN said:

Wait, were the lights and sirens on and she just kept driving?

Not sure what to make about parking in a disability spot, or how that's relevant, I assume she has a mobility card.

I think the lights was on, about a few hundred meters from the parking lot when car got picked up.  Not something obvious especially when you think you are moving out of the cops way by entering a parking lot.  

Yes we do have a mobility card, my parents are really old and my mom also get a bad surgery on her hip.  It's challenging for her to walk long distances.   The Cayenne air suspension is really helpful for my mom, at the load height it works well... not too high or too low.

• Like 1

Ahh, it wasn't obvious from your first post that it was a couple of hundred metres, that's a reassuring clarification.

Edited by M3AN

12 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Ahh, it wasn't obvious from your first post that it was a couple of hundred metres, that's a reassuring clarification.

No worries.  Although my wife owns the faster cars: M5 and Cayenne she is a pretty slow driver.  Usually only drives locally and brings my mom out on a good day.

So to add to this story a little, half an hour ago - 11:30pm I went to get the mail and put the M5 away (long enough driveway and I'm lazy). I got to the top of the drive and here is a random red sh1tbox o' doom parked in the shadows with some young guy, hoody covering his face, trying to look like there is nothing out of the ordinary. To put it in perspective I live down a small cul de sac, no one parks on the street because all the houses have long driveways and off street parking. So it's pretty obvious when a random car is parking behind a giant hedge row that something is off. Ignoring Level 4 stay at home for a minute I decided to head out and do a lap around the block and come back, sure enough on my return here is a second car parked up next to the red POS. So I stop to find out WTF they are doing, the illegally tinted car just ignores me, so I do the one thing that people who are trying to hide their activity hate, I stood on the horn until lights from surrounding houses started to turn on. Immediately someone dives out of the POS, and from a distance tries to convince me that he lives here. Sure...... you may live somewhere but it's not outside my neighbors house at 11:30pm on a Friday night. I give him a some basic riot act verbals and say I've called the cops - what a shock Mr "I live here" guns it followed by his what I can only describe as a customer coming to collect his score out of the street. 

I head home, decide that I'll do the right thing and see exactly how I can report this - the obvious way is via the you have been a naughty boy / girl Covid site run by the cops. Or I could call 105 and sit on the line for an hour - then get hung up on. Or I can just wait till the morning and call the local plod station, I decided I'll sleep on it and call the plod in the morning, but then I note that all the local station direct dial numbers are now gone from the Police website. So I can't deal directly with the community constable even if I wanted, and I don't fancy calling 105 and waiting forever.

I feel bad for the cops, on one hand they got a raw deal on recruitment thanks to the latest govt, so they are pretty light on the ground and arguably have better things to do than deal with some kids being a nuisance - especially when they are sooo busy patrolling Warehouse carparks and pulling me over for doing shopping with my daughter. (*new comers read the start of this post) 

I feel a bit let down that the basic ability for someone to report non life threatening potential crime (regardless of covid breaches) seems to be reduced to filling out a form on a website that will be dealt with months after the event if at all. I live in a quiet area, like most people on this forum I value the safety of my family and friends - which includes my neighbors. So when a strange car is seen parked up multiple times in a single week in our little dead end street, with other cars coming and going - during lockdown - alarm bells on some level do go off and I would like something done. And I can't help feeling that I would have more luck attracting the attention of the local cops if I was driving the farm hack with no rego and wof, then trying to get them to deal with BS where some pot head is using our street as his new collection spot. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

All I can say is good on you for doing what's right but also be careful because goods, things etc can be replaced but your (and other's) safety is also important. It is a real shame that there is no solid way to report these things and bring to the attention of the police.

Put up large signs saying that there’s camera surveillance and some dummy cameras. 

Have rung 105 a couple of times, had no wait times and they have been very helpful. Guess thats just what happens when you dont live in Dorkland?

3 hours ago, leichtbau said:

Put up large signs saying that there’s camera surveillance and some dummy cameras. 

Better yet put up a real camera.  These days the cameras are very capable (image recognition) and cheap for its price.  Probably about a decade ago I would setup my own server, camera, etc.  I am a bit older and I have deemed this to be low priority.  My wife has been bugging me about it for years, we live on a relatively quiet cul de sac too.  Everyone knows everybody, however things are getting been not so good for past few years.  1 of our neighbors was burglarized.... during the 1st lockdown last year some weirdo went to our property and my son confronted him. Gladly one of our neighbors suspected something wasn't right and was able to take the photo of person and car.

Anyway this is a sample clip of the recently released Nest Camera (battery) https://store.google.com/nz/product/nest_cam_battery?hl=en-GB

The image quality is ok, not the best but it's ability to sift through what is important and noise is very good and useful.  Local AI image processing is super fast.  Putting this up for a few hours and I will take it down (please don't share the link).  Just to convince a few of you that spending a few $ and probably just 15 mins to install it is sure worth it.  I have procrastinated on this, but I think best do it now while in lockdown.  You can also see how crappy the SMG on low speed :D

[edit: link removed]

Edited by Jun
removed video link.
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, qube said:

All I can say is good on you for doing what's right but also be careful because goods, things etc can be replaced but your (and other's) safety is also important. It is a real shame that there is no solid way to report these things and bring to the attention of the police.

Cheers.

5 hours ago, leichtbau said:

Thanks, already have a "CCTV in operation" sign and two cameras at the top of the driveway gate.

5 hours ago, KwS said:

Have rung 105 a couple of times, had no wait times and they have been very helpful. Guess thats just what happens when you dont live in Dorkland?

I think at the moment 105 is getting a hammering so there are delays. The last time I called 105 I felt very much like I was calling a offshore call centre, it was also just after they had launched 105 and I'm sure that it's better now. With any luck I won't need to call and the cops will take care of this via the online report I filed. 

5 hours ago, Jun said:

Better yet put up a real camera.  These days the cameras are very capable (image recognition) and cheap for its price.  Probably about a decade ago I would setup my own server, camera, etc.  I am a bit older and I have deemed this to be low priority.  My wife has been bugging me about it for years, we live on a relatively quiet cul de sac too.  Everyone knows everybody, however things are getting been not so good for past few years.  1 of our neighbors was burglarized.... during the 1st lockdown last year some weirdo went to our property and my son confronted him. Gladly one of our neighbors suspected something wasn't right and was able to take the photo of person and car.

Anyway this is a sample clip of the recently released Nest Camera (battery) https://store.google.com/nz/product/nest_cam_battery?hl=en-GB

The image quality is ok, not the best but it's ability to sift through what is important and noise is very good and useful.  Local AI image processing is super fast.  Putting this up for a few hours and I will take it down (please don't share the link).  Just to convince a few of you that spending a few $ and probably just 15 mins to install it is sure worth it.  I have procrastinated on this, but I think best do it now while in lockdown.  You can also see how crappy the SMG on low speed :D

[edit: link removed]

Thanks, I have a pile of cameras that I installed all over the property. Mainly as I used to travel overseas (those days a gone....) regularly for work and wanted some peace of mind. But I will be installing another camera at the gate that covers the road. And before anyone gets all offended by the idea of CCTV covering the road in front of my house, I spoke with the local cops about a year ago after someone decided to repeatedly over a few nights do burnouts up our street - first thing they asked was "do you or any of your neighbors have CCTV aimed at the road"? I asked them about the legality of that and was basically told that unless one of my neighbors complains about it then the cops are totally onboard with it. A minor pandemic and life got in the way of me installing the camera that I bought specifically for that job. 

• Like 3

I live in a small cul de sac [50-70 houses]  in West Auckland. We have had at least 1 car stolen/attempted theft/vandalism/dumped stolen cars every night since we got locked down. Had to chase lowlifes with my baseball bat last Thursday. They were trying to steal sons car. Cops got them other side of the reserve ,one of the pricks ended up with a few dog bites 😉 . Only saw them because i had put up 4k security cameras a  week before lockdown.

Edited by KillerX
  • Sad 1