Sign in to follow this  
Driftit

BAT E34 540 - $63000USD

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1995-bmw-540i-32/

$63,000usd for a heavily modified 540 that's been resprayed (poorly, check the overspray underneath).
It looks nice.  But the body has done 300K miles.

Just more BAT hype.

Modified 1995 BMW 540i 6-Speed

• Haha 1

It may well be hype, in your opinion. With a sell through rate of 87% in July 2021, its hype that is working with happy buyers and sellers, not only in the US but in Europe now. Fiqures that our beloved TradeMe would struggle to achieve I think😉

Check out the success of Collecting Cars, in Australia, soon to be in NZ and into Asia as well.

Hats off to the owners of both sites for a good job well done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bandit said:

It may well be hype, in your opinion. With a sell through rate of 87% in July 2021, its hype that is working with happy buyers and sellers, not only in the US but in Europe now. Fiqures that our beloved TradeMe would struggle to achieve I think😉

Check out the success of Collecting Cars, in Australia, soon to be in NZ and into Asia as well.

Kudos off to the owners of both sites for a good job well done.

Self admission here: We have bid on several cars, prewar Austin 7 specials, and a coupe of interesting Austin Healey Sprites with excellent competition provenance, but yet to be at the finish as the hammers falls😁

Edited by Bandit

I've bought 2 vehicles (Triumph motorcycle, plus a '73 RX2 Coupe) via Bring a Trailer - both pretty well priced and no untidy surprises upon arrival to NZ.   I keep an eye out on CollectingCars, and they seem to deal in very high end vehicles (think Lamborghini, modern Porsches, Aston Martin etc), and not so much my cup of tea either aesthetically or financially.   I've had the daily emails from BaT for several years now, and these guys have built an exceptional business from the ground up (selling almost 90% of the 60ish cars a day they accept on to their site)   Good for them!!

Pics for self gratification.............

Jack Pine.jpg

rx2 coupe.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@leonf amazing Mazda! 

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top
  • Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 10:32 AM, Driftit said:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1995-bmw-540i-32/

$63,000usd for a heavily modified 540 that's been resprayed (poorly, check the overspray underneath).
It looks nice.  But the body has done 300K miles.

Just more BAT hype.

I've never found it made sense how people modify something extensively to their taste and then add up all the prices of the parts to come up with a resale value. Crazy. 

A factory themed, high quality restoration is another matter, but even then you don't get your money back unless it's a hot market like it is for E30s or something. 

On 8/17/2021 at 11:26 AM, Bandit said:

Hats off to the owners of both sites for a good job well done.

Good on them.  They sell lots of a amazing vehicles that are reaching the correct audiences. 

However, a pretty bodgey, very high mileage, common, typically modified with bolt on parts and cheaply sprayed (that overspray) 540i for $40k more than it was worth.
This is not on par with their normal high end stock.  Yet the car has been made out to be in the same league.

If this was a car dealer doing this you would have the pitch forks out.

48 minutes ago, Driftit said:

Good on them.  They sell lots of a amazing vehicles that are reaching the correct audiences. 

However, a pretty bodgey, very high mileage, common, typically modified with bolt on parts and cheaply sprayed (that overspray) 540i for $40k more than it was worth.
This is not on par with their normal high end stock.  Yet the car has been made out to be in the same league.

If this was a car dealer doing this you would have the pitch forks out.

Hmm the overspray underneath that upsets you may not necessarily be an indicator of the quality of the paint job overall. The market on the day spoke, and bid it to $63K. Sold, end of story. Winner are grinners 😁