Sign in to follow this  
santa

diagnostic scanners - whos using what??

Hi

After a stand alone scanner that is able to show trans fluid temp and reset the trans computer on E87 and E90 as well as all the usual service and reset tools.  Other family have Ford  and Landrover so hopefully l0oking to cover those brands as well with one tool. Not particularly interested in paying annual subscription either  - am I asking to much??? oh and dont want to spend much over $500....................................

Tried to down load and set up ISTA etc but failed miserably. Been looking at the Foxwell NT530

https://www.stahlcar.nz/systems-tools/foxwell-nt530?sort=p.number_sales&order=DESC&limit=30

I have that one, it’s been great for reading codes on my e61 and r53 mini. 
Not sure if it does those functions, but I hope it does as I’m planning to change my trans fluid soon. You get to choose 1 make when you buy it and can then purchase additional makes from there

I have the Foxwell NT530 scanner with BMW software.  Not a bad mid range scanner.   I like it.

Use it in OBD2 mode for fuel trim diagnostics (trims in %) and general engine work. 

Use it in BMW mode for all other modules.  

It does most of the stuff that INPA does.  It has a little less fun functionality in the "Activation" menus than INPA.

The BMW software also covers OBD1/ADS for the older BMW's like E30's and some E36's etc.

One thing it does not do, is it will not code new/replacement modules.

• Like 1

Have you tried Bimmergeeks protools? Im pretty sure it does all that, failing that downloading the installing the BMW software package from their site (with ISTA/INPA etc) is pretty painfree.

Hi Jacko

Will have a look at the Bimmergeeks site. The main issue I have found is that theISTA/ INPA programmes I tried wont run on a WIN10 system or requires you down load files from several sources and play around with them which is beyond me.

The other tool  which looks good on paper is the TopDon SMARTDIAG MINI ODB Diagnostic Scanner (Launch ThinkDiag) but is a subscription based system.

Bimmergeeks also does the Protools app for your phone, could be worth looking into? Looks really indepth and gets good reviews.

The Bimmergeeks looks good, of course I have an apple phome..............................😎