Sign in to follow this  
mzhu031

the new e30?

I remember passing up a mint one of these when I finished uni for 8 grand! 

Not sure if these had any chassis upgrades or are just 318s with a bodykit and wheels 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/318is/listing/3234749686

36 minutes ago, mzhu031 said:

I remember passing up a mint one of these when I finished uni for 8 grand! 

Not sure if these had any chassis upgrades or are just 318s with a bodykit and wheels 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/318is/listing/3234749686

They’re a specific run out model called “318iS Motorsport” at the time, has sports chassis etc and M44 engine, lots of leather and goodies of the time.  Came in wild colours if you liked including this Dakar Yellow and awesome Fiji Green, as well as a dark blue and I think black/charcoal.

They were quite fancy at the time :), made with love in RSA 🇿🇦 .

There are a few forum threads on these, some going back over a decade.  They’re a fondly looked at little 4 door.

Edited by E28E30
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sport suspension and LSD were standard on these i believe.

Edited by aja540i

No LSD as standard unfortunately, however to be fair, you don’t really need it!😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

These up spec late term E36 Sedans are really cool, such a contrast to the hideous base models in rough condition that are often floating around. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Michael. said:

These up spec late term E36 Sedans are really cool, such a contrast to the hideous base models in rough condition that are often floating around. 

I agree- man there is some sh*t out there gaining faux credibility and causing anything not banged up to be called 'clean'. Same can be said for E30s.

These are awesome. Despite not being marketed the same way, they actually did come into NZ in 328i form too; as ZA Motorsport individual models; identifiable by the seat stripes.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, nath said:

I agree- man there is some sh*t out there gaining faux credibility and causing anything not banged up to be called 'clean'. Same can be said for E30s.

These are awesome. Despite not being marketed the same way, they actually did come into NZ in 328i form too; as ZA Motorsport individual models; identifiable by the seat stripes.

and the iron block m52b28, there's been a few sell in the last couple of years. Clearly the better contender if you wanted something more inline with a M3

On 8/25/2021 at 7:25 AM, GlenK said:

No LSD as standard unfortunately, however to be fair, you don’t really need it!😊

They are cool / nice. But I remember driving one before I bought a 328i - man the motor is anaemic. Would be a cool base for a project though.

• Like 1

My first E36 was a 318is, it didn't go past 180 and took an absolute age to get there. Like m325i says, the fruity colours make them a great candidate for a motor swap (Alpina B8 4.6 rep would be cool...)

• Like 1

I think one of the key things to remember here is this is one of only 40 cars so originality is key. I bought mine as a stepping stone into classic car ownership, and to be honest coz I liked the colour. It’s not a powerhouse, but it’s a pretty balanced drive, and it hassled quite a few bigger cars in the twistes on the drive back to Dunedin. Owning it lead to the purchase of an e30 325i sedan, also a manual. The two are chalk and cheese, the 325i has an awesome motor that just makes you want to press the loud pedal, but the MSport also makes me smile every time I drive it for different reasons. A lot of people dis the M44 motors as gutless, but I get just as big a grin from driving the MSport as I do from the 325i.

• Like 6

I have had one of these for my daily driver for 9 years. I also drove a near identical car for 10 years before this one (in another country), so I have been driving the M44 motor for nearly 20 years and 300,000+ kms. It's a bloody great motor and in the E36 chassis has stunning handling and balance, particular with the M-sport suspension and Bilstein dampers.  Any idiot can drift a 328 or M3, it takes really skill to drift 318 as you actually have to BE on the limit, not just spinning the rear wheels. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Cracked $16K! looked a lovely car though

Just goes to show eh, a lot of people thought that this was over priced at $15K, but it shows the usual rarity, plus low kms, and tidy vehicle equals valuable car! Also shows that whomever bought it, really wanted it and will be super stoked to have one of only 40 cars left in the country. I’d say there’s someone out there with the biggest smile on their dial, just like the one I have when I drive mine😊!

• Like 3

41, mine’s a private import. 😛

btw mine had an oem sump guard. Do the nz new ones have this?

1 hour ago, GlenK said:

Just goes to show eh, a lot of people thought that this was over priced at $15K, but it shows the usual rarity, plus low kms, and tidy vehicle equals valuable car! Also shows that whomever bought it, really wanted it and will be super stoked to have one of only 40 cars left in the country. I’d say there’s someone out there with the biggest smile on their dial, just like the one I have when I drive mine😊!

Fiji Green ♥️