Sign in to follow this  
hugo_nz

BMW prices IX for New Zealand

13 minutes ago, hugo_nz said:

240kW/630Nm iX xDrive40 Sport  - $163,900

385kW/765Nm iX xDrive50 Sport - $197,900.

Bottom line though - it's ugly as sin.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/evs/126176084/bmw-prices-allelectric-ix-suv-for-new-zealand

Jesus, expensive? And ugly.  Poor thing lol but people will still buy it

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Also"

Above the grille is a BMW logo that opens up to double as a spot to refill the wiper fluid like the small door on the fender of the Mercedes-Benz EQS. This port is necessary because the iX’s “hood” cannot be opened without a special tool, and this also means that there is no frunk.

Expensive, ugly AND no extra storage lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thats not just modern BMW ugly, thats proper U.G.L.Y ugly.

• Like 3

Comparable to its competition and the X5 pricing it’s not what I’d call overpriced. It’s a technology showcase as well so will lead a heap on new innovations that will flow across the brand. Spec sounds really high as well. Range is very strong.

Direct competition eTron 55, EQC is to small and a ix3 competitor, Model X and iPace.

Similar eTron spec and power and ipace are both $190k mark.
Model X can’t get currently.

While the styling is polarising and not what I would class as pretty, I remember the same conversation around the E60 some time back ……. I kinda like it

But not as much as an iPace from Jaguar 🐆 

• Like 2

How long after the warranty finishes will the batteries start to rapidly degrade? And I bet they're "uneconomic" to replace. 

Not suggesting that's any different to other brands but it's a big risk to take, especially when these reach the second hand market.

Edit: and yes, it's ugly as Dante's spawn.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

Current estimations are that “useable” battery life will be on average over double the warranty period. It’s still growing though as the data being used for the calculations is from the BMW batteries already in use, mostly i3s of which the oldest is only just over 9 years.

On top of that the BMW battery design consists of multiple smaller battery packs, so should there be an issue with one pack it can be replaced rather than having to swap the whole battery out - making a more economical fix.

• Like 2

A "more economical" fix is relative, it could still be exorbitant and uneconomic.

What's the replacement cost for the batteries (or modular packs)? BMW must know that already, is it published anywhere do you know? I'd consider any claim about the economics of it dubious unless the numbers are out there for public scrutiny.

Without that data it's a futile calculation. I'm betting "uneconomical" is the answer, call me a sceptic if you like.

A definition, or even a value, for “uneconomical” would be a starting point..?

I would be using a similar definition as the insurance company along the lines of “beyond economical repair”. Will it be the same as an oil change in a petrol car.. no. 

The cost of replacement will vary from vehicle to vehicle as access to the modules varies and is not a simple process. I personally am quite concerned about the day that an unqualified mechanic, or worse diy-er, decides to rip into an EV (BMW or otherwise) and finds out the punch packed by the batteries is a lot greater than normal 12v car batteries.

42 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

A definition, or even a value, for “uneconomical” would be a starting point..?

I would be using a similar definition as the insurance company along the lines of “beyond economical repair”.

You answered your own question, in consecutive sentences.

What do the BMW replacement batteries cost, however they come?

2 hours ago, M3AN said:

A "more economical" fix is relative, it could still be exorbitant and uneconomic.

What's the replacement cost for the batteries (or modular packs)? BMW must know that already, is it published anywhere do you know? I'd consider any claim about the economics of it dubious unless the numbers are out there for public scrutiny.

Without that data it's a futile calculation. I'm betting "uneconomical" is the answer, call me a sceptic if you like.

Don’t know about the iX batteries but the battery pack in my e-tron is…wait for it…$136k. Yup, thats the official latest Audi price. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Ouch considering that lithium ion batteries are only about $20k at commercial pricing for that capacity. 

10 hours ago, M3AN said:

How long after the warranty finishes will the batteries start to rapidly degrade? And I bet they're "uneconomic" to replace. 

Not suggesting that's any different to other brands but it's a big risk to take, especially when these reach the second hand market.

Edit: and yes, it's ugly as Dante's spawn.

Lets say for sake of discussion that the usable life of the battery pack is 15 years, how much would you spend on an old fashioned petrol powered car over that time frame, factoring in all servicing, running, and repair costs? Now how does that compare to the cost of a replacement battery? The difference is that the battery is one big cost, borne by the owner at the time, the petrol running costs are a lot of smaller costs, possibly borne by several different owners. This is one of the things to consider when thinking of going to an EV, but it is not a reason to never do it, although I will forgive anyone for not choosing this particular EV, there are nicer looking KIAs!

• Like 1

The Audi battery pack being priced so high will be to comply with right to repair laws and places where it’s mandatory to have replacement parts available for a minimum number of years past the sale of the item.

Audi don’t expect to sell any of them, they don’t want to sell any of them, insurances companies won’t want to be on the hook for them, but there’s nothing in the legislation as it’s written that says the pricing has to be fair. Samsung also do the same thing.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, aja540i said:

Lets say for sake of discussion that the usable life of the battery pack is 15 years, how much would you spend on an old fashioned petrol powered car over that time frame, factoring in all servicing, running, and repair costs? Now how does that compare to the cost of a replacement battery? The difference is that the battery is one big cost, borne by the owner at the time, the petrol running costs are a lot of smaller costs, possibly borne by several different owners. This is one of the things to consider when thinking of going to an EV, but it is not a reason to never do it, although I will forgive anyone for not choosing this particular EV, there are nicer looking KIAs!

Yep, I get that scenario, spread over a long enough period the total cost may be okay. But of course we currently expect cars to last more than (for example) 15 years. My 130 is currently 11 years old, my M3 is 25, I expect them both to last much longer. And then there are other scenarios such as a crash, what happens if a battery is irreparably damaged 5 months after dropping $200k on a silly looking SUV? And, although I've yet to get my head around it, I'm sure there will be implications for various lease and buyback arrangements.

This isn't a problem unique to BMW, or even batteries (think carbon fibre monocoque chassis vehicles), but I'm still keen to know what BMW charges for replacement batteries.

Jesus there is some mind numbing chat in this thread... does it actually matter what the cost of a battery is? It has a 7 year warranty I assume so it's a non issue what it costs now, ask again in 7 years. New vehicle parts always cost a stupid amount when under warranty and drop down afterwards.

Not to mention it's not like you will ever buy an iX, you've made that clear so does it matter?

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Jesus there is some mind numbing chat in this thread... does it actually matter what the cost of a battery is? It has a 7 year warranty I assume so it's a non issue what it costs now, ask again in 7 years. New vehicle parts always cost a stupid amount when under warranty and drop down afterwards.

Not to mention it's not like you will ever buy an iX, you've made that clear so does it matter?

Yes, it's simply a matter of interest, you might not be interested, that's cool too.

How much might a battery cost if it were damaged in an accident is quite relevant to the economics of owning one of these, or indeed any electric/hybrid car. I'm sure there are other scenarios that have nothing to do with the length of the warranty.

I also imagine that if they're expensive to replace, as I think we can all assume they are, that insurance premiums will probably reflect that.

So yeah, it would be good to know what replacement batteries cost, it's a reasonable question.

What's the cost on a X5 transmission? M5 engine? None of these costs are relevant when buying a new vehicle so why does it apply to a electric vehicle?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gaz said:

None of these costs are relevant when buying a new vehicle so why does it apply to a electric vehicle?

It’s one of the big fears of electric vehicles - what if I run out of range? When will the batteries decay? How much will they cost to replace? Will it catch fire? Does it use 5G? Will it give me COVID?

Some of these are valid, and are to be expected when people are faced with something that is different to their usual experiences. Unfortunately there are some, including media, who like to sensationalise things and feed these fears. Leading to the more obscure ones coming up and gaining traction.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, M3AN said:

And then there are other scenarios such as a crash, what happens if a battery is irreparably damaged 5 months after dropping $200k on a silly looking SUV? 

I think I understand your point, and I believe it would be a fairly major component that would have to be added to the repair bill like any other damaged items. However, in the case of the electric batteries, due to their location in the vehicles I would say the level of damage required to affect the battery packs would mean that would be a small part of the overall problems and cost.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gaz said:

. New vehicle parts always cost a stupid amount when under warranty and drop down afterwards.

Lithium, cobalt, nickle, all the materials are going up in value if you look at the market price trends of these materials. I suspect that will be reflected in the prices of parts that use those materials in years to come. 

1 hour ago, Michael. said:

Lithium, cobalt, nickle, all the materials are going up in value 

imagine people nicking the batteries out of Leafs to be sold to remanufacturers. 

You mean re-cycling? Or even up-cycling in the case Leaf batteries, Up-cycling!

It has already got to the point where re-cycling the old batteries has become viable, even in Aussie there’s a company. There was some news about a Kiwi start up getting involved here as well.

Whilst the raw materials may increase in price, this is offset by the manufacturing costs dropping due to the refinement of the processes and increased economies of scale in the production.