Sign in to follow this  
User Name

E28 Suspension - What to buy (advise)

Hi All

So my project has been on hold for quite some time. For multiple reasons i wont bore you with my sad life of the last 5 years.
So think i am going to sell my only two toys worth anything here in NZ as i did a couple of bike restorations (only 1 or 2) in the country and due to shipping becoming so expensive and the cost of restoration i lost large so that plan failed.

So i know there are multiple options for E28 when it comes to suspension and suspension parts now compared to 10 years ago when i started this project.
I was thinking of talking to Speedfactor and seeing what there recommendations are and possibly contact BC racing and XYB.

I am aware that there are E34 lower control arms that are an upgrade and few things like strut bars.

My real question is where do i start, cause in my head that would be get an overview of prices. Then build the vehicle engine/rollcage (As it will probably need one)/fuel tank etc get it on a set of scales and go from there depending on the direction i go.

Yes this is being built as a street style car but i don't really see it staying that way as if setup works i will probably clone it cause i would love to see it on the strip but know a track/street car doesn't always work as a drag car.

Any help or a point in the right direction is appreciated.

I think there is only one good (as in quality of parts) answer:

https://www.iemotorsport.com/product/sport-springs-e28-e24/

Ireland Engineering custom (ish) E28 Springs plus Bilstein B8 Sports Shocks. Not extreme (barely even the 1inch they claim drop) but actually good suspension.  Seeing you are looking at Coilovers and Track usage however, maybe you want something more extreme.

Ive done these and also the E34 Brake upgrade and the Alu control arms. Its also getting finished soon (Covid, cert pending) with an M54B30 engine and manual. Then maybe upper strut braces front and rear.

Edited by Kodachrome

On 8/27/2021 at 10:03 AM, Kodachrome said:

I think there is only one good (as in quality of parts) answer:

https://www.iemotorsport.com/product/sport-springs-e28-e24/

Ireland Engineering custom (ish) E28 Springs plus Bilstein B8 Sports Shocks. Not extreme (barely even the 1inch they claim drop) but actually good suspension.  Seeing you are looking at Coilovers and Track usage however, maybe you want something more extreme.

Ive done these and also the E34 Brake upgrade and the Alu control arms. Its also getting finished soon (Covid, cert pending) with an M54B30 engine and manual. Then maybe upper strut braces front and rear.

Thanks Alan for the response :)

Ireland Engineering is probably one of the few places i haven't contact in awhile, i was focusing on places in the US and Some in Aussie only cause i have friends there so shipping can sometimes be easy (well not anymore haha)

Its strange as i was trying to keep the car pretty stock but as my power levels grew and new technology has come its hard to now not by those little extras.

I previous had the 540/750 brake setup the biggest you can fit under the stock 15" rims was a good setup until i sold it to another member on here who moved back to the UK (think it was)

Your engine swap sounds like some good fun and probably more reliable , good luck with the cert (also good to know the are eventually going to QR code or similar so no stupid plates and it can updated without having to get plate updated) its meant to lower overall cost which i think is good as LVV Certs is a painful process (for me my local vtnz doesn't like me or my cars)

Have a good week and hopefully in the future some updates from both of us :)

• Like 1